ABANDON ALL HOPE!

wsuffa

Touchdown! Greaser!
Display Name

Display name:
Bill S.
LEAVE YOUR HOMES AND DESKS NOW!

CLEAN OUT THE 7-11! EMPTY THE GROCERY SHELVES OF BREAD, MILK, AND TOILET PAPER! SEND THE CHILDREN TO HIGHER GROUND! THEN GET OFF THE ROADS!

Oh, yeah, it's gonna snow!

... Winter Storm Warning remains in effect from midnight tonight
to 6 am EST Sunday...

A Winter Storm Warning remains in effect from midnight tonight to
6 am EST Sunday.

* Precipitation type... snow.

* Accumulations... heavy snow with accumulations of 10 to 20
inches through Saturday night.

* Timing... snow will begin between 11 PM and 2 am tonight and
will continue through early Sunday morning. Snow will be
heaviest between 8 am and 6 PM Saturday.

* Temperatures... upper 20s to lower 30s through the event... low
to mid 30s in coastal southern Maryland.

* Winds... 10 to 20 mph through the event... with gusts of 25 to
30 mph Saturday and Sunday.

Precautionary/preparedness actions...

A Winter Storm Warning means significant amounts of snow are
expected or occurring. Strong winds are also possible. Conditions
will deteriorate very rapidly Saturday morning and will make
travel extremely treacherous.

Yeah, we had one of those this year. Yawn. The 24" we were supposed to get in 30 hours...turned out to be about 4"

It's pandemonium here in Richmond. 11-14 out on the west side where I am.

*yawn*

Cheers,

-Andrew

what are the snow removal capabilities out there?

The folks here in the DC 'burbs are the biggest bunch of snow-wussies I have ever seen. I'm looking forward to doing some winter driving on Sunday and going sledding with my daughter too.

I am tempted to buy a snow-blower, just to make the driveway easier.

CLEAN OUT THE 7-11! EMPTY THE GROCERY SHELVES OF BREAD, MILK, AND TOILET PAPER! SEND THE CHILDREN TO HIGHER GROUND! THEN GET OFF THE ROADS!

:rofl::rofl::rofl:

Lemme guess what's going to be on the 11 PM News tonight:

LIVE VIDEO of young reporter out in the snow, saying, "It's snowing heavily now." Sticks ruler in the snow for dramatic effect...

Trapper John

The folks around DC think anything more than a trace of snow is an emergency. The first winter storm I experienced after moving to the Maryland suburbs (from Honolulu) dropped 3 - 4 inches. I brushed off the car (Toyota Camry) and drove to work. Roads were fine and I got there in record time--saw only one other vehicle on my 25-mile commute. The office was empty and people were calling saying they wouldn't be coming in due to the weather. I don't know why the long-term residents thought it was a big deal when the new guy from Hawaii didn't think think twice about it.

We we did get 18" overnight in Madison last week. First snow day I ever got working here in WI.

The folks here in the DC 'burbs are the biggest bunch of snow-wussies I have ever seen. I'm looking forward to doing some winter driving on Sunday and going sledding with my daughter too.

I am tempted to buy a snow-blower, just to make the driveway easier.

Richmond is EVEN WORSE. I remember that while we were house hunting, 1/2" came down one morning. Didn't stick, melted when it hit the pavement. I drove by three tri-axle dumpers rigged with plows, blades down, sparks flying, and sand spraying everywhere. I couldn't believe what I was seeing.

Cheers,

-Andrew

The one big blizzard I witnessed living in D.C. was hysterical. There were only two plows, one providing parts for the second, which plowed the mayor's street and promptly broke down. Senators and Congresscritters wading through 3 foot high drifts. Of course, no one anywhere could drive worth a lick, even where it was plowed.

Yeah, we had one of those this year. Yawn. The 24" we were supposed to get in 30 hours...turned out to be about 4"

Ed, I didn't know you played sax? Kewl :)

I am in Des Moines, plenty of snow here... Tomorrow night FNT without a gun

Last edited:
It's about 70 here. I'm thinking about firing up the blender for that frozen concoction that helps me hang on.

Crap; I hadda couple of winters in the GWN where the tires never saw pavement for 3 months. I think it's hardest for those who aren't in it regularily.

ABANDON YOUR CARS! FLAKES HAVE BEEN SPOTTED.

I was out in our last little snow a couple of weekends ago. I was fussing at a store about the folks that got into the left lane of the Beltway and drove 15 MPH, forcing me go around them on the right, where I promptly ran across someone doing 25. The guy looked at me and said "wow, you must be from up north".

Well, I bought a snowblower, so that should alert Murphy and the snow accumulation will be less than 3 inches.

