Accelerated Commerical SEL near San Diego

robertb

Pre-Flight
Display Name

Display name:
robertb
Howdy all,
I am looking to knock out my commercial SEL near San Diego. I have the hours/experience needed and written completed. Learning the maneuvers and fill in the gaps before a checkride is what I am seeking. Aside from Sheble, anyone have ideas for an efficient way to get this done? I have a 182 and can do the training in it or a rental plane, if needed. And, to make it even tougher, I would like to keep the checkride scheduled close to the end of training.

Any ideas, thoughts or feedback is appreciated!

Any CFI should be able to get you done pretty quick. The Commercial is not a long drawn out rating. 10 hours of flying can be sufficient if you meet the experience requirements and are just training on the maneuvers. I would say there's not really a need for a formal "accelerated" course.

Do you have a local CFI you use for other training and flight reviews and such? Are they not willing or able to do it?

Due to the recent problems with examiner availability across the country, I'd recommend you find a CFI, then find an examiner and schedule the checkride before you even start training. Then let the checkride date drive your schedule. It might not be quite as accelerated as you like, if for example the first checkride slot is in 2 or 3 months.

Howdy all,
I am looking to knock out my commercial SEL near San Diego. I have the hours/experience needed and written completed. Learning the maneuvers and fill in the gaps before a checkride is what I am seeking. Aside from Sheble, anyone have ideas for an efficient way to get this done? I have a 182 and can do the training in it or a rental plane, if needed. And, to make it even tougher, I would like to keep the checkride scheduled close to the end of training.

Any ideas, thoughts or feedback is appreciated!

Hey Robert! How about F70? Didn't you used to have a 172? Pretty sure we've flown together before many years ago. PM me if F70 works. We can get it done fairly quickly and the DPE here is not too tough to schedule.

Any CFI should be able to get you done pretty quick. The Commercial is not a long drawn out rating. 10 hours of flying can be sufficient if you meet the experience requirements and are just training on the maneuvers. I would say there's not really a need for a formal "accelerated" course.

Do you have a local CFI you use for other training and flight reviews and such? Are they not willing or able to do it?

Due to the recent problems with examiner availability across the country, I'd recommend you find a CFI, then find an examiner and schedule the checkride before you even start training. Then let the checkride date drive your schedule. It might not be quite as accelerated as you like, if for example the first checkride slot is in 2 or 3 months.

Understood. The CFIs I have worked with are pretty busy working at airlines nowadays. If they can give a little time, the lessons get spaced out and are subject to last minute scheduling issues. I have a good crew of CFIs for BFRs and such but don't have any who do a lot of full time instruction any more. I was hoping to get it knocked out a bit quicker as my work schedule can be challenging. I have been hearing of issues scheduling the DPEs around San Diego too with delays popping up and adding a month or two to the process.

Thank you for the thoughts Russ!

Hey Robert! How about F70? Didn't you used to have a 172? Pretty sure we've flown together before many years ago. PM me if F70 works. We can get it done fairly quickly and the DPE here is not too tough to schedule.

Hello Howard! Yep. We know each other. I'll be reaching out to you.

Sounds like you're all set. I would otherwise recommend Plus One, part 61 but many great CFIs, several of whom have accelerated programs

Cheers and good luck!

Back