Actual weights, favor please

CharlieD3

En-Route
Display Name

Display name:
CharlieD3
Has anyone actually weighed their plane for w&b, and can tell me the weight at the nosewheel...

Please list aircraft and weight if you have.

Why do you ask?
Had a friend who tried to make a "dolly" to tow behind his garden tractor with a lazy Susan (so as not to over turn the nosewheel) he under engineered the whole affair, and it's back to the drawing board for him... Plus it's on grass, so....

You need to say what type of plane to get anything useful out of the question. The nose wheel weight of a 737 is going to be much different than that of a 172 or that of an ultralight. Why not just put a scale under your friends nose wheel and actually measure it?

You need to say what type of plane to get anything useful out of the question. The nose wheel weight of a 737 is going to be much different than that of a 172 or that of an ultralight. Why not just put a scale under your friends nose wheel and actually measure it?
Obviously, we ain't towing a max jet with a garden tractor. I think most here are GA pilots.

The reason I want a multiple of different ac is that there are more than his plane at our grass strip... Others could use it as well.

If you don't want to share what info you have, fine... Why do I have to justify the query? I ain't asking for your weight, or especially your wife's weight...

Here's a few from old weigh records: PA-28R-180 409, P35 Bonanza 448, RV7A 321, PA46-310P 634, T210N 851 ... note these are empty weights, only unusable fuel on board. Weights will be a decent amount higher with full fuel etc. For example my T210L weighed in at 1008 lbs on the nose with full fuel.

Last edited:
Here's a few from old weigh records: PA-28R-180 409, P35 Bonanza 448, RV7A 321, PA46-310P 634, T210N 851 ... note these are empty weights, only unusable fuel on board. Weights will be a decent amount higher with full fuel etc. For example my T210L weighed in at 1008 lbs on the nose with full fuel.
Sincere thanks for that!

Empty weights are perfect! I'm sure some folks park in their hangars with full fuel... So the 210 wt. was also interesting! Thanks again.. it tells me that the local Cessnas will weigh less than the 210...

From https://www.funplacestofly.com/article.asp?ID=9 for a typical 172K:

The left main was 629 pounds. The arm is 58 inches according to the aircraft records, which is the distance between the datum reference point and the main wheels. The nose wheel was 435 pounds and the arm is minus 7 which is critical because the datum is the firewall, so the nose wheel is in front of the firewall which makes it a minus number. The main gear makes the arm a positive number. We subtract 228 pounds for the 38 gallons of usable fuel. The final weight of the aircraft is now shown as 1,464 pounds and the center of gravity is 40.24 inches. The useful load of the aircraft is 836 pounds.

Now, that airplane was weighed with full fuel, since weighing it empty (actually, with unusable fuel, as per the regulations) is a pain. The tanks have to be drained. So they fill it, do the weighing, and then subtract the known fuel weight and arm (from POH) and get the empty W&B. The fuel is a little ahead of the mains, so the nose would be lighter without it. 400 pounds, maybe.

You could ask some local owners if you could see their weight and balance reports from their logs or aircraft files. The weights for each main and the nose/tailwheel will be there.

My W&B has been updated so many times since I owned the plane by my AP and avionic shop all done with just math. I don't trust it. I have 2 scales so far and just need a 3rd one for the main and I want to do it myself for real.

Years ago I worked at a scale shop full of scales I could have used, but didn't have a plane then.

My NA 210L weighed 934 on the nose wheel with full fuel

Generally most Pipers have more weight on the nose wheel than Cessnas.

At least with SE.

IF the aircraft is not leveled correctly and the weigh stations are not properly measured

the result is worthless.

Cessna has good instructions in the W&B for your aircraft.

Obviously, we ain't towing a max jet with a garden tractor. I think most here are GA pilots.

The reason I want a multiple of different ac is that there are more than his plane at our grass strip... Others could use it as well.

If you don't want to share what info you have, fine... Why do I have to justify the query? I ain't asking for your weight, or especially your wife's weight...
Well if I am going to take the time to pull out my w&b sheets and look it up I think asking why you can’t just measure your own plane and why you want to know mine are both legitimate questions. Since your reply to a simple question comes with an ******* response I guess I just won’t bother. Good luck.

Well if I am going to take the time to pull out my w&b sheets and look it up I think asking why you can’t just measure your own plane and why you want to know mine are both legitimate questions. Since your reply to a simple question comes with an ******* response I guess I just won’t bother. Good luck.
I've gotten what I wanted... But thanks just the same... I ain't at the airport now, or I woulda looked through w&bs...

Lotta folk have a lot of their data on their laptops... So it's only a few clicks away... You don't, and neither do I. I guess we're a couple of Luddites... And me being the curmudgeonly one with snarky responses...

Have a great day... It's rainy and drizzling here.

Back