ADS-B Out Options?

I know it is not the minimum solution, but the L3 seems to be a neat unit. Might be nice to have the display until you get your 530. Since I have gps, I am not familiar with what options out there will still need a gps source. Just keep in mind that the cheapest options may not include the gps needed for compliance (guessing by some of the posts that the gdl82 might)

You are going to have labor either way, I would want to at least know the cost difference between the minimum and some of the more premium solutions.

Jim

I know it is not the minimum solution, but the L3 seems to be a neat unit. Might be nice to have the display until you get your 530.

The L3 is a very nice unit, although it is more expensive than any of Garmin's stuff!

Also, unfortunately, it doesn't talk to the Garmin boxes for weather - Only traffic. So, while it's great if you have no screen available to show weather, those who have a 530 or 750 will probably want to use the bigger screen for weather, and no can do with the L3. :(

Since I have gps, I am not familiar with what options out there will still need a gps source. Just keep in mind that the cheapest options may not include the gps needed for compliance (guessing by some of the posts that the gdl82 might)

It does. That's a large part of why it's the cheapest thing on the market - You don't need anything except a working transponder to use it.

The L3 is a very nice unit, although it is more expensive than any of Garmin's stuff!

L3 adjusted pricing recently. They are more competitive to the GTX than before. L3 Lynx 9000 is particularly awesome for 60's era Cessna's with no room for any kind of glass.

L3 adjusted pricing recently. They are more competitive to the GTX than before. L3 Lynx 9000 is particularly awesome for 60's era Cessna's with no room for any kind of glass.

They did that too late for us that’s for sure. We looked and saw their old pricing and they were out of the running before we even got installation quotes!

Another cool feature of the GTX-345.... The unit has an OAT probe input, and with it the 345 continuously displays Density Altitude and OAT. Very cool for those of us with mountain or desert type operations.

ADS-B in is fantastic. Really like seeing other traffic and the FIS-B weather data keeps getting better. FAA is about to release a half dozen new weather attributes for FIS-B to match the content from XM.
about that OAT integration.. can existing OAT probe be used? like if someone already has one from JPI.. can the same one be used to provide the OAT info to 345?

about that OAT integration.. can existing OAT probe be used? like if someone already has one from JPI.. can the same one be used to provide the OAT info to 345?
If'n ya had an Aspen you could jus' output air data to the 345, if'n.

basically OP, even in 2018, you're not getting out of this one for less than 4.5-5 amus installed, especially without a pre-existing compatible WAAS source. It's pretty pathetic. That Skybeacon what-ya-ma-call-it looks awesome if it gets certified, but wish in one hand and ------ on the other, you know how that goes.

For my part, I'm still on the fence about whether I'll keep this airplane past the mandate, so I have all the time in the world to wait on this thing. If something in the pricing vicinity of what the skybeacon is offering does not come to fruition, I'll be sunk into a GDL-82 as the cheapest alternative and hope I can save some money on the installation because of the 430W as position source in lieu of the dedicated WAAS antenna.

If'n ya had an Aspen you could jus' output air data to the 345, if'n.

But we have already established in POA that it’s much safer to fly through thunderstorm than fly with Aspen...

If anyone uses an iFly 7xx as backup GPS, you can get a Ping receiver for another $130 that gives you ADS-B in. Pretty slick! It's great to know where the traffic is before ATC even says a word.

For out, I'm pretty much set on the Uavionix Echo/FlySafe WAAS GPS/antenna for about $1500 (it's both in/out). Haven't looked at the website recently but I think they're trying to get it certified. Easy install as it "sniffs" the transponder info without wiring, so you can use your existing transponder in most cases.

I don't dig the sniff concept. but the EchoUAT can be hard wired to my GTX327 and GNS430W.

Pretty sure that's the way I'll be going.

My GDL 82 UAT with built-in WAAS GPS from Aircraft Spruce arrived in Saturday's mail (USPS Priority Mail); price was <$2k including sales tax. It will interface my GTX 327 Mode C transponder, and I downloaded the installation manual and configuration software late last year to get a handle on the installation process. I'll install it this week in my experimental LSA.

I've already installed ADS-B "In" using the GDL 39R receiver and Aera 660.

Just brought the airplane home yesterday (has to go back, the %^$#&%$#!!! broke my autopilot). The Stratus did what it was supposed to do as far as I can see. A really nice bonus, the Stratus antenna sits, gets power and signal from the panel mount antenna and broadcasts it to my iPad. I now have easy ADSB in and out.

Back