About to buy an airplane....but question on registration issue

redshift

Filing Flight Plan
Display Name

Display name:
Red Shift
Hi all,
I'm about to purchase an airplane and when doing a FAA search for the N Number of this particular aircraft, I noticed the following info in the records:

Type Reservation: Hold
Reserved Date: 5/15/2013
Renewal Date: None
Purge Date: 5/15/2018
Reserving Party Name: Cancelled/No Assigned

Then on the bottom of that it has a "Deregistered Aircraft" spec sheet for this plane and a "reasons for cancellation: Expiration".

What does all this mean (I'm pretty sure I know, but thought I'd get a confirmation here) and what do I need to do before I purchase this airplane?

Thank you.

Hi all,
I'm about to purchase an airplane and when doing a FAA search for the N Number of this particular aircraft, I noticed the following info in the records:

Then on the bottom of that it has a "Deregistered Aircraft" spec sheet for this plane and a "reasons for cancellation: Expiration".

What does all this mean (I'm pretty sure I know, but thought I'd get a confirmation here) and what do I need to do before I purchase this airplane?

Thank you.

The registration was allowed to expire by the owner. Shouldn't be a big deal to renew it.

Note: If the registration # on the aircraft was allowed to expire and the FAA reassigned it to another airplane, then it would be a PITA, because you would end up painting a different registration # on the airplane.

The registration was allowed to expire by the owner. Shouldn't be a big deal to renew it.
True, I guess, but if (s)he was too dumb, or too cheap, to maintain aircraft registration then what other multitude of things was (s)he too dumb, or too cheap, to properly maintain?

Maybe nothing, but this would be a huge red flag that caused me to look extremely closely at everything if I were considering buying.

Hi all,

Thank you.

Research by make / SN.

True, I guess, but if (s)he was too dumb, or too cheap, to maintain aircraft registration then what other multitude of things was (s)he too dumb, or too cheap, to properly maintain?

Maybe nothing, but this would be a huge red flag that caused me to look extremely closely at everything if I were considering buying.

Widdow that didn't know about it?

Are you planning to use a title company? They handle these problems as part of their service.

Widdow that didn't know about it?

Yes, bingo. Got a good deal on the plane, so I'm going to have to do some things to get it to pass annual.

So, how do I renew the number?

Are you planning to use a title company? They handle these problems as part of their service.

I just paid $75 to have a title company research the title for me. How do I get them to take care of the reg. number, too? I'm using Aero-Space Reports.

Unregistered aircraft == no test flight?

Call and talk to them. If the N number hasn't been reassigned (as appears to be the case) your registration of the plane solves the problem. They will normally confirm and help with questions.

I just paid $75 to have a title company research the title for me. How do I get them to take care of the reg. number, too? I'm using Aero-Space Reports.

Deregistered aircraft simply means the aircraft was exported and the last registered owner reported it to the FAA that way. and the "N" number was placed in a deregistered category.

see the report on my old F-24 (N19143) same thing.

if you buy that aircraft you must pass the import inspections which include an annual and records check, plus show bills of sale for each owner that has reported a sale to the FAA.

OR

The aircraft was wrecked and the insurance company declared it totaled. and sent the AWC and registration to the FAA. and they simply took it off the data base.

Last edited:
Deregistered aircraft simply means the aircraft was exported and the last registered owner reported it to the FAA that way. and the "N" number was placed in a deregistered category.

No so.... Up until a few years ago aircraft registration did NOT time out... But then the FAA decided they needed to confirm the currency of each plane and aircrat owners need to renew every few years... If you don't do that and pay the FAA their money your plane gets "deregistered" it does NOT have to be exported for it to be shown as deregistered......:no:

No so.... Up until a few years ago aircraft registration did NOT time out... But then the FAA decided they needed to confirm the currency of each plane and aircrat owners need to renew every few years... If you don't do that and pay the FAA their money your plane gets "deregistered" it does NOT have to be exported for it to be shown as deregistered......:no:

I believe that allowing it to expire takes a long time, and that length of time is longer than the period the policy has been in place.

Good point...

Let's not confuse unregistered aircraft from DEregistered aircraft.

an unregistered aircraft may be setting in a hangar waiting for some on to register it.

a deregistered aircraft has already been stricken from the data base. (it's gone) and it requires a lot of paper to bring it back.

Regardless I think I would have the registration of the aircraft listed as a requirement of the sale

Hi all,

Thank you.

Tom... The OP's question was as above......

According to the FAA's site a plane can get "deregistered" by just expiring.. Not by export or designated as destroyed...

How is that ?

Regardless I think I would have the registration of the aircraft listed as a requirement of the sale
I wouldn't. I'd make an offer as-is where-is. Once you make the transaction complicated you force the seller to educate him/herself about how the process works. That's the last thing you want in a case like this.

As an example, my pawnee was sitting in a rented hangar with an AD overdue when the owner was killed in his thrush. His nephew was tasked with cleaning the junk out of the hangar before the month's rent was due. I stretched a rope across the corner of the hangar that held the pawnee and offered $15K for everything behind the rope. Along with the plane there was an engine core that I later sold for $4500 and a set of booms that fetched $3900. After selling parts I put about $5K into the plane to get it up to my expectations, comply with AD's. and import it (from canada). Since then I've sprayed with it for the last 10 years trouble-free. The nephew didn't know squat about planes, he only saw that $400 hangar rent bill coming due the next month.

Expired registration has to be dealt with by the current owner I would think.

Also do a title search and look for liens.

So I got the results of my title search back and there is a "security agreement" encumbrance tied to the airplane from the local bank. Do I need to get that resolved?

So the registration expired in 5/13 and according to the company that did this title research, won't be available until 5/15/18! So, does that mean I need to pay to have a new number painted???

Just buy mine. It's all clear to go.

If somebody else reserved the number you can't use it. The security agreement must be resolved and removed from the record to obtain clear title. The presence of the agreement doesn't necessarily mean that an unpaid debt or other encumbrance must be paid by the owner, as it's not uncommon for banks or other lenders to fail to file the release with the FAA until they're reminded.

I sold an airplane after 19 years of ownership, the last 12 of which were after the purchase-money loan had been paid. I received the original mortgage marked "paid if full" but didn't check the FAA records to assure that the bank had notified the registry of the payoff. The buyer's escrow company reported the problem to me after performing the title check, and the bank immediately filed the proper release documents with the FAA. I've since learned that most owners don't verify that such a release has been filed, and encourage anybody who owns a plane to do so ASAP.

So I got the results of my title search back and there is a "security agreement" encumbrance tied to the airplane from the local bank. Do I need to get that resolved?

So the registration expired in 5/13 and according to the company that did this title research, won't be available until 5/15/18! So, does that mean I need to pay to have a new number painted???

It means they are holding the number until 5/2018 before recycling it.

It means they are holding the number until 5/2018 before recycling it.
yep. which is really frustrating for those of us who want to grab a certain number. When this came out i thought the numbers would be available immediately.

yep. which is really frustrating for those of us who want to grab a certain number. When this came out i thought the numbers would be available immediately.

I got lucky when I reserved N801BH for my Zenith 801..:yes::)..

If ya want a number bad enough you can throw ALOT of money at the currrent N number holder like Jeff Gordon did to get his N24JG.. All it took was 50 grand or so..;):redface:

THe title company got back to and said I can get the number back. It wasn't deregistered, but was canceled due to the registration expiring.

Back