ADS-B & Existing WAAS GPS

(Lots of information on this site; got me to sign up for the site. Go easy on the newbie! Thanks)

Existing Garmin 430 is kaput, so I'm fixing/upgrading to the G430 WAAS.
My existing xpndr is the original ARC RT-359A. I figure since they have things opened up, maybe I do the ADS-B Out compliance now as well.

I was originally considering getting the GTX330ES to get ADS-B compliant. Instead, my avionics house is recommending adding a GDL88 (no WAAS) and a new pressure altitude encoder to get ADS-B Out compliant; and just stick with the existing transponder.

I fly below FL180, and in the US (though have considered a trip to Mexico and across Canada to get to Alaska). I use a Stratus-II plus iPad for ADS-B In.

Excluding installation (haven't received that quote for the two options), seems like the GDL88 path would be about $800 more expensive using online prices, but I'd get traffic and weather on the 430W (the integrated traffic callouts would be especially nice IMO). I'd also keep looking at my old transponder and wouldn't have 1090ES capability, but I think I can live with that.

Thoughts?
Is one installation easier than the other?
Curiosity question (not likely to sway my decision): will ADS-B compliance be mandatory in Canada and Mexico?

The GDL is a PITA to install because it goes in the empennage, not in the panel. As I understand it, the wiring for it (two antennas, power, and 430W integration) requires them to disassemble the interior quite a bit to route things.

I'm considering a GDL-88 also but my shop has advised me that it saves me money to wait until my annual when the airplane will be opened up anyway - rather than pay to have them take it apart now and again at annual.

In other words, the 1090ES transponder is a much quicker installation because it goes in the panel. But the GDL-88 is a much better option for you IMHO because it gets you the integration with your 430W and I've heard having that data on the box is fantastic. I'd probably go with the GDL-88 at annual in your situation.

I will add that Garmin has a racket going with their closed proprietary data system. They have not come off their prices for the GDL-88 one little bit in spite of all the competition elsewhere in the ADS-B space because they have us Garmin navigator owners (GTN 750 here) by cojones and they know it.

Last edited:
fwiw, avionics shop quoted me $6355 and change for parts and installation of either the GDL-88 or GTX330ES; they said it was basically a wash. They recommend the GDL88 route.

In either case, I apparently need new coax wiring, which may have driven the cost.

On top of that, $3k for the 430 WAAS upgrade.

Total bill: $9355... ugh!

They quoted 8 days till the work is done (I suppose they have to wait for the parts, etc).

I just flew with the Ranger feeding Foreflight directly. It was really sweet to not have to fool with a dashboard box.

I would install the GDL88. If you do and keep your mode A/C transponder, you might as well get the avionics shop to configure your system so it can use anonymous mode. Anonymous mode is a GDL88 feature where your N number is not broadcast when you are squawking 1200.

Canada plans on using 1090ES, but they say they will not mandate it. It is available in the Hudson Bay area and at FL290 you can get improved direct routing. Mexico has no published plans of any type.

fwiw, avionics shop quoted me $6355 and change for parts and installation of either the GDL-88 or GTX330ES; they said it was basically a wash. They recommend the GDL88 route.

In either case, I apparently need new coax wiring, which may have driven the cost.

On top of that, $3k for the 430 WAAS upgrade.

Total bill: $9355... ugh!

They quoted 8 days till the work is done (I suppose they have to wait for the parts, etc).

That's pretty similar to what I was quoted for the GDL-88 install. Foxtrot.

Yikes! :yikes:

I should be able to knock out installation in a week or two with one hand and a wheelchair and be well under $3k installed.

But that NavWork box won't integrate with the Garmin box nearly as well as the GDL-88 from what I've heard. But you'd would still have all the same stuff on the iPad it just doesn't talk to you the way it would via the 430W.

But that NavWork box won't integrate with the Garmin box nearly as well as the GDL-88 from what I've heard. But you'd would still have all the same stuff on the iPad it just doesn't talk to you the way it would via the 430W.

I can live with all of those points.

FWIW they were showing development of an audio interface with an audiopanel. Not sure if they canned the idea or are still perusing it.

I can live with all of those points.

FWIW they were showing development of an audio interface with an audiopanel. Not sure if they canned the idea or are still perusing it.

I'm seriously considering installing the Navworx unit, and removing my current Skyradar ADS-B in unit. I'm pretty sure that I'll lose the integrated signal to my ipad that incorporates AHRS data, but I can live with that. I would really like the AHRS to pipe into it's own display on a 5th gen ipod touch...

Back