AC 90-89C Task-based cards from EAA

MonkeyClaw

Pre-takeoff checklist
Display Name

Display name:
Timothy Miller
I was told that the EAA has task-based cards available to comply with the new Phase 1 flights, based on AC 90-89C. I haven't been able to find them on the EAA site. Does anyone have a link? Phase 1 flight testing on my gyro has just begun, and I'd like to look into using the task-based method.

Thanks!

Thanks. Does this required an update from the DAR?

i would ask your DAR if they can do it as a DAR can amend your OPLIMs if they have function code 33, otherwise you have to have the FSDO do it.

Also to be clear the new tasked based system in lieu of set hours is optional. IOW you can go the task based route or stick with the traditional 25/40 hour program. The new OPLIM wording leaves the choice of which Phase I route to go with the builder.

It kind of (no it actually) gripes me that there is a new FAA policy, but the only way to get the specifics is by purchasing a book from EAA.

How does that make sense to anyone?

Yeah you would have thought they would have updated the flight test chapter in the AC to give you a good template. I’ve got the EAA book and essentially that’s all it is. the test cards in it are similar to what others have produced and posted on various forums like VAF so there are avenues to roll your own but agree 100% you shouldn’t have to.

You know what will happen if the FAA prints Test Cards? Some FAA lawyer will decide they MUST BE FOLLOWED USING EVERY WORD PRINTED.

I’m extremely happy to pay EAA .01% of the cost of building a plane to get and use their manual rather than running some irrelevant test point just because the FAA words “demand it” in some FAA document.

The Law of unintended consequences looms large, just like the fiasco of stopping training in your own home built and the LODA farce.

I’m extremely happy to pay EAA .01% of the cost of building a plane to get and use their manual rather than running some irrelevant test point just because the FAA words “demand it” in some FAA document.
False dichotomy - I was happy to not pay the EAA for a test plan/test cards and do my own, with concurrence from my DAR. OTOH it's kind of strange that task-based testing from the EAA is acceptable to allow a reduction in test time, but similar products and training from any of three flight test engineering/test pilot schools in the US is not. That being said; regardless of requirements, I had more than 40 hours of both engineering and task-based testing to conduct in my first pass through phase I, but that's kind of beside the point.

ETA: Leaving this marked up but readable for continuity since I was way off the mark, see next post.

Nauga,
pressed to test

Last edited:
False dichotomy - I was happy to not pay the EAA for a test plan/test cards and do my own, with concurrence from my DAR. OTOH it's kind of strange that task-based testing from the EAA is acceptable to allow a reduction in test time, but similar products and training from any of three flight test engineering/test pilot schools in the US is not. That being said; regardless of requirements, I had more than 40 hours of both engineering and task-based testing to conduct in my first pass through phase I, but that's kind of beside the point.

Nauga,
pressed to test

The new wording doesn’t require you to use the EAA cards. All it says is you have to have a task based test plan if you want to go that route. The EAA cards are just convenient for some so they use that as an example for folks to use but you aren’t limited to the EAA cards and are free to roll your own. I think the reality is if you legitimately complete a comprehensive plan that you’d be hard pressed to do it under 25 hours, especially for first time builders. IMO where the task based program shines is if you you have a well established kit, like an RV, and would get the normal 40 hr fly off because of say a non-certified FI system, and could complete the tasks in well under 40 hrs it would keep you from having to burn holes in the sky simply to complete the required hours.

The new wording doesn’t require you to use the EAA cards.
Wow - I read the FAA deviation memo and *still* came away with the idea that it said to use the EAA plan o_O. Thanks for pointing out my error.

Nauga,
with a swing and a miss

Back