ADS-B used for enforcement. Interesting letter---

Just adding that the policy was updated, as your post, although correct, didn't allude to the changes.
Yes, although K&N weren't the reason it was updated. And without knowing specifically what they agreed to in connection with the fine, they may still be prohibited (If they did some form of consent decree in which they agreed to get a permit forever in the future, they may be bound by that outside of the overall policy change - unless the agency rescinds the restriction). Bottom line: their mess may not yet be cleared up.

I’m gonna guess it has some kind of prohibit language in it along with fines and sentences inasmuch as it’s a Law.
Of course, but the National Park Service and other affected agencies have a need for pilots to be aware of which areas the "prohibit language" applies to. The most effective way to bring that about is to put the information on aeronautical charts, as is done for the Grand Canyon, and as used to be done for Yosemite.

Grand Canyon Notice.png

Of course, but the National Park Service and other affected agencies have a need for pilots to be aware of which areas the "prohibit language" applies to. The most effective way to bring that about is to put the information on aeronautical charts, as is done for the Grand Canyon, and as used to be done for Yosemite.

View attachment 96421
Yeah. Grand Canyon is easy, ya go to FAR 93 to see what you can and can’t do. Boo Boo and ya got the Department of Transportation on your azz. For Yosemite and others ya got the Interior Department on your azz. The old way requires less reading, tells ya right there on the Sectional, at Yosemite, go below 2000 and ya may get a date with the cat in the long black robe with the big wood hammer. The new way ya gotta go read the thing in the margin of the Chart. And it kinda baits you into maybe busting the Public Law by saying “...aircraft are requested...”. Keep reading and it tells ya about the AC which tells ya about the Public Law which tells ya don’t do it. None of that ‘requested’ stuff. I’d guess that ‘requested’ thing on the Chart might get you off the hook with an admonishment to not do it again.

I finally got around to looking up Public Law 100-91, and it looks like the reason the Yosemite prohibition no longer appears on the chart is that it was temporary:

SEC. 2. FLIGHTS OVER YOSEMITE AND HALEAKALA DURING STUDY AND REVIEW.

(a) Yosemite National Park.—During the study and review periods provided in subsection (c), it shall be unlawful for any fixed wing aircraft or helicopter flying under visual flight rules to fly at an altitude of less than 2,000 feet over the surface of Yosemite National Park. For purposes of this subsection, the term ‘surface’ refers to the highest terrain within the park which is within 2,000 feet laterally of the route of flight and with respect to Yosemite Valley such term refers to the upper-most rim of the valley.​

Attachments

• Public Law 100-91.pdf
    50.9 KB · Views: 1
It appears the study required by PL 100-91 was submitted to Congress in the mid 90s. The outcome of it was air tour regulations over Grand Canyon and some volcano parks in Hawaii.

I still cannot find anything that says the current 2000’ requested altitude is regulatory.

Further searching - all the current regulations pertain to air tour operations and those are only over popular parks.

what I did find was the NPS admin policies. https://www.nps.gov/policy/mp/policies.html#_Toc157232932

S
ection 8.4 confirms that they do not have authority to regulate the airspace and must work cooperatively with the FAA. Since the FAA’s position on it is voluntary compliance, the threat in the original letter is empty.

Used to work with a pilot who thought it was regulatory. Asked me one day if I went over (2,000 ft) the wilderness area or around it. I said “neither, I fly right through it.” The look on his face. :eek:

Further searching - all the current regulations pertain to air tour operations and those are only over popular parks.

what I did find was the NPS admin policies. https://www.nps.gov/policy/mp/policies.html#_Toc157232932

S
ection 8.4 confirms that they do not have authority to regulate the airspace and must work cooperatively with the FAA. Since the FAA’s position on it is voluntary compliance, the threat in the original letter is empty.
That doesn't mean they won't try.

Sure but what are they going to charge you with? There isn't even a FAA regulation being violated.

91.13 catchall. If they can define "for hire" and "compensation" however they want, they can do the same for "careless" and "reckless"

91.13 catchall. If they can define "for hire" and "compensation" however they want, they can do the same for "careless" and "reckless"
Hypothetically maybe, but has anyone heard of the FAA actually using 91.13 as the sole support for sanctioning failure to comply with a minimum altitude "request"?

So, is that endangering the life of another or the property of another?

