Adding Intercom

teethdoc

Pre-takeoff checklist
Display Name

Display name:
teethdoc
I have and older KMA24 with marker but no intercom. Pilot and copilot have PTT and can talk to /hear ATC. They just can't talk to each other. Is there a cheap fix until I upgrade to a PS engineering audio panel? My best option seems to be a portable aerocom iii intercom, but that would seem like it would deactivate the co-pilot PTT unless I add another external PTT button?

**edited: KMA24 not KMA20

Last edited:
I have and older KMA20 with marker but no intercom. Pilot and copilot have PTT and can talk to /hear ATC. They just can't talk to each other. Is there a cheap fix until I upgrade to a PS engineering audio panel? My best option seems to be a portable aerocom iii intercom, but that would seem like it would deactivate the co-pilot PTT unless I add another external PTT button?

Add the external PTT through the intercom

It would depend on the intercom. My SoftComm plugs into the the pilot's side mic/headphone jack. It has a separate PTT jack for the pilot and copilot. When you use those, it will pass whoever's PTT is pushed. If you just push the aircraft PTT (on the side that the intercom is plugged into), it only gets the pilot audio.

Wierd Jim's old intercoms actually ran the mic plugs for both the pilot and copilot straight through to the the radio plugs if I recall properly.

Back