ADSB-Compliance

Let'sgoflying!

Touchdown! Greaser!
Display Name

Display name:
Dave Taylor
What else is needed to be compliant with these provided specs?
Are these old/aged/middle of the road/newish/cutting edge?

Garmin 480 WAAS Nav/Com GPS
Garmin SL-60 Nav/Com
Garmin GDL 69 XM Weather
Garmin GTX-330 with traffic

What else is needed to be compliant with these provided specs?
Are these old/aged/middle of the road/newish/cutting edge?

Garmin 480 WAAS Nav/Com GPS
Garmin SL-60 Nav/Com
Garmin GDL 69 XM Weather
Garmin GTX-330 with traffic

Just be aware that the GTX330 traffic is nowhere near the like GTX345 traffic. The 330 traffic is almost useless IMHO. The GDL69 is a satellite receiver so no traffic or ADS-B in products. A portable ADS-B receiver may get you what you want tho.

All radios are about like an iPhone 1 compared to an iPhone 6. (They are old radios.) The SL60 shows no repair services offered.

https://fly.garmin.com/fly-garmin/support/warranty-information/out-of-warranty

Last edited:
So update the 330 to 330es for $2000 installed to be compliant with OUT.
What would it take to provide for IN?
And the radios are date; some no longer supported although standalone shops might be able to fix.
The only thing there needing regular software/database updates is the 480 - what would that cost per year?

The 330ES would be the easiest install. You could get a 345, but that's a $4500 box in and of itself. Once you go that route you'll need a new tray and wiring harness. Also I am not sure what the 480 can display with regards to WX and traffic. Having that on your iPad may be a better bet.

Once you have out, the ADS-b in through a device like a stratus or a Scout will be much improved as the FAA will now send you all of the traffic in your hockey puck.

If you want to spend all of the $$$ you could always get a Lynx NGT-9000 though.

You've already got a good setup.

All you need is an ADSB solution that satisfies the out requirement. The 330ES upgrade will do. There's also the coming GDL82 which is going to only be $1795 and it includes the necessary WAAS as well. There may be even less expensive boxes like the GDL82 that don't have WAAS in them.

Noway would I replace your transponder with a GTX345. The bang for the buck doesn't make sense given you already have a 330 that can interface with much cheaper ADSB solutions. If you want IN for your iPad, use a Stratux or Stratus.

ADSB has gotten very affordable at this point. Our club was going to WAAS our 430 and replace the transponder because that seems to be the common thought. After a little research, we can get a GDL82 installed that has the WAAS signal we need, not have to spend 4k to WAAS the 430 and keep our current GTX330. For about 2k, we are done. All the money saved can now go toward putting a Pro Pilot A/P in the 182.

Last edited:
The GDL82 is an interesting box, but keep in mind that it is a UAT out only solution. So <18k and US only since the rest of the world will require 1090 out (so no Canada or Mexico). I personally think that Garmin dropped the ball in not putting in a ADS-b in receiver into that box. That would make it sell like hotcakes for anyone not concerned with the limits of UAT.

Short of that for a few hundred more $$$ you can get a stratux ESG with a WAAS source and without the limitations of UAT. Oh as an added benefit you get a new transponder. I wonder how many people with old KT-76s that choose a UAT solution will have their old transponders fail in a few years.

Does the 480 display traffic and wx? If not, you'll need something that can to get the benefit of the in. As opposed to the ES upgrade for 2000 and then getting a stratus 2s for 800 (or whatever it is) you can find 345's for just over 4000. I personally would do that so it bluetooths to your ipad for wx and traffic. Of course this is all if the 480 doesn't display this stuff. If it does I guess the ES upgrade would be ok.

*Disclaimer: I'm pretty low on my ADSB knowledge. I'm installing a 345 and waas'ing my 530/430 on monday along with a G4 twin.

Does the 480 display traffic and wx? If not, you'll need something that can to get the benefit of the in. As opposed to the ES upgrade for 2000 and then getting a stratus 2s for 800 (or whatever it is) you can find 345's for just over 4000. I personally would do that so it bluetooths to your ipad for wx and traffic. Of course this is all if the 480 doesn't display this stuff. If it does I guess the ES upgrade would be ok.

*Disclaimer: I'm pretty low on my ADSB knowledge. I'm installing a 345 and waas'ing my 530/430 on monday along with a G4 twin.

