Accelerated IFR courses in IL/MO area?

cowman

Final Approach
Display Name

Display name:
Cowman
I had about 5 hours of IFR training in Nov/Dec last year plus ground time. CFII got a new job and I haven't found anyone new yet.

I'd like to pick it up again and hopefully get it done before the end of Jul(BFR due) if possible. Still need to do my knowledge test as well.

I have my own plane which I'd prefer to use. I'll need to get it certified for IFR again which should only be a matter of ordering a new altimeter and having it install/rectified. It's current/legal for VFR now I just wasn't in any rush to fix it since I can't fly IFR anyway.

I'm based at KUIN, close to St Louis and not far from Chicago or Kansas City in airplane terms. I'd like to enroll in one of the courses where either they come to you or you go to them for a week and do nothing but train. Anyone know of a good school in my part of the country?

Heard good things about PIC to go to you however I think you will need at least 10 days and not a week. Get the written out of the way and make sure you have your 50 XC/PIC time in.

Based on what you are saying, I think I would contact PIC. I have read it is pretty intense, but once you finished you would be done and have the rating in hand. You would need to get the written done and your plane ready to go.

Check out Tom, maybe?

Far better than PIC (IMO).

Or,another option...talk to Jesse.

About 250nm is GATTS in Kansas. Think this is where I'll go to get away from home. Generally gets excellent reviews here.

I easily have more than 50 hours XC/PIC time so no problem there, the test worries me a bit more. Don't I need a sign off from an instructor or an FAA approved course or something along those lines to take the test?

Main reason I lean towards accelerated is what few CFIIs there are around my home airport seem to get pretty booked up and I want to go go go not take an hour here or there and then nothing for a week or two which is what usually ends up happening. If I have to fly to another airport to meet someone that means VFR days only unless they're willing to come get me. Of course, if a CFII actually wanted to they could certainly come out here and stay at my place for a week while we fly... but I'd expect not.

I easily have more than 50 hours XC/PIC time so no problem there, the test worries me a bit more. Don't I need a sign off from an instructor or an FAA approved course or something along those lines to take the test?

Main reason I lean towards accelerated is what few CFIIs there are around my home airport seem to get pretty booked up and I want to go go go not take an hour here or there and then nothing for a week or two which is what usually ends up happening. If I have to fly to another airport to meet someone that means VFR days only unless they're willing to come get me. Of course, if a CFII actually wanted to they could certainly come out here and stay at my place for a week while we fly... but I'd expect not.

I took the Kings school ground course and printed my endorsement when finished. Then bought a study prep app on the iPad and all went smooth. Took the written this am and there were no issues with the endorsement I have them cats testing center and an hour later I was out the door with test results in hand.

No experience with them yet (though going for my Commercial in ~3 weeks with them), but Livingston Aviation at KALO does accelerated IFR, too.

I recommend PIC if you can take the intensity. Don't expect to do anything else that week (despite the implication in some of their advertising), you will be putting in long days and several of the days have homework/reading to do.

Yes, get your written out of the way first. I actually took my written about four times (kept letting it expire). I did a regular ground school with the rather sucky (in my opinion) Jepp materials. I then several years later did the King's. After that I just brushed up with ol' Irwin Gleim. In my opinion Gleim has the best drill-and-kill material for the written.

Jesse would be a good choice. Nate did his IFR with him, so you can get a PIREP from Nate.

I also did PIC, and it is a firehose, but a very well structured one that works for many people. If you don't have your own aircraft, they have connections with many FBO's around the country and might be able to set up an attractive rental deal for the week. And if you go with PIC, do ask to budget for an additional day or two (11 or 12 days instead of the usual 10). This will permit allowances for a weather day or when something in the training isn't quite connecting and you need additional time. If you call them for more information, the one to talk to is Donn H. He was my connection and did an awesome job answering my questions and then getting me set up to do the training.

Jesse would be a good choice. Nate did his IFR with him, so you can get a PIREP from Nate.

I wouldn't hesitate to recommend @jesse to anyone. Thoroughly enjoyed it. He paced it at a pace that probably keeps up with PIC but he could tailor it to whatever you needed. I know he's super busy right now with his job, so can't tell ya how available he is, but he'd answer a PM, I'm sure.

I had one day when we were mostly flying in afternoon and nighttime where I had to deal with some work stuff from the hotel room. We knocked off the second flight after midnight the NEXT day, because the fatigue caught up with me and I just wasn't going to be alert enough.

I can't speak for aircraft availability, but I know he has access to them. I brought mine. :)

After having done it, I *don't* recommend late December in Nebraska haha. But we survived it. -10F isn't conducive to dawdling during pre-flight! Haha. Did manage to put a little over 7 hours of actual in the logbook that week. So the weather gods giveth and taketh.

Using the long XC to go see Tony and Leah for dinner in Wichita was a nice touch. If I could pick up Stearman Field and drop it in my backyard I'd never leave home. Ha. On that flight we ended up between layers at night with the moon peeking in from the side. He let me gawk at that for a few minutes and then the hood had to go back on. :) Gorgeous. Not something us bugsmashers see in person too often. Especially us bugsmashers from Colorado where IMC means ice or thunderstorms.

Stearman Field is one of the best little airports going!

Back