ADSB weather on Avare, finally(for me)

exncsurfer

Pattern Altitude
Display Name

Display name:
exncsurfer
I finally saw my first ADSB weather in the Avare app today. Oddly enough, I was on the ground. I had tried it a couple of times in flight and was never able to see anything, but I didn't really know what to look for or where to look, so I drove to an ADSB ground station today to test it out, using a Stratux.

So, what I saw was:
If you set the weather to METAR, if you are receiving ADSB weather, the METARs will show up as green circle (or whatever flight rule color is in effect) over the airports. If you long-press on the circle, you see any additional weather that was retrieved, winds aloft, TAF, pireps, etc. I noticed one airport was showing the TAF before the METAR showed up, so I guess all the various data comes through at random intervals. One thing I was surprised to see was that it was receiving METARS from everywhere, all over the US, not local or any distance radius that I could discern. (I saw JFK from NC). I figured to save bandwidth it might do a 500 mile radius, but I guess that makes sense to broadcast it all if you have bandwidth for it.
If you set the weather display to NEXRAD, you'll see the radar returns drawn on the map. I don't know if there is a way to get the time from that or not to know if you're looking at 15 min or 60 min old data. OK, nevermind, I just found it, if you scroll to the bottom of a 'long press' weather screen, there is a "Weather/SUA Source" and "Weather Layer Time' shown there, nice!

I have yet to see any in flight traffic via my Stratux in two or three flights, but maybe my area isn't full of ADSB capable targets yet. (either to see or to activate my puck area) I have seen them from the ground though so I know it should work.

Last edited:
If you are close to an airport that transmits you can get it on the ground. In many locations you may have to be at or above 2-3000Ft. AGL. If Avare users do not get the Wx, and you have an older BIOS in your ADSB device / Stratux, try to update your BIOS.

If you are close to an airport that transmits you can get it on the ground. In many locations you may have to be at or above 2-3000Ft. AGL. If Avare users do not get the Wx, and you have an older BIOS in your ADSB device / Stratux, try to update your BIOS.
Yep, I had to drive 20 minutes to the ADSB station. It is not at the airport here unfortunately.

. If Avare users do not get the Wx, and you have an older BIOS in your ADSB device / Stratux, try to update your BIOS.

Actually, it is my understanding that the ARM SoC in the Raspberry Pi uses a 32bit multi+stage bootloader rather than BIOS. ;)

Actually, it is my understanding that the ARM SoC in the Raspberry Pi uses a 32bit multi+stage bootloader rather than BIOS. ;)
He probably meant overwrite the SD with the latest stable stratux build. :)

Back