Ads-B inspection requirement with 91.411 & 91.413

mspguy

Filing Flight Plan
Display Name

Display name:
mspguy
Does anyone know if an aircraft that has Ads-B out installed and now is due the 91.411 and 91.413 checks need to do anything special about ADs-B? My understanding the test equipment is different for transponder vs transponder ads b. Not every shop I have spoken with has both yet.

Our aircraft is a transport category and will also require RVSM compliance. Our transponder has an enhanced squitter MODE S and 2 years ago we added ADS B.

Reviewing the approved maintenance outline for RVSM in the airplane, ADs-b is not mentioned.

Reviewing FAR's, I don't see anything about a recurrent check on Ads-B. Did I miss this, or is the FAA/ICAO overlooking an ongoing maintenance check of ADs-B? Or is it assumed that when the repairman tests the transponder, they are also certifying the ads-B is operational, thus requiring the Ads-b Box?

Thank you.

Could it be that the question is moot since the FAA will send you a letter if it thinks your ADS-B out is not performing properly. If you don’t get a letter, I’d presume no checks or repairs are necessary. After all, the FAA is getting both your transponder data and Ads-b packet info at the same time for their amusement and critical review. You can also get a PAPR report on any flight you have completed to know if there are any significant discrepancies.

Last edited:
Could it be that the question is moot since the FAA will send you a letter if it thinks your ADS-B out is not performing properly. If you don’t get a letter, I’d presume no checks or repairs are necessary.

That's my understanding of why there is no inspection requirement.

And it begins

It looks like it never had to begin since the question was satisfactorily answered.

Back