ADSB question / collisions

There is a Wow! factor to looking at an ADSB in screen. I’ve seen numerous YouTube videos of guys just astonished at seeing all the traffic but a couple of points. They would probably have seen that Piper a thousand feet below if they hadn’t been so captivated by their iPad screen and number two - none of the traffic on the screen that they are devoting so much attention to has any bearing on them. Not at same altitude and not on a course that is going to intersect them. In some ways it’s more of a distraction than anything else.

But there are still people who now cannot so much as even imagine flying without all of that colorful yet meaningless data streaming into their eyes.

There is a Wow! factor to looking at an ADSB in screen. I’ve seen numerous YouTube videos of guys just astonished at seeing all the traffic but a couple of points. They would probably have seen that Piper a thousand feet below if they hadn’t been so captivated by their iPad screen and number two - none of the traffic on the screen that they are devoting so much attention to has any bearing on them. Not at same altitude and not on a course that is going to intersect them. In some ways it’s more of a distraction than anything else.

But there are still people who now cannot so much as even imagine flying without all of that colorful yet meaningless data streaming into their eyes.

Why are you guys so intent on believing everybody who utilizes ADSB-in does nothing but stare at their screen? I have personally had it to alert me of what would have been a very close call of a near head-on at 7500 feet with a closing speed of about 350mph. It was nice having a warning before I could see him with only a few seconds to do something. What if I'd been looking at some other section of the sky and wasted a few of those seconds? As it turned out, he had ADSB as well and took evasive action before I felt I had to and rocked his wings going by. It's pretty hard to see an RV approaching on a 170 deg heading when you're on a 4 deg heading at the same altitude, until you're already closer than you want to be!

They would probably have seen that Piper a thousand feet below if they hadn’t been so captivated by their iPad screen

Maybe. On the other hand, I can't find a non-trivial fraction of the traffic ATC warns me about; a backup confirmation of where they are would be nice. Maybe I'm just more blind than most... but I doubt it.

Maybe. On the other hand, I can't find a non-trivial fraction of the traffic ATC warns me about; a backup confirmation of where they are would be nice. Maybe I'm just more blind than most... but I doubt it.

After flying with ADS-B for a while, I’ve realized that it’s very hard to spot GA traffic more than 2 to 3 miles away. I frequenly spot it on ADS-B first, then visually, then get a point-out from ATC. It’s nice to be able to reply in-sight right after they call it.

I'm in the same boat as deyoung, I don't know how you guys are comfortable with see and avoid in practice; I have a heck of a time finding other traffic and also re-establishing visual contact if I lose it.

I know it’s another tool and I’m not advocating eschewing technology. I’m just pointing out how many people go overboard in their assessment of its value. Like the Piper that’s a thousand feet below you. Maybe you wouldn’t have seen it but it, along with most likely all of the other targets on your screen, is of no relevance, you guys aren’t gonna hit each other.

So, just like any other gadget, you need to learn how to use it effectively and resist the notion that without it you are surely going to die in a midair collision. That’s all I’m saying.

Back