I still cannot find anything that says the current 2000’ requested altitude is regulatory.
There isn't even a FAA regulation being violated.
As mentioned, it’s not FAA rules you break. The 2000’ is a NPS guidance trigger point that brings other NPS rules into play. Where the OP letter writer went wrong was to state the trigger instead of the actual rule like wildlife harassment.The FAA merely "advises" you of these other rules by requesting the 2000' with the AIM taking a step further with this:

upload_2021-5-18_11-17-52.png

There are several congressional acts that empower the NPS and other agencies to enforce their own rules with a number at the statue level. So the letter had the DOJ reference correct. The difference in the enforcement is the aircraft is merely the “vehicle” to violating the primary NPS rule, i.e., wildlife harassment, too noisy, etc.. It’s no different than if you use your SUV to chase a buffalo. These are also the same laws/rules that allow the NPS to prohibit drones in national parks where no one else can prohibit drones from other non-NPS public areas.

Regardless, if you fly below 2000’ over a designated wilderness, determined to have violated an NPS, BLM, USFS, etc. rule, and they can identify you, you may be surprised at the outcome. But if you do get caught don’t use the “aircraft emergency” excuse unless you actually have one and follow the applicable FARs when you do. Trust me.

FYI: The Part 136 tour regulations were in response to the mountains of complaints made to the FAA and Congress on aircraft noise in wilderness areas. The only thing the previous government studies did was make it easier to pass. The tour operators were a distinct minority in the process. There was also a movement to include private GA flights as well but it was stopped at the “commercial” level. But given the FAA still fields numerous complaints on aircraft/drones in wilderness areas every month, the ability for the average person to do so will go the same route as tour ops and the FAA will be publishing FARs to regulate that as well.

Yes, but the NPS doesn't have noise rules on the area of Montezuma's Castle, nor can they prove what level of noise was produced. When you try to search them, you get something to the effect of "The NPS works in cooperation with the FAA to ask pilots to voluntarily avoid flying low". So there isn't even a noise regulation, which is the closest I could get in FAA Order 2150.

The NPS is not authorized to regulate the airspace and the most the FAA has done is request pilots voluntarily comply. So going back to the original letter, the threat is still empty.

So, is that endangering the life of another or the property of another?

A guy doing an impromptu airshow in a glider wasn't and they busted him on that. So if they say it is, it is.

As mentioned, it’s not FAA rules you break. The 2000’ is a NPS guidance trigger point that brings other NPS rules into play. Where the OP letter writer went wrong was to state the trigger instead of the actual rule like wildlife harassment.The FAA merely "advises" you of these other rules by requesting the 2000' with the AIM taking a step further with this:

View attachment 96461

There are several congressional acts that empower the NPS and other agencies to enforce their own rules with a number at the statue level. So the letter had the DOJ reference correct. The difference in the enforcement is the aircraft is merely the “vehicle” to violating the primary NPS rule, i.e., wildlife harassment, too noisy, etc.. It’s no different than if you use your SUV to chase a buffalo. These are also the same laws/rules that allow the NPS to prohibit drones in national parks where no one else can prohibit drones from other non-NPS public areas.

Regardless, if you fly below 2000’ over a designated wilderness, determined to have violated an NPS, BLM, USFS, etc. rule, and they can identify you, you may be surprised at the outcome. But if you do get caught don’t use the “aircraft emergency” excuse unless you actually have one and follow the applicable FARs when you do. Trust me.

FYI: The Part 136 tour regulations were in response to the mountains of complaints made to the FAA and Congress on aircraft noise in wilderness areas. The only thing the previous government studies did was make it easier to pass. The tour operators were a distinct minority in the process. There was also a movement to include private GA flights as well but it was stopped at the “commercial” level. But given the FAA still fields numerous complaints on aircraft/drones in wilderness areas every month, the ability for the average person to do so will go the same route as tour ops and the FAA will be publishing FARs to regulate that as well.
Note that the AIM passage you quoted says that the restrictions are charted. However, it looks like they forgot to update their list of examples when the Yosemite restriction expired.

As for other agency rules, I prefer actual citations to the Code of Federal Regulations or the U.S. Code instead of plausibility arguments.

By the way, I'm glad that the Yosemite prohibition expired, because in a mountainous area like that, there really is no way to unambiguously discern the elevation of the "rim of the valley" from the charts. I will continue to do my best to comply now that it is only a request, but at least now there's less reason to worry that someone might disagree with my estimate of how high the "rim" is.

In the Grand Canyon, they did it right, by giving specific MSL altitudes.

A guy doing an impromptu airshow in a glider wasn't and they busted him on that. So if they say it is, it is.

