Add me to the list!

farmerbrake

Line Up and Wait
Display Name

Display name:
farmerbrake
Of instrument rate pilots!
Passed my checkride today. Was a really good day.
Thanks for all the help on the forum!
Can't wait to put my new rating to use (in a safe manner of course).

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N910A using Tapatalk

Congrats! Write up of the experience to come, I hope?

Thanks all!
Not much to tell really. From the time I first shook his hand till the time I shook it before he walked out the door was about 7 hours. But we waited about 2 hours for the weather to clear, plus took a few breaks here and there.
Total time in the plane was about 1.7 hours. Had to fly to a different airport than planned because of the clouds being low.
Overall really great experience. Decided to tease my instructor and another instructor that helped along the way by saying that I failed. Needless to say if they both carried through on what they said they'd do to me when they found out I did pass I would either be writing this from a hospital bed or not able to write this at all lol.
The examiner didn't throw me anything I wasn't really expecting.
I had 51 hours of xc and 42 of instrument, of which 5 was in actual.

Not sure what other info you guys want.
But can't wait to continue to learn!
I'm probably going to go up with my instructor at least one more time in the near future if we get a nice actual imc day just go solidify everything and learn a few more 'real world' tips/tricks.

I've found that passing the check ride was really just the sign off for the real check ride...the first time you fly solo into the soup. I had a real sense of being by myself on that first flight ifr...similar I suppose to the first solo, but more intense.

Gratz...and go find weather soon!

I've found that passing the check ride was really just the sign off for the real check ride...the first time you fly solo into the soup. I had a real sense of being by myself on that first flight ifr...similar I suppose to the first solo, but more intense.

Gratz...and go find weather soon!
This. The day after I got my IR, I flew in a few miles visibility with 500 foot ceilings. It's always nice seeing those approach lights when you break out.

This. The day after I got my IR, I flew in a few miles visibility with 500 foot ceilings. It's always nice seeing those approach lights when you break out.
It was raining here today. Vis. Was down to right around 1 mile, ceilings were 400 ft. Overcast, few between 1 and 200. We do have an ils that takes you to 200 and 1/2. Thought about it but didn't want to do it that low on my first solo. I'll get there soon enough though.
I love snow for Christmas but this warmer weather means I could potentially use my new Rating more!

Last edited:
Don't let anyone push you into something you're not comfortable with but 400/1 seems like a pretty good margin.

What are you looking for?

Don't let anyone push you into something you're not comfortable with but 400/1 seems like a pretty good margin.

What are you looking for?
Probably between 6-800 and at least 1 1/2 - 2 for a few outings.
Got to shoot one where viability was 1 mile or less with my instructor and it got my blood pumping pretty good. Granted, that was a vor not an ils, but still a phenomenal learning experience.

Okay, well, keep flying while you wait for that day to come. Over time (even if VFR) operating in the IFR system you'll feel more and more at ease and when that day does come you'll be ready. Just don't not file for months waiting for perfect conditions because rust builds fast...especially for newly acquired skills.

Again, Gratz.

Okay, well, keep flying while you wait for that day to come. Over time (even if VFR) operating in the IFR system you'll feel more and more at ease and when that day does come you'll be ready. Just don't not file for months waiting for perfect conditions because rust builds fast...especially for newly acquired skills.

Again, Gratz.
Thanks for all the great advice. I really appreciate it!

Thought I'd update everyone. Finally got to put my ticket to use today. Flew a xc flight in actual conditions.
Really weird feeling at first, and took a minute to shake the feeling. After that everything was good. Was neat being near the top of the one layer. If I didn't watch my altitude I would pop up on top a little.
Didn't get to shoot the approaches too low, but the one ils I did do I broke out a little bit, only to get back in.

Now to find lower conditions and do it again!

It's a bit different, isn't it?

My first solo IMC flight had me skimming the tops of stratus, in and out as the cloud tops oscillated. Pretty amazing.

Just now saw this. Congratulations! Using it already is a real plus. Keep up the good work!

Thanks everyone!
Would've used it again today, but there was an air met for icing, and the icing chart showed a chance of trace to light icing around 3000 feet. Figured I shouldn't mess with that yet.

Would've used it again today, but there was an air met for icing, and the icing chart showed a chance of trace to light icing around 3000 feet. Figured I shouldn't mess with that yet.

Congrats on the instrument rating! :cheerswine:

It's best to just delete that 'yet' and leave it at 'that'. :yesnod:

Congrats on the instrument rating! :cheerswine:

It's best to just delete that 'yet' and leave it at 'that'. :yesnod:
I should've added the stipulation that 'yet' mean until I fly a plane that is fiki equipped and such, and more than likely that plane will be a turbine.... in like 13000 hrs lol.

Back