ADS-B IN.

skippy101

Filing Flight Plan
Display Name

Display name:
Jeff
Hello I was wondering if anyone has ADS-B in.

From what I see the screen and info is just like TIS on a G1000 Glass Cockpit. Am I correct?

A ton of people are using ADsB in right now via Stratus. What you see is dependant on what you want to see. If you are not ADSB out and fly in less than busy airspace, you won't get the TIS info because your not in an ADSB out veil.

I use a Garmin GDL39 3G in my 180. It works with Garmin Pilot on my iPad. It provides weather (no XM service in Alaska), and enables better heading screens and synthetic vision in the Garmin app. Traffic identification doesn't interest me.

Not many airplanes in Alaska have transponders at all, let alone ADS-B out compliant units. My comment was honest and accurate. Save your criticism for when you have a position that warrants it.

Not many airplanes in Alaska have transponders at all, let alone ADS-B out compliant units. My comment was honest and accurate. Save your criticism for when you have a position that warrants it.

Go get em Ted.....

airplane-panic.png

I guess it would depend on where you fly, how much interest you have in traffic,in the cockpit. I personally use stratus and fore flight.

The exact method of display with traffic varies with the display system, but in my experience with a wide range of systems, it all looks pretty much the same (i.e., pretty much like what you see with TIS on a G1000). I've never seen any difference between displayed traffic between TIS and ADS-B-in on systems which can display both.

Display of ADS-B weather input is somewhat more variable, and is very display system dependent.

Well actually, it isn't. You haven't been reading much of PoA. Heck reading your post would be on my list of ignorant posts.

I'll rephrase......that is the most ignorant basic VFR pilotage related post I have seen on PoA.

And you backing up the fact he did he doesn't care about other traffic rates as #2 and especially concerning for someone who claims to be a CFI. Choose your battles, but damn, you chose a crappy point of view to side with for some who believes he is a professional. Seriously crappy.

I'll rephrase......that is the most ignorant basic VFR pilotage related post I have seen on PoA.

And you backing up the fact he did he doesn't care about other traffic rates as #2 and especially concerning for someone who claims to be a CFI. Choose your battles, but damn, you chose a crappy point of view to side with for some who believes he is a professional. Seriously crappy.

Someone who is ignorant is "lacking knowledge, information, or awareness about something in particular".

You have demonstrated this in spades about the topic. I made no such claims other than to point out you did not know of which you speak, that is you are ignorant. This occurs often here on PoA, so you are in good company.

He made no such claims, other than to point out "Traffic identification doesn't interest me" (obviously from the GDL39). In his follow up post he explained why. That in no way can be construed as "he doesn't care about other traffic" as that is a gross misrepresentation of his actual remark. So go ahead and extend the misrepresentation to my remarks.

You could have posted a counter argument or asked why he made that statement, but obviously from your remarks you prefer to attack him and later me. I don't see an argument other than to put words in my mouth and then attack me for saying them.

You also are anonymous, as you post under the name Unit74. I post under my own name. You can look me up in the database and determine from FAA publicly available records if my claim to be a CFI is true or not. Why must you remain anonymous? Is it so you can make outrageous posts and not be called on it?

Last edited:
whelp.....if you feel so compelled to champion his position, I challenge you to go give him a flight review and have YOUR oh so special name in his logbook. That would solve that....a student is only as good as his CFI. Or in cliche form, birds of a feather........

Unit, let's review ADS-B for a moment. In 5 years it MAY survive scrutiny and become a requirement. In controlled airspace. In the lower 48 states. Fly outside of controlled space and the airplanes that live in those areas are not going to be required to be equipped. Nor are any airplanes in Alaska. ADS-B is not a save-all traffic advisory proposal. It is an air traffic management tool.