Wasn't that a case of performing an airshow without training and without approval? There's clear danger in that. Flying lower than requested over a park...not so much.

The NPS is not authorized to regulate the airspace
That's the point you keep missing. It's not an airspace violation. See below. You need to think like a tree-hugger vs a sky king to see how this works.;)
As for other agency rules, I prefer actual citations to the Code of Federal Regulations or the U.S. Code instead of plausibility arguments.
If you think the FARs are a mess you should try other departmental regulations. The one thing everyone seems to overlook is none of these are "airspace" violations. But let the government speak for themselves as I do have one example I have personal experience with. This one is a NOAA law/rule. Each individual wilderness agency, to include the NPS, have their own unique version of these type rules in case you wish to research more.

Here's the NOAA overflight FAQ's with specific examples extracted:
https://sanctuaries.noaa.gov/flight/faqs.html

"3) How can NOAA impose overflight regulations when the Federal Aviation Administration (FAA) is the only agency that can establish flight rules and restricted airspace?
Answer: NOAA recognizes the FAA's authority to regulate airspace and worked closely with the FAA to craft regulations that are explicitly linked to NOAA's statutory authority for natural resource protection. NOAA has established a minimum altitude disturbance threshold for federally protected marine mammal and seabird communities within discrete areas of each relevant west coast national marine sanctuary. Flying motorized aircraft below the 1,000-foot minimum altitude threshold in certain coastal areas of these sanctuaries violates a federal wildlife disturbance prohibition – not an FAA airspace restriction. The FAA, in a 2012 letter to the Aircraft Operators and Pilots Association (AOPA), stated that it does not view NOAA's minimum altitude disturbance thresholds as airspace regulations, nor as an infringement on the FAA's stated authority to regulate airspace."

7) The Sanctuary overflight regulation states that failure to maintain a specified minimum altitude in certain areas of a sanctuary is presumed to disturb marine mammals or seabirds. What does that mean?
Answer: It means that if NOAA can establish that a pilot operated a motorized aircraft below 1,000 feet AGL within any NOAA regulated overflight zone, the pilot could be charged with a wildlife disturbance violation simply by the act of flying below the minimum altitude threshold**. In other words, disturbance is presumed to have occurred, unless proven otherwise. The burden of proof that no disturbance occurred would rest upon the pilot. "Rebuttable presumption" is a principle that has been applied in law for centuries.

** At least with an FAA violation the burden of proof rests on the FAA.

Here's the actual rule:
https://nmsfarallones.blob.core.win...ve/manage/pdf/77FR3919_Overflighfinalrule.pdf

Here's more NOAA overflight guidance link:
https://sanctuaries.noaa.gov/flight/

Wasn't that a case of performing an airshow without training and without approval? There's clear danger in that. Flying lower than requested over a park...not so much.

IIR, he was trained, and obviously wasn't a danger because he didn't crash.

Sure but what are they going to charge you with? There isn't even a FAA regulation being violated.
They can find something. And it's not limited to the FAA - could be NPS, could be EPA, could be any number of other agencies. Could be simply an administrative rule or regulation, and under administrative law your pretty much have to prove that you didn't do whatever they allege.

We have so many laws and regulations that no one person can possibly know and follow them all. Yet you are required to obey and "ignorance" of the law is no excuse. Almost everyone ends up violating one or mare laws or regulations a day because it's impossible to keep track of them all.

I heard someone that's traveled to 100+ countries describe being grounded in the US and doing domestic travel as "this country is built on red tape compared to the rest of the world". That may be an exaggeration, but the overall point is accurate. I have a theory that the obsession in the US about making laws and restricting/regulating pretty much everything is a big part of our woes, but I'll leave that for somewhere it can be discussed without running afoul of the rules of this forum.

That's the point you keep missing. It's not an airspace violation. See below. You need to think like a tree-hugger vs a sky king to see how this works.;)

If you think the FARs are a mess you should try other departmental regulations. The one thing everyone seems to overlook is none of these are "airspace" violations. But let the government speak for themselves as I do have one example I have personal experience with. This one is a NOAA law/rule. Each individual wilderness agency, to include the NPS, have their own unique version of these type rules in case you wish to research more.

