ADHD flight training

Benw

Pre-Flight
Display Name

Display name:
Benw
For the CFIs on the board. How many hours does it take to tell if a student “gets it.” Or how would you tell a student to take up another hobby?

the FAA denies ADHD, if Cogscreen says a person is below the 16th (or is it 18th?) percentile, so what mistakes would a hypothetical pilot at the 15th percentile make?

What would an adhd pilot do in the air that would be concerning?

I'll usually have a student change instructors if I can't solo them in about 25 hours and don't see it happening soon either. As far as telling a student to take up another hobby, well I'm not clairvoyant. It's difficult or impossible to tell if a struggling student wouldn't do better with more training.

Can't really answer your specific questions about ADHD, but distraction is a common cause of accidents, and that's in "normal" people. I would venture to say an ADHD person is more likely to become distracted.

Well as CFI I have done some operational evaluations.

Repeat instruction and not "getting it" is a problem.

Multitasking is the issue, and inability to learn/adapt quickly ...
Chronic inability to do 3 part simultaneous tasks- is a problem. (45 degree banked turn= power, pitch, rudder = 3 parts)
4 part tasks (eights on pylons) OMG.
Then add talking to the Air Traffic guys.
Then the essentially, confession, from the legacy airline dad that he left a lot of stuff off the medxpress (the kid didn't go through me for the medical).
I spoke to a primary Helo candidate (after his CFI came in beaded up with sweat after three near tail strikes, witnessed out my window) and he said, "so what do you have to do to get it to hover?"....which is what the Helo CFI was attempting to teach him that session....that's not good.

....and so it goes.

Before I tell them to take up a new hobby, I’ll pass them on to another instructor. Sometimes it is me. I feel like I’d be doing the student a disservice to the student if I didn’t have him go up for an evaluation with another instructor. I’ve had students plateau in certain phases of training but luckily haven’t had any that just couldn’t get it.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back