Abandoned & Little-Known Airfields website

pfreeman

Filing Flight Plan
Display Name

Display name:
Paul Freeman
Do you ever wonder what happened to the old airport where you learned to fly? The "Abandoned & Little-Known Airfields" website, at www.airfields-freeman.com, is a free historical archive of pictures & description of 1,876 former airfields, in all 50 states & territories.

Meigs Field, Glendale Grand Central Air Terminal, Flushing Airport, and many others lavishly documented. Visit www.airfields-freeman.com to see them all!

Paul Freeman

Paul, your site is a treasure - I have burned up many an hour there, and value it highly.

Welcome to Pilots of America! Visit often, we can always use enthusiasm like yours here.

---

My office sits on top of one of your entries (Highland Park Field, Dallas).

Paul - I've always loved your site. Glad you've been able to keep it going.

The most important thing to keep it going is to send Paul a couple of $$ once in a while via his paypal link.bandwidth and server space for all those pictures and maps dont come free.

C.C.E.S. in New Mexico appears to have been developed by the Colorado Canyon Equid Sanctuary which is/was based in Colorado Springs. The Sanctuary's creator, William Gruenerwald, passed away in '09.

I've been enjoying that site for years and have even contributed a little material on one of the airports listed.

Big fan of that site!

I found that site at the beginning of my training. Loved reading about all the old airfields on Long Island and NYC

Neat site that I have used for years. Thanks Paul! It always makes me a little sad though.

I love that website!!!

I learned more about the airfields that used to be there in my home state of NJ and the NYC metro area, even though some or most airfields listed on that website in my area closed long before I was born.

It always makes me sad when an airfield closes down, and makes me want to keep those airfields open in some way.

Do you ever wonder what happened to the old airport where you learned to fly? The "Abandoned & Little-Known Airfields" website, at www.airfields-freeman.com, is a free historical archive of pictures & description of 1,876 former airfields, in all 50 states & territories.

Meigs Field, Glendale Grand Central Air Terminal, Flushing Airport, and many others lavishly documented. Visit www.airfields-freeman.com to see them all!

Paul Freeman

Love your site.

The airport I soloed at in 1963 is condos. The 3 closest fields are subdivisions.

A few years ago, after a close look at the aerial photos on that site, I drove through the subdivision that used to be McKinley Field in Fraser, MI, looking for traces of the airfield. I remember seeing the airport from the road, long before I learned how to fly, but it was gone nearly 20 years before I took my first lesson.

Great memories, wonderful site.

Your Website is a great place, and once I start down the rabbit hole I am usually there for a while.

Looks like we need to get Rialto airport L67 on there.

We lost that one a few months ago.

Might as well put Santa Monica on there too. It's just a matter of time before we lose that one.

Jamestown n.y. Muni. Airport used to be really busy. busy! Many furniture manufacturers ( 38) plus crescent tool company, automatic voting machine company, etc. etc. ALL this now gone overseas. Airport on govt. Life support. Few flights. The new airport manager always has big plans but its always "just you wait a while, I'll get her going!" type B.S.

Paul Freeman

First post...

Welcome to POA...

:cheers:..

Ps. Love your website...:yes:

Hey Paul! Good to see you on here! Your site is always a hit, and glad to contribute a few pics to your site. (Peewee from Oroville Ca.)

Love the site. I've contributed a couple of photos as well as money. Did I mention I love the site? :D

Jim R
Collierville, TN

N7155H--1946 Piper J-3 Cub
N3368K--1946 Globe GC-1B Swift
N4WJ--1994 Van's RV-4

After years of enjoying it, I finally threw a donation at Paul's site today; money well spent, methinks.

Looking at the two original airports that used to be here that no longer exist. Makes a grown man want to cry.

The Abandoned & Little-Known Airfields website, at http://www.airfields-freeman.com, recently had 2 milestones:
- it reached over 2 million visitors, and
- Barry Schiff's column in the April AOPA Pilot Magazine featured the website - see http://www.aopa.org/News-and-Video/All- ... /profpilot

The content on http://www.airfields-freeman.com has also continued to grow, now with a total of 1,920 former airfields covered, in all 50 states. Several hundred other entries have been updated with additional pictures & information.

