ADA lawyer body slammed (in court)

One of my co-workers always said (while putting in for reasonable overtime amounts), "Pigs get fed, hogs get slaughtered."

Maybe this attorney never heard that.

I think Jay Honeck has something similar with Amelia’s Island, too.

"Body slammed"? Wow, talk about sensationalism!
Same thing I thought. But that's what it said, so that what I posted. But the guy does deserve to be body-slammed, for real.

At issue are actually two nearly identical cases filed by Johnson against two different Miami gas stations. Johnson claimed, among other things, that as a hearing-impaired person, he couldn’t hear the videos that run on the screens at either of the station’s gas pumps, and said the lack of closed-captioning on the pump TVs violated the Americans with Disabilities Act.

HA!

I feel people who CAN hear those dreadful gas pump video ads should be receiving settlements.

I'm glad to see the system is getting less tolerant of this twist on ambulance-chasing.

My wife worried about this at her prior employer, as one of these serial lawsuit types was cutting a path through Fallbrook, CA in the earlier part of this decade.

The attorney and his wheelchar-bound client would come to your door, ask to use the toilet, and then try to find all the ways, big or small, that your facility did not comply with ADA.

Many small companies were hit quite hard, and a few closed-up-shop under the stress of the legal defense.

It caused a rash of signs to be installed around the community, reading: "Restrooms are for customers only."

If under a certain number of employees you don't have to comply.

I love the ada. I had to remodel an office buildings restrooms because they weren’t compliant. Excuse of the magpies who paid zero.

I said, we have compliant facilities at the other end of the property with a larger conference room. I’ve been here for 10 years and haven’t seen an issue. How many disabled people are we hosting here? (Chemical plant)

They all parroted the same name. A very nice systems engineer who visited exactly once.

He has the dubious honor of being the ONLY handicapable person to visit that facility, which existed for 61 years and has since been leveled, grounds remediated, and turned into strip mall. Which I’m sure is ADA compliant

We all need to declare war on these dumb ass "standard" sized parking space markings. These ****ing things need to be two feet wider

I laughed my ass of at newest "luxury" apartment complex in town, they still have these stupid tiny spaces marked in the parking lot. What a joke

Our local police and fire uniform dealer was forced to put in a wheelchair ramp. He pointed out that that if an officer or firefighter was wheelchair-bound, they wouldn’t be buying uniforms or equipment. The county wouldn’t budge and threatened him with big fines.

He sunk thousands into the ramp. In the 10 years or so that he owned the business, not a single person in a wheelchair ever shopped there.

Oh, here's a good one with the ADA compliance. KGRR ( Grand Rapids, MI for @Juliet Hotel ) has a cell phone lot (where you wait for arrivals) that's not near any buildings nor would there be any reason to get out of your car there. But you guessed it, handicap parking spaces in the cell phone lot. No wider than normal spaces, but they are marked with blue lines, signs, and a wheelchair symbol. Because...compliance. And idiocracy.

Our local police and fire uniform dealer was forced to put in a wheelchair ramp. He pointed out that that if an officer or firefighter was wheelchair-bound, they wouldn’t be buying uniforms or equipment. The county wouldn’t budge and threatened him with big fines.

He sunk thousands into the ramp. In the 10 years or so that he owned the business, not a single person in a wheelchair ever shopped there.

I'd send the bill to the county.

Where there is a system, there will be gamers of said system.

This thread reminds me I meant to ask @Let'sgoflying! If he got sued by Caff**. From another thread about lawsuits, but since this thread is the new one...

In Texas...I was told 2 years.
I say this because I have in my calendar next Thursday, "Caff** Claim Statue of Limitations expiry."
Caff** being the larger, elderly person with dizziness problems who was pulled over by his own dog in my lobby, breaking his shoulder two years ago. The 2 years was told me by, I believe, my insurer.
What difference it makes to have it on my calendar I cannot say, perhaps some minor feeling of relief.

And Home Depot. Ever count the number of handicapped spaces at HD?

And Home Depot. Ever count the number of handicapped spaces at HD?

The veterans affairs hospitals need to up their ADA game. You ever seen the number of cars doing laps trying to get the next HC spot? I truly believe that is the only reason security is required at those hospitals, to break up the old vets about to beat each other with their canes.

