About this time today 69 years ago

DavidWhite

Final Approach
Display Name

Display name:
DW
My Grandfather was walking around for one of the last times without bits of shrapnel in his legs. He was also a corporal, and in the events that will transpire tomorrow he will eventually get a battlefield commission after his entire company except for him and 2 other men is wiped out on Omaha beach. He will also be awarded the Silver Star and Purple Heart for his actions on D-Day.

Lets not forget the sacrifice that he made, and the ultimate sacrifice that others made, so we have the freedom to post on silly little things like Internet message boards for pilots. 69 years ago tomorrow is one of the most important days in the previous millennium, if not THE most important. Men will give their lives for what they know is good and righteous against the most evil power the world has ever known. Just so you and I can be free - I hope that is as humbling to other people as it is to me. Today my friends, I am especially proud to be an American.

David, that post was like a breath of fresh air.

I will keep your grandfather in mind, along with his service, and especially along with his character -- something which you, young man, obviously share.

-Rich

David

I am proud of you for having the character to recognize the importance of these events, on a personal level and in the broader context. At your age, it is respect and perspective not often seen.

David,

Thanks for posting that. Folks who lived through that era - and all our vets of any era that served in combat - deserve kudos for giving of themselves for our country. It truly was, in the words of President Kennedy, asking what they could do for their country, not what their country could do for them.

I know my dad considered it a great honor to be present on the Mighty Mo for the Japanese Surrender at the end of the war.... I can only imagine what an honor your grandfather feels receiving these awards.

Please make sure he knows that many of us respect him for his service, and send our thanks for giving so much for America.

Thank you for the reminder and incredible perspective.

I recognize and am aware of D-Day every year with crystal clarity. I feel incredibly indebted to those who fought in WWII and have always felt a closeness to those who took part in D-Day. I remember them every year on my birthday.

ge5a8esa.jpg

Whenever I think I'm having a bad day....

David, thanks for posting.

Well done, David. I knew you were mature when I met you.

My dad landed on Omaha Beach on D+1.

My mother-in-law landed on Omaha Beach on D+1, as well. Army nurse.

We took our kids there in 1992. Impressive. Go see Point du Hoc, and the US cemetery. If those don't make you think, nothing will.

Thanks for the reminder David of the importance of days like those so many years ago. Truly remarkable men and women like those who went headlong into battle deserve nothing short of everyone's recognition and respect!

You made my day better by reminding me of the historical events that went on around this time of year- thank you for that!

ge5a8esa.jpg

Whenever I think I'm having a bad day....

David, thanks for posting.

Photo credit:
A photo by CPHOM Robert F. Sargent, USCGR.
Troops of Company E, 16th Infantry, 1st Infantry Division disembark from a Coast Guard-manned LCVP from the USS Samuel Chase (APA-26) on the morning of 6 June 1944 at Omaha Beach. Coast Guard Photo No. 2343.

Back