A 480 can display traffic and weather from an ADSB source.

If he wants IN + OUT, this is the best bet to work with the equipment he already has (second one down): http://www.navworx.com

It's got internal wifi as well so you can see it on your iPad. $1499 for the box + install and antenna. All in, it's less than half the cost of putting a GTX345 in (although selling the GTX330 may make up for some of that).

So update the 330 to 330es for $2000 installed to be compliant with OUT.
What would it take to provide for IN?
And the radios are date; some no longer supported although standalone shops might be able to fix.
The only thing there needing regular software/database updates is the 480 - what would that cost per year?

Given that you want IN as well, this is the ticket: http://www.navworx.com

Second one down is the ADS600-B with no WAAS (since you already have it from your 480). Includes Out for compliance + IN. $1499 and will display traffic and weather on your 480. With interface with your existing GTX330 no problem.

That'll give you all the functionality you want at the lowest cost.

We went with the 430W upgrade to get precision GPS approaches. We also got the non-gps version of the GTX345.

Installed was about $11k. I don't think I'd recommend it to anyone, though. The traffic on the 430 was routinely WAY far away. Who cares? The weather depiction is nice, but all in all, I'd rather have $8k in the bank.

Specially when Lycoming is issuing mandatory SB's.

/Rant over/

We went with the 430W upgrade to get precision GPS approaches. We also got the non-gps version of the GTX345.

Installed was about $11k. I don't think I'd recommend it to anyone, though. The traffic on the 430 was routinely WAY far away. Who cares? The weather depiction is nice, but all in all, I'd rather have $8k in the bank.

Specially when Lycoming is issuing mandatory SB's.

/Rant over/

I just had a GTX345 installed, cost was $6500. I already have a 430W, so that part was already done. They did replace the coax as that was getting bad.

I love the onboard traffic and weather, although I mostly watch it on my tablet.

Short of that for a few hundred more $$$ you can get a stratux ESG ...

Just for error correction because the OP could get confused.

Stratus ESG.

Stratux is something else.

Peter's autocorrect probably flipped that letter for him.

Need to comply, not really.

But yeah it's a fool if you buy avoinics within the next year

Unless things have changed recently, ADS-B out is not required nor will be required in Canada or Mexico for some time.

Mexico is adding it for 2020, but it is not clear if they will make that date. All 1090ES and kicks in at 10000 MSL and airspace similar to US.

Searched about the GDL82 and this thread came up...
So my partner and I have been weighing our ADS-B options for the upcoming mandate, and we are considering the GDL82. We have a 430 non-WAAS, and a GTX327. I also got a Stratus 2S for my birthday, so that would take care of the "In" portion. Is the GDL82 our best bet, or are there better options out there? We don't really want to spend the 4k to WAAS our 430 in a '69 Cherokee that's only worth about 40k to begin with.

0623B1.jpg

But if you want to, just ES the 330 and run some wire.

Or wait till after 2020 and find a better option, I'd want something that wouldn't send my personal info (n number) 24/7 for saftey reasons.

Searched about the GDL82 and this thread came up...
So my partner and I have been weighing our ADS-B options for the upcoming mandate, and we are considering the GDL82. We have a 430 non-WAAS, and a GTX327. I also got a Stratus 2S for my birthday, so that would take care of the "In" portion. Is the GDL82 our best bet, or are there better options out there? We don't really want to spend the 4k to WAAS our 430 in a '69 Cherokee that's only worth about 40k to begin with.
Good luck. I'm in the same boat; shop says about $5K to be compliant. That buys a lot of gas, or the hangar for a year...

Good luck. I'm in the same boat; shop says about $5K to be compliant. That buys a lot of gas, or the hangar for a year...
Jeez Louise. The GDL82 is only $1795. Surely installation isn't $3,000? Definitely hard to justify complying when it's that expensive. What option was your shop presenting for that kind of cash?

Jeez Louise. The GDL82 is only $1795. Surely installation isn't $3,000? Definitely hard to justify complying when it's that expensive. What option was your shop presenting for that kind of cash?
I think it would also be replacing my old 4096 transponder.

But installation in your scenario is going to be an easy $1000, plus antenna. So $3K is the minimum, which is still an outrage, esp since you can not use the WAAS for anything else in your panel.

Back