Accelerated CFI training

Trcpilot

Pre-Flight
Display Name

Display name:
Cjayfly1
Which school did you attend for accelerated cfi training?

Looking for information on personal experiences, pros and cons of accelerated cfi training?
How much studying did you complete before training?
Were you successful within 10-14 days in the accelerated course?
Dpe availability for accelerated course?

My $.02

I did mine at Livinginston Aviation back when a complex airplane was a requirement. They were able to schedule a date with both airplane and DPE availability as well as provide the spin endorsement. Count me as a very satisfied customer. It's been a number of years since I was there, but if the same folks are there, you'll be in good hands. I had to schedule four months in advance.

My advice is to be basically checkride ready before you arrive. By that I mean have plenty of right seat experience with practice teaching and all your studying complete. You'll get a chance to teach lessons to rotating cast of corporate pilots (CFIs themselves) who are waiting for their passengers, at least I did. I also taught some lessons to real live commercial and private students there, under supervision of course.

Livingston Aviation CFI course

I don't care what naysayers will say, get the The Backseat Pilot lesson plans. Don't recreate the wheel. Use their lesson plans as a study guide.

The Backseat Pilot

Which school did you attend for accelerated cfi training?

Looking for information on personal experiences, pros and cons of accelerated cfi training?
How much studying did you complete before training?
Were you successful within 10-14 days in the accelerated course?
Dpe availability for accelerated course?
Yes, you will pass in 10-14 days, you don’t have to study squat in advance and there will be a DPE to pencil whip you through.

Yes, you will pass in 10-14 days, you don’t have to study squat in advance and there will be a DPE to pencil whip you through.

ah...speaking from first hand experience when you got your's. how nice.

ah...speaking from first hand experience when you got your's. how nice.
No, the CFI puppy mills started long after I got my CFI. Allowing DPEs to do the testing has been a blessing to those businesses.

Aviation definitely needs more pencil whipped CFIs

Back in 2000, I asked the local DPE what he recommended for me getting the CFI rating. He looked me in the eyes and said, "Do you really want to teach, or do you just want an add-on rating?"

It was a good question. I was in my 50s and told him I thought it would be a good retirement job. He sent me to a local CFI who had the reputation of students passing the checkride.

So, I would ask the OP the same question. Do you really want to teach? If that is your goal, avoid the quickie schools, because you will not have time to really learn and retain the knowledge and experience.

Back