Adding another aircraft (maybe)

Scrabo

Pattern Altitude
Display Name

Display name:
Scrabo
So we are talking about adding a second aircraft to our fleet, there was been some discussion on what we might go after. Probably something in the 15 to 25 year old range.

Choices discussed are as follows, would like to hear pros and con of ownership on these...

Grumman Tiger
Cirrus SR20
Mooney 201
Beechcraft Debonair
Cessna 182 or 182RG

A fleet would mean you already have more than one wouldn't it ;) Are you in a flying club?

A fleet of 1 so far and yes, very small club !!

Damn Ipad keyboard I missed the "" around fleet :)

A 182 makes the most sense for a club. Insurance will be a lot cheaper than any of the other planes mentioned. Evem a newly minted pilot can be insured right away in a 182. Retractables will require more hours and have higher maintenance costs. Club I was in had two 182s and a Mooney 201. The 182s got flown twice as much as the Mooney. Get one with a P-Ponk engine conversion and cruise 145kts. Don

What's your current plane? Might help for suggestions.

Looks like you want to travel. The questions become: how far? how often? how many people and bags? what kind of fields?

182s have a reputation for large useful loads, but they also have relatively high fuel burn. If you're looking to go far with a medium-to-high payload, check the fuel each plane requires for that trip, add reserves, and see how much payload is left. Then run a Weight & Balance at the takeoff and landing fuel loads and see how that looks; some planes will shift CG rear so that significant amount of fuel can't be burned without going too far aft.

Current it is an Warrior. Primary use would be breakfast runs up to 400 nm round trip, the occasional multi day trip to a neighboring state like CA, a real 4 person plane would be nice but would settle for 3', personally I would not lean towards a retractable due to the insurance costs but I am in the minority in that one.

Once in a while a member talks about PHX to OSH, so that type of trip would be very rare.

A club here has a Warrior and they decided to get another Warrior instead of something else. They ran the usage stats and decided that was what they wanted. I haven't joined yet but still thinking about it. Besides, too damn hot right now anyway (Alabama).

Agree with the idea of a 182. Our club has a 1975 182P and it is a great fit for all of the close in activities and the occasional long distance travel.

A 182 is a great traveler. Big, comfy, fuel hog. But if it's yank-and-bank more than x-ctry, 182 handles like a pig, very ponderous. . .

A 182 would complement the other plane nicely. I love mooneys but IMO it's a faster version of what you already have.

The 182 does look interesting

How about a Cherokee 6
Fixed gear
It has 6 seats but is a great 4 adult with bags carrier.

I've flown most of the planes on the list but don't have any first-hand ownership experience. That said, nice list!

Current it is an Warrior. Primary use would be breakfast runs up to 400 nm round trip, the occasional multi day trip to a neighboring state like CA, a real 4 person plane would be nice but would settle for 3', personally I would not lean towards a retractable due to the insurance costs but I am in the minority in that one.

If you already have a Warrior then a PA28-235 sounds like a more fitting step-up plane than a 182. Otherwise, your members might not want to go back to flying a low wing after sampling a high wing :p

Otherwise, in your list the Tiger probably flies the most like the Warrior and has the least fuel/MX cost. It also flies about as fast as a 182. However it's a only a 4-person plane when filling to the tabs (38gal) and all 4 average out to FAA-standard 170lbs.

Agree 182 or Tiger would probably be best from your list, leaning toward the 182 as being the most versatile.
However the PA28-235 would be great fit also, if you can find one in your budget.

Brian
CFIIG/ASEL

Back