I used to design to ADA standards, it gets bleeding difficult to connect 18-20 24-unit apartment buildings with side walk that never exceeds slope maximums in foothills type terrain. The damn world ain't flat.

My favorite was a contractor building a small restaurant. He ignored our finished floor elevation stake and poured the slab a couple feet higher. He had to build a handicap ramp that went around the building, did a u-turn, then came back to the front entrance to get high enough to get in the building. Idiot. :D

I admit. I used the handicapped space at Home Depot ..... more than once.

My ankle had been rebuilt, and I was on a cane for a while. But, home stuff still had to happen.

And... I appreciated the crap out of 'em.

I don't have the tags/use them any more. And my ankle is doing fine. And they were mostly unpopulated when I was using them.

We all need to declare war on these dumb ass "standard" sized parking space markings. These ****ing things need to be two feet wider

I laughed my ass of at newest "luxury" apartment complex in town, they still have these stupid tiny spaces marked in the parking lot. What a joke
Careful what you wish for. Around here, there are a couple of jurisdictions that would simply tell them to eliminate parking spaces and not replace them. When? Because some of the elected officials think that will take cars off the road, and they don't like cars.

Recently the state redid an intersection outside our gym building. They spend months forming out and pouring this convoluted set of handicapped ramps to sidewalks that don’t exist. Literally the sidewalk/ramp they put in about 10’ later drops off 6” to a grassy lawn. I asked the guys doing the work and they said it has to be put in that way, even if there are no sidewalks!!! Looked expensive.

"Body slammed"? Wow, talk about sensationalism!

It’s not as overboard as some. The article does say the guy faces disbarment. That’s a pretty decent body slam.

I like what the judge did to the plaintiff more, though. The attorney should have gotten that much community service as well. At the same place.

We do have a few wheelchair bound officers here and they do wear uniforms. A couple are in desk jobs due to injuries received on the job. One will recover. The other won’t.

The third is a long time dispatcher at a Sheriff’s department where dispatch is fully deputized. Not all do that everywhere, but that particular Sheriff wants everyone a fully qualified deputy.

Pretty sure most departments have mail order/internet order options these days for uniform purchases though. I’m amazed a brick and mortar even survives.

One thing that really frustrates me, companies that can't seem to respond via email. Depending on the connection and voice at the other end voice calls can be fine, but written communication rules for deaf and hard of hearing folks. I'm trying to get some issues solved right now with a vendor that doesn't "get it", and I'm pretty sure I'll never buy another thing from them. (I know the emails are going thru)

I wish I could like (or love) that post multiple times.
I have severe hearing difficulties on the phone. I often email a business and explain that, but they still call me back, or respond with an email that asks me to call them. If I wanted to, or could call, I would have done that in the first place.

It is actually not so bad now that my new hearing aids connect directly to my iphone, so I can actually do pretty well on the phone, but I still bothers me. It also bothers me because then there is no hard coy of what they actually said or promised.

I'm sure there are abuses of the ADA, but all in all, I'm a big advocate for accessibility in my little corner of my industry.

I've never heard of a Web developer being sued if they at least tried to make a site accessible. If the developer does nothing except declare the language, use clear and descriptive ALT tags, provide both voice and email contact options, properly label their form tags, and close-caption their videos, their site will be in the top five percent accessibility-wise.

Rich

I wish I could like (or love) that post multiple times.
I have severe hearing difficulties on the phone. I often email a business and explain that, but they still call me back, or respond with an email that asks me to call them. If I wanted to, or could call, I would have done that in the first place.

It is actually not so bad now that my new hearing aids connect directly to my iphone, so I can actually do pretty well on the phone, but I still bothers me. It also bothers me because then there is no hard coy of what they actually said or promised.

I hate the phone in general, and have thought about using TDD/TTY, ever since one of my deaf employees showed me his Sidekick phone (and I later got one for myself). He had an app that connected him via text to an operator, who placed the phonecall on his behalf and stayed as a relay for the entire conversation. I haven't looked into it further for myself, since my hearing is fine and that seems like abuse of the system, but in the case you describe, it seems like a reasonable thing to look into?

Back