Ack E04 electrical

av8tr

Filing Flight Plan
Display Name

Display name:
Jurgen
Finally decide to upgrade my elt, we have an old Narco elt 10 and no one will touch it anymore.
Decided to go with the ACK E04, however I do have some question wrt to the wiring of the mini DIN connector. I've read some posts on the installation and from what I can see the DIN wiring is only required if your connecting it to a GPS source, just wondering if this is true as it has one line for the 14 V aircraft power, and I dont understand why unless its to supply power to the ELT if the battery dies.

Thnx ,
Jurgen

Send them an email or call and ask?

The installation manual isn't very clear.

Finally decide to upgrade my elt, we have an old Narco elt 10 and no one will touch it anymore.
Decided to go with the ACK E04, however I do have some question wrt to the wiring of the mini DIN connector. I've read some posts on the installation and from what I can see the DIN wiring is only required if your connecting it to a GPS source, just wondering if this is true as it has one line for the 14 V aircraft power, and I dont understand why unless its to supply power to the ELT if the battery dies.

Thnx ,
Jurgen

That wiring is only to supply gps info to the ELT.

If you don't have a GPS to provide position data, just leave it unconnected.

As others have written, the DIN connector is only needed for the GPS connection. You will still need to connect the wire with the telephone type connector (RJ11?) to wire running first to an inline annunciator that you will install behind the instrument panel and then to a pilot-accessible remote switch that you will install in or below the panel. ACK provides a wire with a female RJ11 connector for that purpose. If you plan to use an existing wire with its own RJ11 connector for that purpose, you will need a Female to Female union connector, but it can't be a standard phone connector used to extend a phone line. You need one with the conductors crossed.

As others have written, the DIN connector is only needed for the GPS connection. You will still need to connect the wire with the telephone type connector (RJ11?) to wire running first to an inline annunciator that you will install behind the instrument panel and then to a pilot-accessible remote switch that you will install in or below the panel. ACK provides a wire with a female RJ11 connector for that purpose. If you plan to use an existing wire with its own RJ11 connector for that purpose, you will need a Female to Female union connector, but it can't be a standard phone connector used to extend a phone line. You need one with the conductors crossed.

Thanx for the help, however it would still be nice to know why they're running 14 volts to the ELT, I understand the TX signal from the GPS to the ELT for postional data by again why 14v. The GPS would be powered from the aircraft bus, would it not. BTW I intend to run the wires upfront anyways since I have to remove the interior panels anyways to run the telephone cable, I am installing a G5 which does have built in GPS however I was told by Garmin that I can not use the signal from the G5 to provide data to the ELT.

Thanx for the help, however it would still be nice to know why they're running 14 volts to the ELT, I understand the TX signal from the GPS to the ELT for postional data by again why 14v. The GPS would be powered from the aircraft bus, would it not. BTW I intend to run the wires upfront anyways since I have to remove the interior panels anyways to run the telephone cable, I am installing a G5 which does have built in GPS however I was told by Garmin that I can not use the signal from the G5 to provide data to the ELT.

My assumption would be that any voltage would drive the recording and timing device that encodes the position information for the 406 to send. You would not want extra and ongoing draw from ELT's battery.

My assumption would be that any voltage would drive the recording and timing device that encodes the position information for the 406 to send. You would not want extra and ongoing draw from ELT's battery.

My guess (and it is a guess) is that the 12/24V power from the plane to the ELT is needed to drive the RS232 circuitry that is continuously communicating with the GPS. Every other function is limited to the brief period when the ELT is being tested or it is activated in an impact. Those power needs are not long term and are predictable. The battery is sized to support them. But communication with the GPS requires power whenever the airplane is in operation. So even though the draw is small the time can be large enough to drain even a large battery. And the ELT designer doesn't know if the plane will be flown 10 hrs per year of 500 hours per year. So rather than overdesign the battery for the highest possible draw, the unit powers the continuous load from an external source.

Back