Adding on helicopter to Commercial asel

Salty

Touchdown! Greaser!
Display Name

Display name:
Salty
can someone help me with the regulations that covers this? Do you need helicopter private first, or can you add helicopter on to commercial?

My guess would be to consult the new PTS (whatever it's called now).

Regardless, why not just private helo?? I'm sure you have your reasons but I'm just curious.
Jobs flying helos are not plentiful, and when they are available would go to experienced rotorwing guys. At least that's the way it used to be years ago. Perhaps things have changed.

Yes, you can go straight to the commercial helicopter.

Educate me... would that be more training than just doing a private? If so, would it be worth the extra training?

You sure? 61.129(c) says “... a person who applies for a commercial pilot certificate with a rotorcraft category and helicopter class rating must...”. The “with a rotorcraft category and helicopter class rating” part seems to imply those are prerequisites.

You sure? 61.129(c) says “... a person who applies for a commercial pilot certificate with a rotorcraft category and helicopter class rating must...”. The “with a rotorcraft category and helicopter class rating” part seems to imply those are prerequisites.
the quoted text is the certificate description, not the requirements.

My guess would be to consult the new PTS (whatever it's called now).

Regardless, why not just private helo?? I'm sure you have your reasons but I'm just curious.
Jobs flying helos are not plentiful, and when they are available would go to experienced rotorwing guys. At least that's the way it used to be years ago. Perhaps things have changed.
Helis are just a dream I've always had, too old to go career, although I may want to teach someday. I'm being told I have benefits that would cover advanced training but not private certification training.

Last edited:
You don't need to do private helicopter. In fact, the school I learned at did the path PRIVATE AIRPLANE, COMMERCIAL AIRPLANE, COMMERCIAL HELICOPTER for the same price as going PRIVATE HELICOPTER, COMMERCIAL HELICOPTER because of the difference in rental rates.

he quoted text is the certificate description, not the requirements.
Eh, he meant read the part that followed the .... It tells you the exact requirements. You subtract all the stuff that doesn't say "must be in helicopters" if you have already logged it in an airplane.

The other operative part is 61.63(b) which covers "Additional category ratings." You can skip taking the written again.

I did basically the same thing, but got the private add-on before the commercial. I don't think I was necessarily planning on doing the commercial when I got the private. One advantage I can see is that you would be able to rent it and take passengers with just a private, rather than needing to accumulate the greater number of hours for the commercial. It was a long time ago though (late 1990s), so I don't remember the details.

I did basically the same thing, but got the private add-on before the commercial. I don't think I was necessarily planning on doing the commercial when I got the private. One advantage I can see is that you would be able to rent it and take passengers with just a private, rather than needing to accumulate the greater number of hours for the commercial. It was a long time ago though (late 1990s), so I don't remember the details.
Ah yeah, I hadn't considered the time investment needed. But, to teach helis I guess it would be a necessary step.

50 hours in heli isnt that bad. 35 as pic? Not so bad.

Would absolutely love to get the heli rating.... but money stands in the way.
I would di it before some silly tailwheel rating. Float rating is right up there, but I'd still go roto. Perhaps Airship/blimp would be number 1 in line.

Wasn't there a blimp guy on here at one point??

To add Commercial Helicopter to Commerical AIrplane (need the follow heli time):
50 hours total time.
35 hours PIC
10 hours XC
20 hours of instruction (to include some specific things)
10 hours solo or with CFI-dummy (note the solo time counts for PIC, the CFI-dummy does not)

I would di it before some silly tailwheel rating. Float rating is right up there, but I'd still go roto. Perhaps Airship/blimp would be number 1 in line.

Wasn't there a blimp guy on here at one point??
There was but you ran him off.

Wasn't there a blimp guy on here at one point??[

Have you considered a gyro? The modern ones are very different than the older Bensen ones. I got my private/rotorcraft gyro rating earlier this year (have had my SEL for a while) and am finishing up the minimal requirements to add the Commercial gyro rating (I don’t have a Commercial fixed-wing yet). My main reason for pursuing the Com Gyro is the added training - just setting a personal goal.

Anyway, gyros are way cheaper than helos, arguably safer (personally I think they’re a LOT safer) and a lot of fun.

Consider getting a demo ride in a “modern” one like a Magni, Silverlight AR-1, Titanium, Autogyro, or ELA. There are open and closed cockpits, tandem and side-by-side.

If you’re comfortable with the risk of a small helo you should be comfortable with the risk of a modern gyro.

Indeed. That's why I'm interested in skipping private to use the benefits.
The problem with skipping the private is getting that 35 hours PIC time. It would all have to be solo to be PIC. That is a lot of time for someone that is just a student pilot in helicopters.

You end up needing training to get to commercial standards in the end anyway. None of that dual can be PIC if you don't have a Private license. Getting the private not only allows you to make use of it in the interim as "Everskyward" mentioned above but generally won't cost you anymore in the long run anyway.

Back