ADS-B Always On Requirement

hankrausch

Pre-takeoff checklist
Display Name

Display name:
GoodbyePOA
I had a chat with a fellow at uavionix last night, I am interested in their wingtip and tailtip mounts for UAT ads-b out. They sell a self contained unit that replaces the left wingtip light or the rear tail light. They are selling a unit for non certifed a/c this Fall but hope to sell the certified units next spring/summer. It should reduce the install costs quite a bit. Here is their website: https://www.uavionix.com/

We got to chatting and he mentioned that the one hitch they might run into is that the FAA required that the ADS-B unit be powered by a bus that cannot be turned off by the pilot-so hooking it to the collision light rocker would be a no-go, it would have to be wired to the mains bus.

Up to now I figured that it would be like Mode C, on when required but when not required you would be free to keep it off. But apparently not, the FAA wants to be able to see you no matter where you are. Looked for the regs on the FAA website but they cross reference so many other regs that it is not easy/impossible to corroborate this. Has anyone else heard this?

I had a chat with a fellow at uavionix last night, I am interested in their wingtip and tailtip mounts for UAT ads-b out. They sell a self contained unit that replaces the left wingtip light or the rear tail light. They are selling a unit for non certifed a/c this Fall but hope to sell the certified units next spring/summer. It should reduce the install costs quite a bit. Here is their website: https://www.uavionix.com/

We got to chatting and he mentioned that the one hitch they might run into is that the FAA required that the ADS-B unit be powered by a bus that cannot be turned off by the pilot-so hooking it to the collision light rocker would be a no-go, it would have to be wired to the mains bus.

Up to now I figured that it would be like Mode C, on when required but when not required you would be free to keep it off. But apparently not, the FAA wants to be able to see you no matter where you are. Looked for the regs on the FAA website but they cross reference so many other regs that it is not easy/impossible to corroborate this. Has anyone else heard this?

91.225 (f) Each person operating an aircraft equipped with ADS-B Out must operate this equipment in the transmit mode at all times.

That being said, all installations can be disabled by a pilot. Everything is being hooked to a switched bus. There is no requirement to install it differently than a regular transponder in regard to controlling power. In fact, There are bout 4 different ways I could disable mine, the simplest by turning of the GTX345, it does still have power on/off buttons on the unit. Pulling the circuit breaker, pulling the circuit breaker for the GPS (where it gets the position data), turning off the master avionic switch, or turning off the master switch.

I don't know if the FAA would accept it being wired on a lighting circuit because, well, that's strange.

Thank you very much! That explains it.

my ads-b setup has a control head that I can turn off, standby, on and ALT just like a transponder.. It's certified..

Up to now I figured that it would be like Mode C, on when required but when not required you would be free to keep it off.

ADS-B is no different than mode C, which is also always required to be on. If you have a transponder and you're in controlled airspace (everything except class G) then 91.215(c) requires mode C to be on: "While in the airspace as specified in paragraph (b) of this section or in all controlled airspace, each person operating an aircraft equipped with an operable ATC transponder maintained in accordance with §91.413 of this part shall operate the transponder, including Mode C equipment if installed, and shall reply on the appropriate code or as assigned by ATC."

-Paul

Except...
"91.413 ATC transponder tests and inspections.
(a) No persons may use an ATC transponder that is specified in 91.215(a), 121.345(c), or §135.143(c) of this chapter unless, within the preceding 24 calendar months, the ATC transponder has been tested and inspected and found to comply with appendix F of part 43 of this chapter; and

(b) Following any installation or maintenance on an ATC transponder where data correspondence error could be introduced, the integrated system has been tested, inspected, and found to comply with paragraph (c), appendix E, of part 43 of this chapter."

So, if you've blown through the 24 months you "can't" operate the transponder, you are required to operate the ADS-B, and they both have to send the same code which means that you can't get there from here.

My CFI says that the revised ADS-B rule says that the ADS-B OUT MUST STAY ON WHILE ON THE GROUND, which my new Stratus ES-1090 doesn't do by default.
It goes into Ground mode and when you press ALT it says, "Press [ FUNCTION ] to override.

I'll look for a firmware update to be coming.

My CFI says that the revised ADS-B rule says that the ADS-B OUT MUST STAY ON WHILE ON THE GROUND, which my new Stratus ES-1090 doesn't do by default.
It goes into Ground mode and when you press ALT it says, "Press [ FUNCTION ] to override.'
Ground mode is off and not transmitting what it is supposed to transmit while in ground mode?

Ground mode is off and not transmitting what it is supposed to transmit while in ground mode?

Ground mode tags the data as the aircraft being on the ground.. in Foreflight for example the targets will turn brown to indicate they are on the ground..

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The air/ground logic only changes what data is transmitted in the ADS-B message, does not turn it off.

Ahhh...but the Stratus display treats it as ground mode vs. Alt.
If it's worKing right, that's relief.

Ground mode tags the data as the aircraft being on the ground.. in Foreflight for example the targets will turn brown to indicate they are on the ground..

I'm now "offended" that ForeFlight chose the color of poop to represent me while I'm taxiing!

That or ForeFlight is racist! Quick. Call a protest via flash mob and social media!

Whike we are protesting, we should start with tearing down those monuments of oppression known as "Control Towers".

They've been used for a century to enslave pilots to their commands and symbolize terror.

:) :) :)

Ha that’s about as bad as people getting worked up over cotton decorations at Hobby Lobby. lol!!!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Back