ADS-B experience

Ghery

Touchdown! Greaser!
Display Name

Display name:
Ghery Pettit
The club just put new avionics in the C-182P. Garmin GTN 650, GNC 255, GTX 345 and GMA 340. I took the 182 up today to see how they work. Well, actually, I was going to fly our 430W equipped 172N, but the alternator wasn't doing its thing on run-up, so I changed planes. And I had a return call from the maintenance officer for the 172 confirming that he went to the airport and saw the same things I did, so it wasn't my imagination. :)

That 650 is a sweet box. Being familiar with the 430W it will be an easy transition. But, it has it's own additional points. Like the GNC 255 it knows where it is and tells you what the frequency tuned in represents. For example, KOLM CTAF/Tower, gnd, ATIS, etc. I'm going to really like this new toy.

But, back to the thread title. The GTX 345 gives us ADS-B. I was flying from KPWT to KOLM for the final leg of the flight and was interrupted by a traffic warning. A plane I hadn't seen (until the box pointed it out) was coming my way. About 400 feet below me. A quick look at the display and then out the windscreen and I spotted him. As the box told me, he was below me, so there was no threat of collision, but it was nice having the extra set of eyes. I know we all complain about the cost, but I'm going to like having another set of "eyes" watching for traffic.

Be safe out there. I hope to see some of you at the AOPA fly-in at KPWT on the 20th. I'll be easy to spot. Just look for a guy wearing an AOPA ball cap.

I am flying a PA31-350 for the summer that has ADS-B. I do like it, Juneau can get pretty crazy when the visibility is down. It is nice to know if there is another airplane flying though the same pass going the other way or not.

Never had an idea ,of how close I have been to other aircraft,untill I installed the ADSB.

Ohio to Oshkosh, we came up the lake shore skirting Chicago's class B. It was way crowded and I very much appreciated my new Navworx ADS-B.

Funny thing is, the TIS system worked just fine, even now days the TIS plane I fly turns on at most every busy area, the boondocks not so much, but meh

It's just less stressful to not know about the other traffic. :D

Funny thing is, the TIS system worked just fine, even now days the TIS plane I fly turns on at most every busy area, the boondocks not so much, but meh

Yes, but this 182 was an old /A plane. All that old stuff got pulled and the new Garmin stack installed. Like night and day. The plane is now /G with extra toys. No TIS to move from. :)

Yes, but this 182 was an old /A plane. All that old stuff got pulled and the new Garmin stack installed. Like night and day. The plane is now /G with extra toys. No TIS to move from. :)

I may have some questions for you as our club 172 is potentially about to get the same treatment. From /A to /G via (hopefully) GTN650, GTX345, GMA340 and probably at least a new CDI (and possibly a new secondary radio as well).

I may have some questions for you as our club 172 is potentially about to get the same treatment. From /A to /G via (hopefully) GTN650, GTX345, GMA340 and probably at least a new CDI (and possibly a new secondary radio as well).

No problem. That's what we put in our 182. As I noted in another thread, I don't know what the club paid for this, but it works really well. Your GMA340 is a nice audio panel. We have that in our 430W equipped 172, as well. At least I didn't have to learn a new audio panel. If you need a new second Nav/Com, the GNC 255 we put in is really nice. Interfaced with your 650 it knows where it is and displays what the tuned frequency is, based on the nearest source using that frequency. For example, if I tune 124.400 at the home drome it tells me that the frequency is the tower at KOLM. Not that I didn't know that, but if you are operating away from home it is a nice feature. IDs VORs, localizers, etc. on the Nav side, too. The 650 does this, as well. Nice boxes.

The club just put new avionics in the C-182P. Garmin GTN 650, GNC 255, GTX 345 and GMA 340. I took the 182 up today to see how they work. Well, actually, I was going to fly our 430W equipped 172N, but the alternator wasn't doing its thing on run-up, so I changed planes. And I had a return call from the maintenance officer for the 172 confirming that he went to the airport and saw the same things I did, so it wasn't my imagination. :)

That 650 is a sweet box. Being familiar with the 430W it will be an easy transition. But, it has it's own additional points. Like the GNC 255 it knows where it is and tells you what the frequency tuned in represents. For example, KOLM CTAF/Tower, gnd, ATIS, etc. I'm going to really like this new toy.

But, back to the thread title. The GTX 345 gives us ADS-B. I was flying from KPWT to KOLM for the final leg of the flight and was interrupted by a traffic warning. A plane I hadn't seen (until the box pointed it out) was coming my way. About 400 feet below me. A quick look at the display and then out the windscreen and I spotted him. As the box told me, he was below me, so there was no threat of collision, but it was nice having the extra set of eyes. I know we all complain about the cost, but I'm going to like having another set of "eyes" watching for traffic.

Be safe out there. I hope to see some of you at the AOPA fly-in at KPWT on the 20th. I'll be easy to spot. Just look for a guy wearing an AOPA ball cap.

I started flying with ADS-B In/Out 2 years ago and instantly fell in love with it. I never understood those who thought ADS-B was technology that didn't live up to expectations. The extra awareness it brings is a life changer. Traffic, Next Rad, TAFs/METARs. We now have the Lynx 9000 touch screen transponder. On Cross Country flights, I actually leave it up on the Winds Aloft page now. I use my iPad and my Aspen for Primary Traffic awareness.

It makes flying just a little bit easier.

Never had an idea ,of how close I have been to other aircraft,untill I installed the ADSB.

Just flew behind a stratus esgi for the first time. Very cool. There sure are a lot of other airplanes out there.

On the other hand, with so many little blue airplanes on the screen to choose from, it's harder to keep the right one on the magenta line. The targets also change color if you get close enough to them; I think it must be a powerup of some sort, but no coins or mushrooms popped out.

... I use my iPad and my Aspen for Primary Traffic awareness.

Huston, we have a problem.

I use my eyeballs for primary traffic avoidance, all the other gadgets in the planes I fly, that's just a (hopefully) stop measure for anything I FAIL to see.

There are planes that will never show up on that box ya know, a Mr. Murphy is a sadistic SOB.

On the other hand, with so many little blue airplanes on the screen to choose from, it's harder to keep the right one on the magenta line. The targets also change color if you get close enough to them; I think it must be a powerup of some sort, but no coins or mushrooms popped out.
Spin towards them, and you get a pokeplane.

Back