So if you haven't visited http://www.airfields-freeman.com in a while, come back & see how much interesting aviation historical material has been added to the site.

Thanks!

Paul Freeman
http://www.airfields-freeman.com

Thanks to material submitted by readers, the historical content on www.airfields-freeman.com has continued to expand: In the past 3 months, a total of 35 additional airfields have been added to the website, bringing the site's total of airfields covered to 1,996, across all 50 states. Many of the existing writeups have been updated with new material, with a total of over 30,723 airfield pictures now on the site.

So if you haven't visited www.airfields-freeman.com in a while, come back & see how much interesting aviation historical material has been added to the site.

Thanks!

Paul Freeman
www.airfields-freeman.com

Great site. Thanks for maintaining it!

Welcome to POA ,you have a nice site,brings back fond memories to some of us old timers ,who remember some of those fields.

Great site. I've often enjoyed browsing old airfields. One in particular was Colts Neck N61 in NJ. I was at Ft Monmouth most of 1970 at the Army Signal Corp school there. One of the guys in my company was a pilot from Alaska. Flying with him out of Colts Neck nurtured my interest in flying and a couple years after getting out of the service I got my private license followed by other ratings.

Thanks for the site.

RT

Always enjoyed your site, Paul. I followed Roger's clue above about Colt's Neck, and continued reading on to the page about Red Bank airport in Eastern New Jersey. At the end, it mentioned that the Pour House on Shrewsbury Ave used to be the Airport Inn restaurant, on the field. GO FIGURE! Wow! I eat there often, when on business trips to my company's HQ. Fantastic little dive, with amazing food prepped fresh by the chef. Thanks for adding a little aviation flavor to one of my favorite food haunts in that area!

Enjoyed reading about Weiss field in Fenton, MO on your site. I live really close by, and it's amazing how you'd never know there was an airport there less than 20 years ago. IMO they need to open a new one down that way, I hate having to drive 30+ minutes to get to an airport.

Fun to browse ... I soloed at Arlington, TN (LHK) and everyone flying around NAS Memphis knew the "Wagon Wheel" as a checkpoint for arrival.

Enjoyed reading about Weiss field in Fenton, MO on your site. I live really close by, and it's amazing how you'd never know there was an airport there less than 20 years ago. IMO they need to open a new one down that way, I hate having to drive 30+ minutes to get to an airport.
I haven't heard anyone mention Weiss in a long time. I flew out of there for a short period back in 1981.

Thank you, Paul.

I had occasion to use the site today when I pulled up a map to see whether I could find an airport close enough to hoof it to the area outlined in red in the attached image.

The area around Kent Industrial Park jumped out at me as looking very like an airport.

And so it was ... Grand Rapids Municipal Airport / (Original) Kent County Airport
http://www.airfields-freeman.com/MI/Airfields_MI_SW.htm#kentco

Attachments

• alger heights.png
    alger heights.png
    263 KB · Views: 13
The historical content on www.airfields-freeman.com continues to grow. with two recent sources of a significant amount of historical pictures & information. In addition to other readers' contributions of material, two readers of the site, Kevin Walsh & David Stevenson, have recently contributed a treasure trove of material which has started to appear on the site & will continue to be added to the site over the coming month. I appreciate the flow of pictures & material from everyone else, as www.airfields-freeman.com is truly a collaborative project. The site's total of airfields covered now includes 2,068 airfields, across all 50 states.

If you haven't visited www.airfields-freeman.com in a while, take a look to see what's been added.

Paul Freeman

The only problem I have with your website is that I've flown into too many of those airports! And I'm not that old. Loved your site for a long time, forgive me, but my donation is on the way.

> "I've been enjoying that site for years and have even contributed a little material on one of the airports listed."

Me too.

Custer SD airport used to be a grass strip just south of town on (then Airport Rd) now called Sidney Park Road, north of Hazelrodt Cutoff Road. So far I've not found any pictures from that time, before the new airport was built further south of town.

In case he didn't see that, pinging @pfreeman : See @gkainz' note above. Wonder if adding a note on your site about Custer, SD, might find someone who has photos...

Greg, I've been into the newer Custer airport. I'd be curious to see what the old one looked like.

Back