ADS-B Upgrade

sam beidoun

Filing Flight Plan
Display Name

Display name:
almaz
To meet the new FAA ADS-B requirements, does anyone know if the Garmin GDL-82 will work on a Cherokee Pa 28/140. Right now I have two King 170B coms and a kt-76A transponder. I was not sure if I have to change any other equipment.

To meet the new FAA ADS-B requirements, does anyone know if the Garmin GDL-82 will work on a Cherokee Pa 28/140. Right now I have two King 170B coms and a kt-76A transponder. I was not sure if I have to change any other equipment.

Probably work fine.

You theoretically won't have an issue. My local avionics shop owner strongly urged only doing a GDL82 with a solid-state Xpnder.

The GDL82 will work fine, but for just a little bit more $ you could install a Stratus ESG digital transponder and get rid of the KT76A relic.

The GDL82 will work fine, but for just a little bit more $ you could install a Stratus ESG digital transponder and get rid of the KT76A relic.
That’s the reason we went with a new all in one transponder. Rather than just adding on hardware for compliance, we for “not too much more money” we replaced an older transponder. If you think you are going to have the plane for a while, it makes sense.

The only avionics shop I received a quote for (which was way too high) indicated people might run into issues with the GDL82 and older transponders. He recommended at the minimum putting in a newer, but used solid state transponder. Of course he also wants to run all new cable to be sure, etc.

The older transponders could have problems with the GDL82, but I have not heard of specific cases. Again, that’s a good reason to replace the transponder with an ADS-B transponder. Unless anonymity is a big issue for you, an ADS-B transponder is usually the best option.

The only avionics shop I received a quote for (which was way too high) indicated people might run into issues with the GDL82 and older transponders. He recommended at the minimum putting in a newer, but used solid state transponder. Of course he also wants to run all new cable to be sure, etc.
We are going to have a Garmin 330 (Non-ES) transponder for sale shortly when we get the Lynx.
When we were looking at a minimal approach to ADS-B out, I was looking at the Appero all in one transponder.

We are going to have a Garmin 330 (Non-ES) transponder for sale shortly when we get the Lynx.
When we were looking at a minimal approach to ADS-B out, I was looking at the Appero all in one transponder.
Let me know when you have it for sale.

Back