Here's the NOAA overflight FAQ's with specific examples extracted:
https://sanctuaries.noaa.gov/flight/faqs.html

"3) How can NOAA impose overflight regulations when the Federal Aviation Administration (FAA) is the only agency that can establish flight rules and restricted airspace?
Answer: NOAA recognizes the FAA's authority to regulate airspace and worked closely with the FAA to craft regulations that are explicitly linked to NOAA's statutory authority for natural resource protection. NOAA has established a minimum altitude disturbance threshold for federally protected marine mammal and seabird communities within discrete areas of each relevant west coast national marine sanctuary. Flying motorized aircraft below the 1,000-foot minimum altitude threshold in certain coastal areas of these sanctuaries violates a federal wildlife disturbance prohibition – not an FAA airspace restriction. The FAA, in a 2012 letter to the Aircraft Operators and Pilots Association (AOPA), stated that it does not view NOAA's minimum altitude disturbance thresholds as airspace regulations, nor as an infringement on the FAA's stated authority to regulate airspace."

7) The Sanctuary overflight regulation states that failure to maintain a specified minimum altitude in certain areas of a sanctuary is presumed to disturb marine mammals or seabirds. What does that mean?
Answer: It means that if NOAA can establish that a pilot operated a motorized aircraft below 1,000 feet AGL within any NOAA regulated overflight zone, the pilot could be charged with a wildlife disturbance violation simply by the act of flying below the minimum altitude threshold**. In other words, disturbance is presumed to have occurred, unless proven otherwise. The burden of proof that no disturbance occurred would rest upon the pilot. "Rebuttable presumption" is a principle that has been applied in law for centuries.

** At least with an FAA violation the burden of proof rests on the FAA.

Here's the actual rule:
https://nmsfarallones.blob.core.win...ve/manage/pdf/77FR3919_Overflighfinalrule.pdf

Here's more NOAA overflight guidance link:
https://sanctuaries.noaa.gov/flight/
I'm aware of the NOAA ones and they're on the charts, with appropriate mandatory wording and the CFR reference. (The nearest one is about 20 miles from my house.)

So the pilot was flying less than 1000 ft and disturbing wildlife? Then why does the letter accuse the pilot of flying at less than 2000 ft within the boundaries of a national park? Nobody has yet to quote such a regulation by anyone.

National parks are not marked on charts, so are we suddenly supposed to know where every little national park is and not fly over them? (there are 420 of them) This one is about a 200' cliff with a dozen or so cliff dwellings. If you're nearby, it is worth a stop. It's an interesting place and the hike from the visitor's center is not bad, but given the tree cover, there can't be much to see from the air.

Looking at the chart, the Montezuma Castle park isn't even in the wilderness area flight zone. The flight zone ends about .5 miles east of the Montezuma airport but the national monument is 1.5 miles northeast of the airport. On the chart, the cliff dwellings are approximately north of the M in MONTEZUMA, where the X is and the visitor's center is east of that - the entire park is maybe twice the size of the X. If the voluntary 2000 ft limit had been intended to extend to the park, then surely the FAA would have looped the boundary out to it, right? The fact that there is a boundary and it does not include the park must mean it was not intended to.

I wonder if the pilot was taking off or landing. Without knowing the park was there, I can easily imagine that I would turn to follow the highway to clear the wilderness area.

upload_2021-5-18_15-28-26.png
1929MontezumaCastleSMALL_2.jpg

I have no doubt the the FAA drone ID rules are intended for enforcement purposes and will be heavily used for such.

Good. If some numb nut is flying a drone illegally near an airport, I hope they are fined, jailed, flogged and/or reduced to a quivering pile of protoplasm.

Cheers

My operating limitations have the phrase, "Except for takeoffs and landings, this aircraft may not be operated over densely populated areas." When I inquired as to what a densely populated area was I was led to believe that they would tell me when they needed me to know. o_O

My operating limitations have the phrase, "Except for takeoffs and landings, this aircraft may not be operated over densely populated areas." When I inquired as to what a densely populated area was I was led to believe that they would tell me when they needed me to know. o_O

And that would be after they violate you. I believe there was a case quite a few years back where a guy was flying less than a thousand feet over a total of 6 houses and they determined that to be a densely populated area and busted him.

If someone complains or posts a video on line, then it's densely populated.

I might have missed it, but this incident complaint was against the pilot flying a helicopter.

IIRC they got that guy for minimum altitude and minimum altitude for aerobatics... and no doubt as they always do, threw in "careless or reckless" as the proverbial cherry on top.

You obviously do a lot of over water flights. o_O
And you obviously don’t know a lot of boat owners. :ohsnap:

Nah, I just live in a rural area so I can fly for hours without going over anyone’s house.

Back