Action Cameras' Go-Pro or Garmin?

6t6

Pre-takeoff checklist
Display Name

Display name:
North Bound
I know Garmin Virb will Bluetooth to a some Garmin audio panels but what about GoPro? GoPro seems to be the industry leader. How does one record audio without the Bluetooth? What a accessories should I looking for aviation use. Any advise or comments would be appreciated before I pull the trigger.

For the best quality, I prefer a simple wired connection to a dedicated audio recorder. It's more work but much better quality.
If convenience and simplicity are the main goal, use either Bluetooth of one of the dedicated cables offered for specific cameras.

In terms of picture quality, the latest models of both companies are all plenty good.

- Martin

A common quick/dirty/cheap way to record audio is to take a cheap lavaliere mic and put inside your headphone cup. That would then plug into your gopro with an adapter if necessary or into your cellphone or a dedicated audio recorder.

The Garmin VIRB XE has a cable, which also allows me to connect an audio input, and my battery bank that extends the video time. I’m now limited only by the data card space.

As far as audio, the XE provides clear and crisp sound, I’ve had no issues. Ok, if you don’t count forgetting to plug it in. :rolleyes:

Last edited:
I have a GoPro. You need a neutral density filter (prop filter) or watching the videos will make you want to erp. (according to my granddaughter). The battery is good for about 1 hour.
I have an Insta360 One X which is really cool, but the battery is only good for about 45 minutes. Also, while they claim the app runs on Android, I was never able to install it on any of my 9 Android devices. Be ready to go buy some Apple gear in order to operate the camera. Another "failure": you can't connect an external microphone to it. The "GPS Remote" is a pretty useful gadget for operating the camera while flying. Straps on your wrist like a watch. But it wont work unless, you got it, you have some Apple gear to install it with. I use an iPad Mini 5. Again, the video quality is great, and the 360 degree stuff is fun.

Don't know about the Garmin but the the image stabilization on the GoPro Hero 7 is pretty near as good as a gimbal.

I agree with Martin on the audio quality. I've got a gopro knockoff from Amazon that has a mic input and I've got a cable that allows me to connect the aircrafts headset jack directly to the mic input on the camera. However, I've noticed that the audio quality is hit or miss and even will improve or degrade on the same flight. I also have a separate audio recorder and every time I've used it the audio is clear, crisp, and easy to hear. This does add the dynamic of having to stitch everything together. So far I've had good luck with Davinci Resolve to combine video and audio files.

I have a GoPro. You need a neutral density filter (prop filter) or watching the videos will make you want to erp.

Pretty sure this is the case with any camera facing forward and capturing the prop arc in it. My daughter got upset when she saw how clear my videos were but then couldn't do the same with her iPhone as it didn't have an ND filter on it.

I don't think Garmin has released one in a long time. My DJI is definitely a lot less buggy and the battery life is better. They both have their plusses and minuses

Pretty sure this is the case with any camera facing forward and capturing the prop arc in it. My daughter got upset when she saw how clear my videos were but then couldn't do the same with her iPhone as it didn't have an ND filter on it.

Interestingly, enough. With the Insta360 One X mounted in the cockpit, the "shimmy" in the video is no where near as bad as the GoPro, and there is no neutral density filter for the One X.
I just used the camera for the first time, yesterday. As soon as I figure out how to edit it, I will post a short clip so you can see it.
I'm impressed with the picture quality, and seriously underwhelmed by the inability to add other audio.

If you’re going to try for a professional look, I would get more than just 1, allowing you to have different views.
1. Inside behind right shoulder with view of instruments.
2. Outside view.

But the secondary camera(s) can be cheaper knockoffs.

Tom

I just bought two cheap cameras, first an Akaso EK7000 for $49, I liked it enough that I bought another, but the next model up, the EK7000 Pro which adds image stabilization and a touch screen for $69. Image quality is equal to my gopro session camera. The Android app works a LOT better than the go pro app. No audio in though, if I need that I have an old mp3 player I can use for that. I doubt I'll ever buy another gopro brand again.

This is the $49 one:

I have a GoPro. You need a neutral density filter (prop filter) or watching the videos will make you want to erp. (according to my granddaughter). The battery is good for about 1 hour.
I have an Insta360 One X which is really cool, but the battery is only good for about 45 minutes. Also, while they claim the app runs on Android, I was never able to install it on any of my 9 Android devices. Be ready to go buy some Apple gear in order to operate the camera. Another "failure": you can't connect an external microphone to it. The "GPS Remote" is a pretty useful gadget for operating the camera while flying. Straps on your wrist like a watch. But it wont work unless, you got it, you have some Apple gear to install it with. I use an iPad Mini 5. Again, the video quality is great, and the 360 degree stuff is fun.
How do you fasten all that stuff to the struts of the Cub, since it won’t fit in the airplane? ;)

:yeahthat: I use ram mounts, and the GoPro and the Insta360 will fit in the Cub. I hang them from the use the overhead braces.
I can also mount them on the struts. I used silicone seal on the Ram mount screws, turned them in and out a couple times and let it dry overnight.
It makes it a little stiffer to turn, but vibrations won't cause them to loosen up. :cheers:

You need a neutral density filter (prop filter) or watching the videos will make you want to erp.
The magnitude of propeller artifacts has changed a lot since the days of the early GoPros. My newest ones, the Hero8, still show the prop, but nowhere near as bad as the older models. I mention that because ND filters are not without problems either: they slow the shutter, meaning that movement of the airplane and (worse) vibration makes for a blurry image. With the Hero8 I don't even use an ND filter anymore.

- Martin

It really depends on what your standards for image quality are. GoPro right now is pretty much the best image quality in a camera that size, although I still feel it leaves a lot to be desired, but I have had success pulling just about enough dynamic range out of it with the right settings. For some, the cheaper knock offs are totally fine. I WOULD recommend a camera with good image stabilization as it can make a huge difference in the image quality due to vibrations. You will see some videos that have the jello effect due to no stabilization and a CMOS sensor.... The GoPro 7 and 8 are both very good for this and so is the DJI Osmo Action camera. Either of those 2 are very good. The 7 and 8 have near identical image quality and the stabilization difference for what we do is no factor. I wouldnt buy a Garmin camera unless it offers audio over bluetooth and you are really against recording separately.. I record to an old iPhone or iPad mini either by using this cable:

The cable works great and I use the Voice Memos app and it automatically syncs with my computer at home so the file is magically there when I get home and I can start using it.

I also record audio by connecting my PMA450B audio panel via bluetooth, but realize this is not an option if you dont have that panel.

GoPro with Nflight audio cable
AND ALWAYS A SECOND AUDIO SOURCE!!!

ask any YouTuber about a flight where they landed and realized the audio didn't record.

I forgot to link the cable I use- it has a little dial on it for input volume. Works well with the ipHone. I also use the Lightspeed Flightlink app to record bluetooth audio but it has a major bug that deletes the recording when you try to share it. I was really bummed out losing a whole flight when shooting a review of my trutrak autopilot. doing it over was not really fun. I have since found a workaround for the bug....

here is that cable:
https://amzn.to/3dRapZ8

Back