above ground pool advice?

Gerhardt

En-Route
Display Name

Display name:
Gerhardt
I'm contemplating setting up a 17'x48" above ground pool in the back yard. I've researched online and have the basics down, but I'd like to learn from others' mistakes instead of learning from my own. So, if you've done this, please chime in with any words of wisdom. Also...

1. metal frame vs ultra frame?

2. Intex advises not leveling the ground with sand. I don't need a lot of leveling done, maybe a couple of inches at most, but sand seems like it would be the easiest to work with. Soft top soil in bags would need compressed and I don't have a good way to do that and still level it out. I do know that I want it perfectly level.

3. do I need to do anything special to avoid stress or tears in the liner?

Drainage tends to be problematic with above ground pools. Sometimes, pools just have to be drained to clean the scum and algae, which is very difficult to accomplish without a bottom drain. Make sure there is one point in your pool that has positive drainage so you can sump it dry when you need to.

2. Intex advises not leveling the ground with sand. I don't need a lot of leveling done, maybe a couple of inches at most, but sand seems like it would be the easiest to work with. Soft top soil in bags would need compressed and I don't have a good way to do that and still level it out. I do know that I want it perfectly level.

Soil can be compressed by using small lifts and wetting thoroughly...

Sand is hard and abrasive which is why they say don't use it. Buy the cheapest one so when it collapses in the middle of drunken revelry nobody gets upset (they're usually easy to set back up as well).

Drainage tends to be problematic with above ground pools. Sometimes, pools just have to be drained to clean the scum and algae, which is very difficult to accomplish without a bottom drain. Make sure there is one point in your pool that has positive drainage so you can sump it dry when you need to.

Yep, that. Cyanuric acid will build up in the water over time, and the only acceptable solution is to drain and refill. (We've tried all the so-called chemical solutions. None work -- although one did turn our pool a lovely emerald green.)

Your best solution: A cheap submersible sump pump can be purchased for $50 bucks. Run the hose over the side, and aim it toward the neighbor who ticked you off last winter. :D

Had one for 12 years -- came with the house, so it wasn't my choice. Based on that experience, I'll never have one again -- maintenance nightmare.

Hi Gary,
I put one in at my house up in Chicago.
They only have a 1/4" tolerance for level, so make sure you get it LEVEL.
Mine was metal braces and side wall.
Around the inner edge, it needed a cove of sand so the liner wouldn't catch on it. We put down I think 2" of sand for the bottom total, so it would be "soft".
As Ron L said, I would never have another one. They are a ROYAL pain on maintenance.
Make sure you check your PH and Chlorine level EVERY day, or it WILL go green on you so fast your head will spin.

Also; be sure to check with your insurance carrier prior to buying a pool...

Depending on your neighborhood you may be in for a nasty surprise.:mad2:

Chris

P.S.
What Threefingeredjack said...:nono:

Had one for 12 years -- came with the house, so it wasn't my choice. Based on that experience, I'll never have one again -- maintenance nightmare.

I had an in ground pool for 12 years and it was a maintenance nightmare (there was an oak tree hanging over it, that contributed).

Hi Gary,
I put one in at my house up in Chicago.
They only have a 1/4" tolerance for level, so make sure you get it LEVEL.
Mine was metal braces and side wall.
Around the inner edge, it needed a cove of sand so the liner wouldn't catch on it. We put down I think 2" of sand for the bottom total, so it would be "soft".
As Ron L said, I would never have another one. They are a ROYAL pain on maintenance.
Make sure you check your PH and Chlorine level EVERY day, or it WILL go green on you so fast your head will spin.

Hey, it's good to hear from you. How are things going? Life as a granddad is treating you well I'm sure.

I have an in ground pool.

My advice, get a friend / neighbor with a pool.

It's funny how many pools there are in Florida where the only person that gets in them is the pool cleaning dude.

We had a 14' x 48" at our old house, the kind with the metal sides. We set it up on the HUGE level concrete patio. Ummm... don't. After two years the patio was no longer level; the weight of the pool gave it enough of a slope that the pool started to roll. Bottom of the downhill side started curling under. It took a lot of maintenance, but the kids loved it and so did we. I'd never do one again, but then all five of my kids are grown and on their own, too. When they were all grade school and middle school age, it was great.

I think we used topsoil between the liner and the concrete, with sand around the edge. Worked out OK while it lasted. I think we got 3 years out of it, it may possibly have been more though. That was a while back.

That was one of my dad's favorite lines, "If you want a pool, build it in the neighbor's yard!":mad2:

My dad called his pool "a hole in the ground to throw money into" and he called his boat "a hole in the water...". I guess that makes my airplane "a hole in the air" to throw money in?

