Accelerated instrument training

FlyBoyAndy

Pre-takeoff checklist
Display Name

Display name:
FlyBoyAndy
For those of you that went through an accelerated instrument training, what was it that you needed to know prior to taking the training. I'm currently with with a CFII, and I am contemplating go to an accelerated program.

I'm asking this because I have a friend that is currently in a program that he started at the end of last week, and going through this week. Some of the things that he has been telling me make me believe that you can't go to one of those programs without a good amount of knowledge.

I'd like to get some feedback from those that have taken an accelerated program.

Most require a passed written and 10 hours of instrument training logged. I did one for my IFR, and I suspect your friend is experiencing the effect of the instructor moving him to new things without declaring victory on the prior one. I learned a massive amount during the time mine took and never felt like I had mastered anything. During my PP, we would say, you've mastered this, let's move on to that. That never happened in the accelerated. We just kept doing new stuff.

Sounds like exactly what he's experiencing. I told him to hang in there.

I did an accelerated IFR with the “AFIT” company, the quality of instruction will vary depending on which specific instructor you get (basically the region you are in), but in the end I passed my checkride and got my IR ticket, so it all worked out fine.

tldr: You will be overwhelmed, so do as much ground study as possible to prepare, have the basics down already to make the most use of your accelerated time.

This works out way better if you are an owner and are going to get your IR in the plane you will be flying. I don’t see how you would do this as a renter, unless you went to a place that can also rent you a IR capable plane for a solid 10 days or whatever it takes.

What you need before you start:
- have your written test done already. Use existing CFII to go over any missed questions. Have all your “ground studying” done so you are not wasting the Accelerated instructor’s time (this should be focused on Flight time).
- likewise for the plane make sure it’s 100% ready for heavy training. I had a landing gear problem with my plane which delayed my training. Make sure you know how to work the avionics, autopilot, GPS, VOR, etc. your transponder and pitot-static checks are done, etc.

- have some lessons “under the hood” already, so you are not going-in unaware. You should be able to do basic things like maintain steady flight under the hood, again just as a base starting level, so you are not wasting the Accelerated course’s time on basic level flying.
likewise spend some time on the ground knowing how to work the radios, ILS, VOR, set autopilot and program GPS, etc.

the best thing I got out of the accelerated course was my instructor and I went out flying cross-countries in actual IMC / light rain for many of the days. There’s “nothing like the real thing” and getting that variety of experience at different airports and different weather conditions I think was highly valuable.

I also recommend the accelerated courses becuse several other pilots I know have been “working on getting IR” for 3+ years now and are still not close to finishing. Just “get it done”.

I did american flyers 10 day course. All that was required was the completion of the written. I knew nothing of instrument flying other than the time required in the private.

It was long days, sim and class work till lunch, flying and debrief after lunch and a few hours studying and home work. 10 to 12 hour days. It was not fun but I made it so anyone can.

Most *require* written complete. If you’re a BasicMed flyer, check to make sure the operation is good with that. We have a local part 141 outfit that requires a Class III or better with no waiverability.

I did an accelerated course through an independent CFII, and I'm very happy I did. I went in with the written completed and 12 or 14 hours under the hood already. I think knowing the basics of the typical everyday IFR flying (alternate minimums, diverse departures, basic weather and fuel planning, how to operate your avionics) helped.

Over the course of 7 days we had _one_ day with completely VFR weather, and that was checkride day. After 4-6 hours of flying per day with the vast majority of that in actual IMC I don't think I could've ever gotten the level of training at the rate I was going with 1-2 lessons per week.

I did the PIC course. You want to get your written out of the way and fly off most of your non-instrument training XC requirements.
Otherwise, they don't expect you to have much.

I did an accelerated IFR with the “AFIT” company, the quality of instruction will vary depending on which specific instructor you get (basically the region you are in), but in the end I passed my checkride and got my IR ticket, so it all worked out fine.

tldr: You will be overwhelmed, so do as much ground study as possible to prepare, have the basics down already to make the most use of your accelerated time.

This works out way better if you are an owner and are going to get your IR in the plane you will be flying. I don’t see how you would do this as a renter, unless you went to a place that can also rent you a IR capable plane for a solid 10 days or whatever it takes.
We have our own plane, so that I understand. And it is equipped pretty good for IFR.

What you need before you start:
- have your written test done already. Use existing CFII to go over any missed questions. Have all your “ground studying” done so you are not wasting the Accelerated instructor’s time (this should be focused on Flight time).
- likewise for the plane make sure it’s 100% ready for heavy training. I had a landing gear problem with my plane which delayed my training. Make sure you know how to work the avionics, autopilot, GPS, VOR, etc. your transponder and pitot-static checks are done, etc.
Great points and I'll use these. My friend is a partner in the plane and he really knows the avionics, GPS, VOR and so on. I'm going to do the same. I will be able to work with him when he returns.

- have some lessons “under the hood” already, so you are not going-in unaware. You should be able to do basic things like maintain steady flight under the hood, again just as a base starting level, so you are not wasting the Accelerated course’s time on basic level flying.
likewise spend some time on the ground knowing how to work the radios, ILS, VOR, set autopilot and program GPS, etc.
Great points.

the best thing I got out of the accelerated course was my instructor and I went out flying cross-countries in actual IMC / light rain for many of the days. There’s “nothing like the real thing” and getting that variety of experience at different airports and different weather conditions I think was highly valuable.

I also recommend the accelerated courses becuse several other pilots I know have been “working on getting IR” for 3+ years now and are still not close to finishing. Just “get it done”.

At the end of the training you need the knowledge required to complete the knowledge all portions of the practical test.

OK, so let me throw a wrench in this. Let's say I know a DPE that still teaches. Can I hire him as an instructor to help me prepare for the oral, or to go over the ACS with me?

OK, so let me throw a wrench in this. Let's say I know a DPE that still teaches. Can I hire him as an instructor to help me prepare for the oral, or to go over the ACS with me?

Certainly. That DPE could provide flight training, too. If that's the DPE you would use for the checkride, then another CFII would have to provide the final endorsements, probably, as a minimum, starting at the 3 hours of test-prep training within 60 days.

Back