I'm pretty new at flying. I've only flown out of Lake Hood in south central Alaska for 22 years. You're clearly a superior pilot and know all there is to know but let me enlighten the rest of the readers. Lake Hood sits adjacent to Anchorage International on one side with a large military air base and a large municipal GA airport on the other. My typical flight ops out of Hood are to the north. On an average day I'll be operating my Cessna 180 next to departing heavy 747s. Our airspace is close but separate. The Hood segment crosses 3 miles of lethally cold ocean water that's shore is a half mile from the runway. My altitude must be maintained between 700-1200' because of crossing traffic. Merrill Field airspace is up to 600' and Elmendorf military traffic crosses between 1400-1700'. So on a normal day while there may be a half dozen inbound planes and a few other outbounds we have to contend with adjacent 747s, 207s and Cherokees crossing at 90* low, and heavy military jets or flights of F22s crossing a few hundred feet above. Out corridor is about a half mile wide. To say that I'm a little familiar with congested airspace and a compact operating area is accurate. How many of these airplanes would I expect to be equipped with ADS-B? Of those I'm sharing space with and for whom I'm concerned about maintaining separation? Zero. But that's inaccurate, right? Let's be liberal and say 1 in 100. How much time should I spend looking at a digital display to see 1 airplane when there are many others around that the screen can't see... but I can? Now take the flight out of town. Now assume I'm flying a popular route to a fishing stream or through a mountain pass. The potential for ADS-B equipped aircraft is lower than before but the probability of other airplanes around me is good. Should I keep my eyes inside the cockpit and play computer operator while flying Rainy Pass (which is a tad narrow and a bit twisty) or should I watch outside in order to best provide my own clearance from the rock walls while allowing opposing traffic the same opportunity? Please, enlighten us.

The original poster asked if anyone uses ADS-B in. I answered him truthfully. I do, but not for the superficially accepted premise that it's a good traffic identification tool. Because in my flying it is not. It does, however, provide in-flight weather info, a first for Alaskans since we have no XM service (but why am I telling you, you know everything), and it supplements my Garmin Pilot app with synthetic vision capability, which is really cool when (legally) flogging along under a 600' ceiling in 1 mile visibility in smoke or snow. Snow being the worst because white air against a featureless white background is fatiguing. But obviously you know that, too, right, Stud?

I'm lucky to have a crop of some of the best bush-type pilots on the planet as friends. I get my share of high performance instruction but better yet I get to fly with and next to some guys who are masters of their craft. I'm pretty comfortable with my attitudes about equipment and operational safety in my home environment.

If you have ANYTHING interesting, informative, or relevant to add to the original topic I'll look forward to reading it. I am curious about what ADS-B equipment you spent your own hard-earned money on to equip your own personal airplane. Given your attitude I'd expect you're on the cutting edge of installed high tech avionics. Post a picture of your panel, please. Come out from the shadows. Man up.

Last edited:
>> How many of these airplanes would I expect to be equipped with ADS-B?

Just for clarity for the lurkers... Aircraft do NOT have to be equipped with ADS-B for you to see them on ADS-B in. They merely need to have mode C capability.

The ADS-R FAA ground station will rebroadcast those mode C targets that FAA radar is interrogating, plus any ADS-B participants on the OTHER ADS-B frequency from yours, whether 978 MHz or 1090 MHz.

Paul

>> How many of these airplanes would I expect to be equipped with ADS-B?

Just for clarity for the lurkers... Aircraft do NOT have to be equipped with ADS-B for you to see them on ADS-B in. They merely need to have mode C capability.

The ADS-R FAA ground station will rebroadcast those mode C targets that FAA radar is interrogating, plus any ADS-B participants on the OTHER ADS-B frequency from yours, whether 978 MHz or 1090 MHz.

Paul

Thanks for the clarification. That's good info.

FWIW, Lake Hood, while shoe-horned between other airspaces, does not require transponders and most airplanes are not so equipped.

whelp.....if you feel so compelled to champion his position, I challenge you to go give him a flight review and have YOUR oh so special name in his logbook. That would solve that....a student is only as good as his CFI. Or in cliche form, birds of a feather........

The only thing you are capable of is invective. So who ever you are, feel free to remain an ignorant person and you can add to your title "Cowardly Jerk".