I found a few pics on google that may give you some better ideas:

Attachments

• pool2.jpg
    pool2.jpg
    62.9 KB · Views: 29
  • pool1.jpg
    pool1.jpg
    89.3 KB · Views: 24
Well I've put in one in-ground pool and resurfaced the pool and deck area of another. All told I've spent around 30K on pool related expenses. I'd like to differ from the above opinions. It's the best money I've spent 'bang for buck' wise.

The kids LOVE it. They play in it all the time, at least 3 times a week. Plus it adds to the house. If you spen 20K on a pool the value of the house is going up by at least 15K. It's a no brainer to me.

As far as maintenance, well, I have little problem. I vacume and clean the filter once a week. I take a pool sample in once every other week. Very seldom does the water start to go green but it gives you a day or two notice if it does and that's more than enough time to get on top of it.

Back in '04 we had the power go out for two or three weeks after a hurricane. The pool turned into a swamp...but we got it back. Filter and treat with chemicals after the power came on and in a week it was back to normal.

Great benifit, ads value, kids love it, little work. That's my experience.

The good thing with an above-ground pool with kids is that after they are through with the pool thing, you haven't lost much. I just have a 12ft metal-frame Intex under the deck, enough for the short people to splash around in and very minimal maintenance expense (couple of filter cartridges per season a few of the pills for the floating skimmer thing).

While an in-ground pool may increase the value of your home, it also eliminates many buyers who just dont want the hassle and expense that come with one.

You can drain an above ground pool with a garden hose ...siphon the water out. Been in my house over 25 yrs, always had a pool...I sunk it 3 ft in ground an built a deck around it...Little maintenance and have never had to drain it.

My dad called his pool "a hole in the ground to throw money into" and he called his boat "a hole in the water...". I guess that makes my airplane "a hole in the air" to throw money in?

It's a large movable fan into which you throw handfuls of money - to watch it blow away.

Dave

Had one for a while. It was a welcome addition for the Florida heat. As mentioned, they go green fast if you do not keep on top of the Cl2 but that is not hard. Cleaning the green out is a major PITA if you do not stay on top of it. I leveled with sand then put down 30# roofing felt and trimmed it around the pool to try and keep the grass from growing through.

Having pools for years.. one word, SALT.

Cheaper, cleaner, easier to manage. 40K gallons and maybe $50 a year in salt and another $30-40 in acid. Everyone loves it, no CL smell, soft water, super clear, etc.

Probably a $500 add for the cell to any modern controller.

Having pools for years.. one word, SALT.

Cheaper, cleaner, easier to manage. 40K gallons and maybe $50 a year in salt and another $30-40 in acid. Everyone loves it, no CL smell, soft water, super clear, etc.

Probably a $500 add for the cell to any modern controller.

And you can keep prettier fish in it. :D

Don't do it, thats my only advice. I had one, it was a nightmare.

If you must have a pool, pay the full price and put in an inground.
Still a nightmare, but at least it balances out when you sell the house.

How can an above ground pool be a nightmare? One fun IED tossed into it and off to the dumpster it goes, a rake and sod and you're right as rain in a few weeks.

The house we moved into when I was 13 had an above-ground pool. This was in Maryland. We moved from Michigan. We'd never had a pool before. The former owners told us to drain it about half-way for winter. Well, we did that, and it got cold enough for the water to freeze. My brother and I thought we would play "hockey" on it. No, we didn't fall through the ice--but our moving around on top of the ice shifted the ice around enough to make holes in the pool liner. My parents said that was an expensive lesson to learn.

So if you get one, and you live where it freezes in wintertime, don't use it as a skating rink!

We have an in-ground pool and we love it. Kids are literally in it every day and my wife and I regularly enjoy drinks poolside on warm summer evenings.

Best piece of advice I can offer is to learn as much as you can about pool water chemistry and own your water maintenance. Do not blindly follow the recommendations of the pool store... their primary interest to make money. Invest in a good test kit, test daily, and be proactive in balancing your water. Once you understand, it's not really hard at all and you can control your costs by adding only what you really need.

Jim

A amazingly designed swimming pool is a desire to all. However once you have chosen to construct a pool, there are so many ideas that walk in arbitrarily.
I have got a 27' pool. It is important to keep the water clean and safe for all swimmers. You must test your chemical levels regularly, flush your filter, clean out the skimmer basket and vacuum.

Our Quality Products | Above Ground Pools

Last edited:
Join Mar 2013
Last post on this thread: 9 months ago

The detective in me tells me you're new here and catching up on old threads... Elementary my dear Watson!

Back