ADS-B Practicalities

Didn't say that, just that if you want to actually SPY on someone through their cell phone camera, you better make sure there's enough bandwidth where they are to get the data out. There's a lot of rural areas where that's going to be a non-starter, not just Vermont.

Video is usually not needed for surveillance through smart phones. Grabbing the device’s location history, keylogging, audio, etc are usually the attack vectors. And anyone rural is eventually going to go somewhere and connect to WiFi or come back into range, but yes, dead zones help.

As someone else pointed out the state of the art on ADS-B is now to receive it directly via satellite. The Iridium NEXT satellites are doing it this year.

And if you don’t think the NRO has satellites capable of a LOT more ELINT than the Iridium cluster, well... just try and figure out what their incredible number of payloads launched every year actually do from a timeline of technology perspective. Or small hints as to payload in places like Aviation Leak and elsewhere.

They have both a LOT of on orbit assets and an insane amount of money flowing into them. SpaceX isn’t thriving just because of their commercial launch capability, that’s just the cover story. They’re ramping up to suckle from the black budget NRO teat as hard as they can. Certain satellites can’t be launched on foreign launchers — some folks get too good a look at them on the turntables in the clean rooms.

It’s HUGE money. Enormous. The spy satellite biz.

Getting back to ADS-B, according to the FAA, it's the greatest thing since sliced bread. ;)

View attachment 64418
https://www.faa.gov/nextgen/programs/adsb/

LOL. Runways more efficient, the cheaper (than WHAT?! It didn’t REPLACE anything, it’s an ADDITIONAL cost across the board!, and oooh.... its GRRRREEEEEEEEENNN.

Eff those marketers for that. Seriously. Stupid people will actually believe that garbage. YGBFKM.

Video is usually not needed for surveillance through smart phones. Grabbing the device’s location history, keylogging, audio, etc are usually the attack vectors. And anyone rural is eventually going to go somewhere and connect to WiFi or come back into range, but yes, dead zones help.
Yes, I'm sure a lot of surveillance is location-only, or audio at most. But I was only talking about the claim that you have to worry now about your iPhone camera being used for that, and I stand by my statement that for spying on people living in the sticks, we don't yet have the cell coverage to make that practical on anything like a real-time basis. Yes, eventually they will come within range of wifi or a cell tower, but in some cases that is more like once a month, or every two weeks at best.

And if you don’t think the NRO has satellites capable of a LOT more ELINT than the Iridium cluster, well... just try and figure out what their incredible number of payloads launched every year actually do from a timeline of technology perspective. Or small hints as to payload in places like Aviation Leak and elsewhere.
I never said the gubmint didn't have ELINT tech well above what is available to the average bad guy. Good thing too, considering the state of the art in the international spy biz. Countries like Russia and China are doing it, we need to be doing it too. Of course, that only makes effective congressional oversight that much more critical, lest that capability gets used to trample on law-abiding private citizens' constitutional rights.

But I'll stop there, to avoid driving the conversation toward politics.

Yes, seriously. I flew without it, too, but I won't again.
And for Gods sake, don't go near an airport with aircraft without transponders or electrical systems!
Guess we won't see you at the pancake breakfast this Sunday.

I won't be putting ADS-B in my personal plane for a long time. Last time I was above 10.5 was crossing Lake Michigan in a 172 a month ago. Waste of fuel in my opinion for 10 minutes less wet footprint.

Back