ABANDON ALL HOPE!

Snowfall? What? I only got a light dusting today.

We got about a foot and a half here. Used the Snow blower to clean off about half of it yesterday. Came down pretty hard during the night now I have to get motivated to get back out there and finish the job. Our tertiary streets are already plowed. Eagles vs. Niners has been pushed back form 1pm to 4pm so they can clear the staduim. Giant hill next to us will be crammed with kids sledding today. Good stuff!

Here's what it looks like 'round my way:

Link to pictures

Looks like you and I are in the same ballpark. Estimating from my window (my crippled self would probably go rear-over-teakettle if I walked in the snow), I'd say were right around 15" here. Like I've said before, I expect the state to be paralyzed for the next 3 months.

Cheers,

-Andrew

Maybe 8" here. Township did a good job, the roads are clear. Time to crank up the tractor and plow - I do like plowing snow!

Maybe head up to the airport this afternoon and dig out the Cherokee.

Gary

Like I've said before, I expect the state to be paralyzed for the next 3 months.

Well, under the current budget, I don't know. They have -or had - a lot of good equipment that they use in the mountain areas (incl. some large highway snow blowers) - it's quite effective.

Back in the 94-96 timeframe we got a storm like this through the DC area and the roads, etc. were passable in 24-36 hours and fine within 2 days. They brought the equipment up from the mountains.

Our street is plowed, I see pavement in one place near the driveway, and fortunately I don't have to bust down a wall of packed snow and ice to get out. We'll see how it is at my parent's place later today.....

Earlier this year, Richmond picked up 8" on a Sunday night into early Monday AM. I had a business trip, so I left Monday afternoon. Our road hadn't been plowed at 24 hours.

I returned early Friday morning. When I returned, my street still had NOT been plowed. They just let it melt -- which didn't start until Thursday, when temps got above freezing.

Cheers,

-Andrew

Nineteen inches of undrifted snow in my front yard, with drifts above two feet.

My street is plowed and packed though, and I used my new snowblower to keep my (and my neighbors) driveways passable. Both the Subaru and the Miata do just fine (Miata has nice new Blizzaks).

So today my daughter and I will go searching for a good sledding hill where it's already packed.

Attachments

• IMG_2111.jpg
    IMG_2111.jpg
    393.3 KB · Views: 14
Earlier this year, Richmond picked up 8" on a Sunday night into early Monday AM. I had a business trip, so I left Monday afternoon. Our road hadn't been plowed at 24 hours.

I returned early Friday morning. When I returned, my street still had NOT been plowed. They just let it melt -- which didn't start until Thursday, when temps got above freezing.

They knew you were from Boston and know how to deal with it.... ;)

Side streets can be a problem, 'specially as you get further south. Up here, they've dealt with this one particularly well (the learned a bit of a lesson the first year the Springfield flyovers on the Beltway were open).

I'm assuming you're not on a private road. Some places - and my mountain property is one - roads are privately maintained by the HOAs.

Two hours of digging and I'm done. I am going to be sore as heck tomorrow.

I'm heading to the tub with a book and a glass of wine. I had toyed with the idea of going to the mall today - mmm, maybe not.

They knew you were from Boston and know how to deal with it.... ;)

Side streets can be a problem, 'specially as you get further south. Up here, they've dealt with this one particularly well (the learned a bit of a lesson the first year the Springfield flyovers on the Beltway were open).

I'm assuming you're not on a private road. Some places - and my mountain property is one - roads are privately maintained by the HOAs.

Private road, public maintenance. According to Jessie, who has talked with our neighbor, they still haven't plowed the numbered route that our development sits on. Just, wow.

Cheers,

-Andrew

Two hours of digging and I'm done. I am going to be sore as heck tomorrow.

I'm heading to the tub with a book and a glass of wine. I had toyed with the idea of going to the mall today - mmm, maybe not.

Private road, public maintenance. According to Jessie, who has talked with our neighbor, they still haven't plowed the numbered route that our development sits on. Just, wow.

I just got back from being a patriot.

Went shopping - it was a real pleasure except that a couple of the specialty stores I wanted to go to were closed. For once, the stores that were open were uncrowded, no wait to check out. Etc.

My road is clean, with some slush on the service road to the larger artery. A plow and salt truck just went by.... again... though there's not much to plow. Larger artery is mostly clear, though one lane disappears from time to time. Beltway is mostly clear, at least 3 lanes. Right lane disappears in places, expecially in the construction zones (all so some private company can reap toll money, but I digress). In a couple of places, there was a huge snow bank between the travel lanes and exit lanes - nasty if you realize you need to exit and you're at speed.

City streets in Alexandria, major streets mostly clear but metered parking spaces are snowbanks. Most lots have been partially or fully plowed. Everyone with a Bobcattm or front end loader is out. Side streets are packed snow, no problem for 4x4 or FWD.

I'm really impressed by how things are in Fairfax county today. Major roads (interstates, US 50, state highways) are clean, and the smaller roads are passable. It reminds me of my childhood in Connecticut and New Hampshire, though this would have been a "big" storm up there and not the "apocralypse" the way it is here.

And the Fed Gov't is closed tomorrow, which hopefully means I can go downtown early, get my work done without hassle, and come home for the rest of the week.

I have to hand it to the NYC Sanitation Department. Once again, they did a phenomenal job cleaning up the snow. And mind you, I live in Queens -- and in an out-of-the-way corner of Queens, at that.

Back in the old days, they would plow Manhattan, but pretty much ignored the "outer boroughs." For the last decade or so, however, the snow removal has been outstanding all over the city.

-Rich

I'm awake and not remotely as sore as I expected. Not bad. Maybe a soak and wine was good for it.

What cheese me last night though was that a guy with a bulldozer came by to move the piles homeowners made - you know, the ones digging out the mess that the plows made? You guessed it, he managed to collapse some of the pile next to my MB. I had it scraped clean behind that car. Bastid. I can take the BMW from the garage, but still.

Back in the old days, they would plow Manhattan, but pretty much ignored the "outer boroughs."

Wait, you mean you people who live out there think you count?! :D

Agreed. They generally do a good job in NYC. New Jersey, OTOH...

You know .. it's all a matter of perspective. We had lots of snow for a
couple weeks in Nebraska and it was colder than crap and windy. Just
a normal Nebraska winter.

Now fast forward to this week. I'm in Miami thru Christmas and it's been
cooler the last couple days .. down in the 60s. I saw in the Herald that
they opened the emergency shelters here because of the cold. Hahahahaha.

It's supposed to be in the low 80s Christmas day. That works.

;-)

PS: Oh ... Larry .. could you guys keep the snow cleaned out from in
front of my hangar so i can go flying when i get home?

Back