ADs & SBs

smv

Pattern Altitude
Display Name

Display name:
smv
As an independent CFI, many of the aircraft in which I instruct are privately owned and not managed by an FBO or flight school. Before taking on a new aircraft, I do my best to find all of the ADs and SBs applicable to that particular aircraft, by serial number. Then I insist I be allowed to look through the logbooks before getting in the aircraft. As hard as I try to be thorough, it seems I always miss one or two in my research. While cruising through the logbooks I usually find documentation of a couple ADs that I did not find during my search. This means my sources are not really as good as they probably could be...

One would think the FAA's site <https://www.faa.gov/regulations_policies/airworthiness_directives/> would be a good source but so far... notsomuch.

Is there a better, or easier to use/read/gather/understand source for this information?

As an independent CFI, many of the aircraft in which I instruct are privately owned and not managed by an FBO or flight school. Before taking on a new aircraft, I do my best to find all of the ADs and SBs applicable to that particular aircraft, by serial number. Then I insist I be allowed to look through the logbooks before getting in the aircraft. As hard as I try to be thorough, it seems I always miss one or two in my research. While cruising through the logbooks I usually find documentation of a couple ADs that I did not find during my search. This means my sources are not really as good as they probably could be...

One would think the FAA's site <https://www.faa.gov/regulations_policies/airworthiness_directives/> would be a good source but so far... notsomuch.

Is there a better, or easier to use/read/gather/understand source for this information?

as a part 91 operator your responsibility is ended. It is all up to the owner.
There is no SB required in part 91.
The owner is responsible for maintain the A/C.

as a part 91 operator your responsibility is ended. It is all up to the owner.
There is no SB required in part 91.
The owner is responsible for maintain the A/C.

It’s interesting. My read was that his concern was one of safety and not airworthiness. But I could be wrong.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I don't think a CFI is necessarily qualified or trained to interpret AD's. That is the job of the A&P/IA. Even as an A&P, some AD's are difficult to research and interpret. Now...with that being said, if the CFI wants to verify the aircraft has had an annual inspection, transponder and pitot static check, that is not a problem. Service Bulletins are not mandatory.

Shouldn’t the plane’s annual inspection have an AD “research log”? This documents that the mechanic assessed each AD that is effective for that plane’s serial number and equipment to ensure it is completed.

I don’t know if it’s a legal requirement to document the research and the check, but my plane has it.

Missed that OP was a CFI. I'd suggest rather than you looking up every AD/SB, you ask for the logbooks and AD compliance record. Think you can get a pretty good sense of whether or not the aircraft has been well maintained or not. To TomD's response it's the owner's responsibility, but your a$$ is in the seat. Make yourself comfortable, but make the owner/student do (and learn) what needs to be done to comply.

The real answer is it's damn near impossible to catch them all. Airframe and engine are easy. The faa search usually catches them all, the problem is accessories. They are listed by manufacturer, so it's a big job. Even adlog and the other software packages miss some of them. I doubt the faa and the manufacture could get them all.

Example. On my pa-30 there is an ad on the aileron nose rib. There was an entry that the service kit was installed, which is a terminating action. Only problem was, years later there is an entry for replacement of the ailerons with servicable units due to hail damage. Problem was there was no documentation showing the kits had been installed on the replacement units, so the repetitive inspection then applied. It Had not Been logged in years. Even the most careful A&P IA will sometimes miss one.

Shouldn’t the plane’s annual inspection have an AD “research log”? This documents that the mechanic assessed each AD that is effective for that plane’s serial number and equipment to ensure it is completed.
The IA is not required to create a new AD log, but it definitely makes it easier for A&P’s in the future to verify compliance.

Are you looking to review the owner's existing AD compliance or are you trying to externally verify the owner's AD compliance?

FYI: As mentioned, OEM SB's are not mandatory for Part 91 private aircraft.

Shouldn’t the plane’s annual inspection have an AD “research log”?
As mentioned, the IA only needs to verify the aircraft "meets the applicable ADs..." which they can do in any manner they choose.
if it’s a legal requirement to document
The legal side of a current AD list falls to the owner in 91.417:
"(v) The current status of applicable airworthiness directives (AD) and safety directives including, for each, the method of compliance, the AD or safety directive number and revision date. If the AD or safety directive involves recurring action, the time and date when the next action is required."

Thank you all for your responses. Some responses to your responses:

Yes. My motivation is mostly safety. I certainly do not want the wings falling off, so to speak. However, since "No person may operate a civil aircraft unless it is in an airworthy condition." as PIC it is my responsibility. In the past, as an employee of an organization, I mostly relied upon the mechanics and maintenance managers to worry about those things and as long as the latest 100hr or Annual was recorded, I assumed all of the ADs had been complied with. Since there are no such people and checksteps in the chain anymore, I need to be more vigilant in ensuring the aircraft is airworthy. I would sure hate to have an incident and lose my certificate for "operating" an aircraft that was determined to be non-airworthy for missing an unrelated-to-the-incident periodic inspection

The point made that one can usually determine the overall maintenance condition of the aircraft by browsing the logs is a good one and one that I have noticed. It was the completeness and organization of the AD log on a particular aircraft that made me realize just how poor my own research was.

Perhaps, from a legal perspective, I am overthinking this and all I really need to do is verify the latest inspections have been completed and properly documented and just roll with that... but from a "wings falling off" perspective, I really would like to KNOW that the ADs have been done. Without knowing what they are, even the best documented logs could easily miss one or two...

the overall maintenance condition of the aircraft
FWIW: when I approach a new to me aircraft I request to look at the items required in 91.9, 91.203, and 91.417. Based on their general availability, currentness, completeness, and condition along with the basic condition of the aircraft you can usually determine the owners approach to maintenance and airworthiness. Plus reviewing those items goes along way to keep you in line with 91.7.

As mentioned, the IA only needs to verify the aircraft "meets the applicable ADs..." which they can do in any manner they choose.
there ya go. ! :)

seldom do I see CFIs that are qualified to determine airworthiness, and there are a few A&P-IAs that have problems.

ADlog.com makes it as simple as it gets, but it can be messed up too.

I love ADLog. Currently the subscription is $38/year. Setup cost me $180 for the first year, and I got all the bells and whistles for my little Warrior. I got the 2-1/2" binder.

http://www.adlog.com/

Binder separators are:
General Information
Aircraft Inspection Status
Airframe log
Engine log
Propeller log
Avionics
Applicable Airworthiness Directives
ADs Permanently Complied With
ADs Requiring Additional Compliance
Major Alterations & Alteration Forms (FAA Form 337)
Weight & Balance Papers
Factory Service Notes or Bulletins
Maintenance Release or 8130-3 Forms
Oil Analysis

It was interesting that when ADLog first showed up with all the historical ADs, Tom-D hadn't missed any.

Back