ADS-B Out: Would you pay $700 more for 1090 ES over 978 UAT

Anyone who thinks they are anonymous with a Mode S and a 978 UAT box.

That would be a rare configuration but is why anonymity can be disabled completely for GDL88 in the config menu, to prevent it from transmitting a different address than the mode S transponder on board.

Ok to recap. In a 978 Solution you may go Anonymous. In that case the ADS-B out message on 978 contains a random ICAO ID. This will keep you anonymous so long as your existing transponder is only a Mode C transponder (Remember you still need at least a Mode C to be compliant in a UAT out solution). If you have a Mode S transponder this will still send the ICAO address.

If you need to do stupid ****, just pull the circuit breaker :D

Or move to Nebraska and fly a NORDO J-3

FWIW, the avionics shop at my drome said the 82 is not on the approved list for the rebate program... and also mentioned that not half of the appropriated rebate dollars have been let. I didn't realize that this was an extension year... that said, good chance it would roll another year since those dollars are sitting there for just and only that purpose.

FWIW, the avionics shop at my drome said the 82 is not on the approved list for the rebate program... and also mentioned that not half of the appropriated rebate dollars have been let. I didn't realize that this was an extension year... that said, good chance it would roll another year since those dollars are sitting there for just and only that purpose.

That could be because it's not yet available on the market.
I wouldn't expect the FAA to get a new product on their lists all that quickly in any circumstance. But being a Garmin product seems unlikely it won't eventually qualify.

Back