ADS-B In For Wx

Jim Rosenow

Line Up and Wait
Display Name

Display name:
Jim Rosenow
I know I could search threads, but it's snowing in NE Ohio and I'm bored :)

Mrs.Me is looking for a portable unit for her work airplane until they put the ADS-B in it next year. Traffic is not really a need as they have TCAS. The pilots all have iPads, but none of them are yet using Foreflight or other apps on them. They have USB ports in the panel, so power/battery is not an issue.

Thoughts? Thanks!

Jim

Problem with most is the ultimate ForeFlight/Garmin Pilot part of the equation. Stratus only works with Foreflight. the Garmin portable ADS-B only works with Garmin. And vice-versa. So, if they are ultimately looking at one or the other, the choice is limited.

If you or Mrs Me is any kind of a tinkerer, one option in the do-it-yourself Stratux (plenty of information on it out there; start with www.Stratux.me). About $100-$150 for the parts and it works with just about every iPad and Android EFB app (including Foreflight) except for Garmin Pilot. There's also a guy selling those already put together for, I think $200-$250.

You will get traffic along with the weather, although less so without having ADS-B out.

I don't know about iPads, but for Androids (phones and tablets) there's a ADSB Receiver app that works with a receiver dongle, for a total cost of about 25 dollars.

Problem with most is the ultimate ForeFlight/Garmin Pilot part of the equation. Stratus only works with Foreflight. the Garmin portable ADS-B only works with Garmin. And vice-versa. So, if they are ultimately looking at one or the other, the choice is limited.

If you or Mrs Me is any kind of a tinkerer, one option in the do-it-yourself Stratux (plenty of information on it out there; start with www.Stratux.me). About $100-$150 for the parts and it works with just about every iPad and Android EFB app (including Foreflight) except for Garmin Pilot. There's also a guy selling those already put together for, I think $200-$250.

You will get traffic along with the weather, although less so without having ADS-B out.

There's not a problem with the 'ultimate ForeFlight/Garmin Pilot' thing. When they do the 'out' upgrade, resultant traffic and wx will show on the main screens (Universal FMS's I think). Strictly a short-term solution.

I've been threatening her with a Stratux all winter, but so far it hasn't happened... I may need to re-visit that.

I don't know about iPads, but for Androids (phones and tablets) there's a ADSB Receiver app that works with a receiver dongle, for a total cost of about 25 dollars.

How COOL is THAT??? Off to research...thanks!

Jim

What traffic information is omitted if you lack ADS-B out? (I can't find anything about that in the FAA's FAQ.)

What traffic information is omitted if you lack ADS-B out? (I can't find anything about that in the FAA's FAQ.)

Potentially all of the traffic not transmitting direct ADS-B all around you. Search for "ADS-B puck" for more details.

Potentially all of the traffic not transmitting direct ADS-B all around you. Search for "ADS-B puck" for more details.
Oh. That's disappointing. Thanks for the info, though.

Nate has it right. Without ADS-B Out you are limited to receiving traffic when you are in the "hockey puck" of airplanes that do have ADS-B Out.

Sporty's has an article, with pictures, that gives an excellent overview. ADS-B 101.

OK...sometimes we miss the obvious.... We have both a GDL88 and a GDL39 in the 182. (The 39 was put in long before the 88, and we kept it in there just to feed the handheld GPS's ADS-B, and cause we already had it.) We pull the 39 out of the 182 (shouldn't really be hard-wired anyway) and Mrs.Me uses it in the work airplane. We put a Connext in the 182 to feed the handhelds. Her employer picks up part of it....win, win :)

The ADS-B receiver app still looks pretty cool to me, by the way. Thanks for all the suggestions.

Jim

Last edited:
My thread, so I can drift it.... Hey Mark Kolber, is that a snowy owl in your pic?
(Yes, it's still snowing in Ohio) :)

My thread, so I can drift it.... Hey Mark Kolber, is that a snowy owl in your pic?
(Yes, it's still snowing in Ohio) :)
I don't think it is a snowy. The snowys weren't too common in Colorado in 2005; I'm not sure any migrated there that year. Hard to tell from this angle but I'm fairly certain it is a great horned.

There's a story behind the photo: I was looking into becoming a minority owner of a Comanche. After doing a test flight, I came back to the airport to take my time looking it over. It was in a covered tie-down area and folks used to put plastic owls on the vertical stab to help scare away other birds, which would sit on the rafters and drop their stuff on the airplanes. When I saw this fellow I figured he was one of those. As I walked around the airplane, inspecting this and that, I suddenly had the uncomfortable feeling I was being watched...

Interesting story, Mark! We had a couple snowies in the area last winter, and I got a few pix of them (Put them...somewhere!). Never got cold enough, long enough for them to come down this year. Magnificent birds...5 foot wingspan. Local red-tailed hawk tried to defend his territory.....for about a minute.

Jim

They are indeed magnificent @Jim Rosenow . If you want to see some fantastic photos, visit Ray Palmer's site at www.falconphotos.com. snowy owls in the search box and you will come to this page. We used to visit with Rob at craft fairs in Colorado all the time. I own a few of his photos including this one which hung proudly on the wall of my office.
9050-L.jpg

Gorgeous photos, Mark! Thanks for the link!

Back to the original topic...as you may recall, we were gonna put the GLD39 out of the 182 in the work airplane. Guess not! Garmin doesn't make a USB power connector for the thing, and, believe it or not :) there's not a cigarette lighter in the Citation. Even called Garmin to make sure on the USB. She ordered a Stratus II and associated 'junk' (not related to the other forum topic) and will use Foreflight.

Just that caveat for others....no USB power to a GDL39.

Jim

Back