Addressing The Aviation Jobs Shortage

Simple economics will address any shortage. As the pool of appropriately trained people diminishes pay for those remaining should increase. Increased pay increases the pool of trained people. If it isn't going this way there's something hinky in the mix.

Simple economics will address any shortage. As the pool of appropriately trained people diminishes pay for those remaining should increase. Increased pay increases the pool of trained people. If it isn't going this way there's something hinky in the mix.

True, but exposing people to the field does help.

True, but exposing people to the field does help.
Honestly, if the economics were that good you wouldn't have to. Who is exposed to being a doctor or other medical professional? There are still more people wanting to enter these fields than there are jobs to fill.

I've done a couple of presentations at schools and talked about the wide variety of aviation careers available.

We do have our youth program at the chapter. We have a ground school for the youth and on Saturdays we have the build program. Our youth are currently building an Ultra-Lite Pietenpol a full size Pietenpol and a BD-6 along with a Corvair engine that will be a cutaway learning tool. Our youth earn credits for hours worked that can be applied against the rental of a C-150 for training. We've had four of them solo this year. We have about 30 active youth in the program. We have to limit how many can come each Saturday based on projects and mentors available.

Soon robots will replace most jobs in aviation. A robot can even do a GE engine check like the commercial shows.

If economics alone solves labor shortages, I wonder why there’s a shortage of skilled manufacturing people vs a surplus of lawyers and some other college majors who have massive debts even though skilled machinists and other trades earn more than most journeyman attorneys (social workers, librarians and others) without the debt.

Cheers

If economics alone solves labor shortages, I wonder why there’s a shortage of skilled manufacturing people vs a surplus of lawyers and some other college majors who have massive debts even though skilled machinists and other trades earn more than most journeyman attorneys (social workers, librarians and others) without the debt.

Cheers

Perhaps because the people who invested (or wasted their parents money on) education for them thar other jobs look down their noses at working in a trade?

I doubt the average Library Science graduate (what a load that title is) or MPA would make a good electrician or welder. Sure, some could, but by and large... me thinks not.

Honestly, if the economics were that good you wouldn't have to. Who is exposed to being a doctor or other medical professional? There are still more people wanting to enter these fields than there are jobs to fill.

That's true, in theory. "In theory there is no difference between theory and practice. In practice there is." :D

Unfortunately there is friction in practice. Gaps in knowledge.

Yes, increasing pay will go a long way, but if the history is "low pay" there is some marketing to do to overcome that perception. Too many kids have little understanding of what their options are career-wise.

Too many kids have little understanding of what their options are career-wise.

...and too many kids (and people in general) have little understanding of the difference between a job and a career. Everyone gets a degree and thinks they are entitled to be a multi million dollar CEO right outta the gate!

https://player.vimeo.com/video/239050403

There are a lot of pilots that think that they did four years of college, joined the military and worked and sacrificed there and then come to the airlines, that they are entitled to a senior Captain pay and schedule. I have had guys whine that it's not fair that the senior pukes get the best lines and pay. I told one entitled young guy that it sounds good now but later when they are senior then they will not want to give up their "cushy" senior line. They want it now.

...and too many kids (and people in general) have little understanding of the difference between a job and a career. Everyone gets a degree and thinks they are entitled to be a multi million dollar CEO right outta the gate!
That's why I dropped out of college...I didn't want to be a multi million dollar CEO! :D

Unless you're an off-grid born-at-home person, you've been to a doctor at some point in life. I'd imagine that in the United States, >99% of people have been exposed to the medical profession somehow.

Not nearly as many people have ever been on an airplane, and when they are they sit in back with a divider from the pilots. So there's black magic that goes on there.

As a kid, it seemed obvious to me that one could be a doctor, but less obvious that mere mortals could become pilots. Also, a lot of parents aren't necessarily going to be encouraging of a career in aviation, whereas most parents will be encouraging of a career in medicine.

So, I think that the exposure is a good thing to provide to kids. They should realize that pilots are humans too (despite what many of us think), and that it's a viable career path.

Perhaps because the people who invested (or wasted their parents money on) education for them thar other jobs look down their noses at working in a trade?

I doubt the average Library Science graduate (what a load that title is) or MPA would make a good electrician or welder. Sure, some could, but by and large... me thinks not.

Library Science is actually a skilled information and database technology degree tied to the field of education. If you've ever used or accessed a library, a database, or information resource in any field including vocational trade school a Master of Library Science graduate helped you access the information you needed.

But can a Master of Library Science weld, wire up a basement, plumb a spare bathroom?

I deal with databases and information resources daily. Haven't seen a librarian or needed the Dewey Decimal System explained since I was in grade school.

Sorry, I could just as easily have picked on Women's Studies or Philosophy majors.

But can a Master of Library Science weld, wire up a basement, plumb a spare bathroom?

I deal with databases and information resources daily. Haven't seen a librarian or needed the Dewey Decimal System explained since I was in grade school.

Sorry, I could just as easily have picked on Women's Studies or Philosophy majors.

Just don't you dare pick on my underwater basket weaving degree.

@mscard88 -- No I can't. But I value tradespeople and gladly employ them.

Hell... We all know I'm the guy with an E-AB and use an A&P for all my maintenance because I'm mechanically inept.

Back