ADSB install in Pennsylvania

It is at the top of the rudder. I’ve received a few different opinions and such about that.

Jason I have a Comanche and nav light at top also. Would probably take you 30 minutes or so to install, if your wiring is long enough. If it isn’t it can be a pain to extend. At least on mine it was. Because of that it still only took approx 1-11/2 hours including paperwork and programming. Don’t let someone stick you because an idiot could do it. Unfortunately you need to know an IA to sign the 337. Works great.

Jason I have a Comanche and nav light at top also. Would probably take you 30 minutes or so to install, if your wiring is long enough. If it isn’t it can be a pain to extend. At least on mine it was. Because of that it still only took approx 1-11/2 hours including paperwork and programming. Don’t let someone stick you because an idiot could do it. Unfortunately you need to know an IA to sign the 337. Works great.

I have it scheduled to get installed at a reasonable price. I did have an IA, who won’t install any uavionix stuff, say since it is being mounted on a control surface, top of the rudder, it’s going to affect the controls now. Ive read the difference between the beacon and nav light is a matter of grams.

I've been reading that several uavionix owners are seeing water condensation buildup and there's no hole for the water to drain so it starts to fill up. Not sure if it's been impacting the signal but I do know of two (another forum) that needed to have their units replaced. Not trying to be alarmist but I'm looking for adsb-out myself and while I don't know if the issue is limited or more widespread, it's enough to make me think about an alternative.

I've been reading that several uavionix owners are seeing water condensation buildup and there's no hole for the water to drain so it starts to fill up. Not sure if it's been impacting the signal but I do know of two (another forum) that needed to have their units replaced. Not trying to be alarmist but I'm looking for adsb-out myself and while I don't know if the issue is limited or more widespread, it's enough to make me think about an alternative.
Well this is Interesting. First I’m hearing of this. can you send me a link to the thread or website with these complaints? Mine is scheduled to go in on Friday.

Well this is Interesting. First I’m hearing of this. can you send me a link to the thread or website with these complaints? Mine is scheduled to go in on Friday.

I re-read the thread (Beech Aero Club) and it appears one individual (not two) needed a new Tailbeacon unit. He also said Uavionix was extremely responsive and he had a new unit two days later. I would think if this were more widespread we'd also be reading of it elsewhere. I just don't like the idea of the condensation buildup.

Last edited:
I re-read the thread (Beech Aero Club) and it appears one individual (not two) needed a new Tailbeacon unit. He also said Uavionix was extremely responsive and he had a new unit two days later. I would think if this was more widespread we'd also be reading of it elsewhere. I just don't like the idea of the condensation buildup.
Yeah I spoke with one installer who had an issue with a tail beacon. Said everytime it was on the VOR indicator was all screwed up and not reading correctly. Through trial and error, they found it was a bad ground going into the original tail light.

Just an update here. Had a tail beacon installed installed in PA. Total cost was $2150. Aircraft was flown and Adam is all good and checked out. The mechanic did find an old hornets nest behind the tail light.

Just an update here. Had a tail beacon installed installed in PA. Total cost was $2150. Aircraft was flown and Adam is all good and checked out. The mechanic did find an old hornets nest behind the tail light.
How's the Tail beacon working for you so far? Where in PA did you get it installed? thx

Keep in mind avionics shops are still very busy with ADSB installs, of course people do other upgrades, while they’ve got it in the shop!

How's the Tail beacon working for you so far? Where in PA did you get it installed? thx
Tail beacon has been great. Confirmed with atc and ran the online reports.
Mountain aviation in Danville, pa, did they install. Great work in just a few hours total with paperwork.

Back