Edit: You are probably not even a pilot, just a regular low grade troll wanna be.

Last edited:
Yes, I have ADS-B in.....and it displays nicely on the iPad.

Attachments

• hat rack.JPG
    hat rack.JPG
    107.4 KB · Views: 19
  • iPad.jpg
    iPad.jpg
    75.4 KB · Views: 418
I have ADS-B in using a Dual XPGS170 and iFlyGPS. Yesterday flying SE of Lake Okechobee and presumably getting the target info. from PBI, I experienced several phantom paints. One was at my height and about where a wingman would be on my left side, with a heading that would have closed on me. I turned left so that the traffic would pass behind me, looked outside, saw nothing. The target then disappeared from the screen. A short while later it re-appeared on my tail, then disappeared as I looked at it. There were several more odd events like that that is making me wonder what can be happening. One was a target right on my track line, apparently heading east as I flew north, and a couple of hundred feet below me. But as I closed on it the target did not move to the east as expected, just stayed on my track line. As I neared the target position I could see nothing, even as I passed over it. Has anyone else experienced odd behavior like this?

Unit, let's review ADS-B for a moment. In 5 years it MAY survive scrutiny and become a requirement. In controlled airspace.
Below 10,000 MSL, the volume of controlled airspace in which ASB-out will be required in 5 years is only a small fraction of the total volume of controlled airspace -- just that which now requires a transponder, that is, pretty much only within the lateral boundaries of Class B/C airspace. Other than the Mode C veils around B-space, little or no Class E controlled airspace below 10,000 MSL will be affected by the 91.225 regulatory requirement effective in 2020.

I have ADS-B in using a Dual XPGS170 and iFlyGPS. Yesterday flying SE of Lake Okechobee and presumably getting the target info. from PBI, I experienced several phantom paints. One was at my height and about where a wingman would be on my left side, with a heading that would have closed on me. I turned left so that the traffic would pass behind me, looked outside, saw nothing. The target then disappeared from the screen. A short while later it re-appeared on my tail, then disappeared as I looked at it. There were several more odd events like that that is making me wonder what can be happening. One was a target right on my track line, apparently heading east as I flew north, and a couple of hundred feet below me. But as I closed on it the target did not move to the east as expected, just stayed on my track line. As I neared the target position I could see nothing, even as I passed over it. Has anyone else experienced odd behavior like this?

You're seeing yourself. It's generally known as ghosting. TIS-B is broadcasting your Mode-C radar target. It is a little off from your GPS position. It is far enough off that iFly can't determine if it is you or not. So you end up with the "chase plane".

You're seeing yourself. It's generally known as ghosting. TIS-B is broadcasting your Mode-C radar target. It is a little off from your GPS position. It is far enough off that iFly can't determine if it is you or not. So you end up with the "chase plane".

Which would appear to make the application useless as a heads up for nearby traffic. But ghosting would not explain the target that was ahead of me and stationary as I approached. And if ghosting is creating the problem, why is it not always present?

The applications all have logic by which they attempt own-ship filtering. But if it can't be sure, it shows the ghost. It doesn't filter all near by traffic. It filters what it evaluates to be identical to itself. Same heading, altitude, position, etc. But if it is far enough off, it could be actual traffic and will side with caution and show it. The certified installations that include ADS-B out will monitor and match your transponder to assist in own-ship filtering. This is also done on the ground stations to avoid transmitting the duplicate in the first place. But your receiver-only can't do that. So it can only try.

As for mystery traffic elsewhere on the map, ya that's annoying. The system has flaws and weird things pop up sometimes. It could be a glitch in the ADS-B system. It could be a glitch in the radar system. Etc.

The only thing you are capable of is invective. So who ever you are, feel free to remain an ignorant person and you can add to your title "Cowardly Jerk".

I'll take that as no, you do not want your name in his log book?

Edit: You are probably not even a pilot, just a regular low grade troll wanna be.

Probably.....but I do a pretty good job faking the funk. Even those guys at the Fly-in thought I was a pilot. Silly them...:rofl:

Back