I don't shovel 10+ inches anymore, and my daughter is too young to pick up the slack.

Well, I bought a snowblower, so that should alert Murphy and the snow accumulation will be less than 3 inches.

I don't shovel 10+ inches anymore, and my daughter is too young to pick up the slack.

You're going to get less than we are on this one, I think.

Tuesday the midwest is suppose to get more snow on top of the 8" we have on the ground now.

Shovel? I just drive over it.

Yup, that's pretty much Beltway sentiment.

Drove me nuts when we lived in Md. Any forecast of snow, even a sprinkle, and the stores immediately sold out of milk and toilet paper. Just weird.

Drove me nuts when we lived in Md. Any forecast of snow, even a sprinkle, and the stores immediately sold out of milk and toilet paper. Just weird.

Milk goes with everything though. Meals, in your tea (I'd be ticked if I had to drink tea without milk), hot chocolate... I buy it by the gallon and I'm single.

I guess the snowstorms must make a lot of people remember they are running out of TP.

And KWY in Philly dosen't fearmonger about storms much do they?:rolleyes:

I just shoveled roughly 6 inches off my driveway. Maybe 8, but I don't think it was quite that deep. Naturally, I will be wailing when the plow comes by again, but, it should be less work the next go-round.

Regardless, I got 45 mins of good exercise. I feel good. Maybe I should start going to the gym again...

THE WORLD IS GOING TO END!!!!!!!!!

At least, that's what they're claiming on TV. Lock your doors, you don't want to go anywhere. We're all going to die!

Egh, I'm probably just going to drive back to Pennsylvania tomorrow, and head up to Poughkoupsie today.

And KWY in Philly dosen't fearmonger about storms much do they?:rolleyes:

I drove home from CT last night and beat the snow. Stopped in at my local ACME (Wack Me for us Philly locals) and it was a freaking mob scene. I just wanted to pick up something for dinner and had to stand in a long line with the screamin meemies.

"Oh horrors, the snow is coming, OMG its the end of the world!" What a crock. I'm going to fire up the Jeep in a few minutes and go play in it.

Everybody must be making French Toast when it snows cause they were all buying Milk, Bread and Eggs. :rolleyes:

Just read the Chicago Bears are stuck in Chicago and unable to make it to Baltimore for Sunday's game due to snow and maintenance issues. This could be the most interesting loss for the Bears all season.

:rofl::rofl::rofl:

Lemme guess what's going to be on the 11 PM News tonight:

LIVE VIDEO of young reporter out in the snow, saying, "It's snowing heavily now." Sticks ruler in the snow for dramatic effect...

WOW! You must by psychic! I just saw that on the weather channel!

We only got an inch here in the metropolitan area formerly known as the Motor City.

It has just turned to snow where I live, NW of Nashville. It ought to be interesting to see the comments on the evening news. We often refer to these events as "Kroger alerts". :D

Just read the Chicago Bears are stuck in Chicago and unable to make it to Baltimore for Sunday's game due to snow and maintenance issues. This could be the most interesting loss for the Bears all season.
To avoid embarrassing loss, Daley orders lockdown on snowplows.

Back in 2005 Raleigh had less than 1 inch of snow that brought the entire city to a halt. Total gridlock. Here is what someone put on his firefighting blog about the situation:

Surprise snowfall sends fire units scrambling to multiple medical calls, vehicle accidents, and single-engine response fire alarms. Though only about an inch accumulates in the Capital City, melting snow on the roadways soon refreezes due to the low temperatures. Early-closing schools and businesses soon clog the slick streets with a record number of cars and buses. The resulting congestion stalls traffic and slows emergency responses on both major thoroughfares and popular cross streets. Gridlock also hampers the efforts of crews clearing snow and applying sand. Tire chains are ordered onto fire apparatus about 2:30 p.m. Gridlock persists on major roads into the early evening and increasingly poor road conditions affect response times to some incidents. Dozens of abandoned cars litter roadways and firefighters assist some stranded motorists with finding shelter. Routine commutes take as long as ten hours for some drivers. Multiple-vehicle accidents occur throughout the afternoon, though no serious injuries are reported. The Raleigh Police Department responds to 422 vehicle accidents between 11 a.m. and 9 p.m., with another 60 reported accidents pending. By midnight, officers are taking information over the phone for minor wrecks. Units also respond to a working apartment fire at 1209 Holman Street around 8 p.m. Car 72 and Truck 1 are first on scene and report fire showing from a second floor window. Engine 1, Engine 13, Engine 2, Rescue 7, Battalion 3, and SR 5 also respond. Both the room and its contents are destroyed. By 10 p.m., approximately 350 school buses are still on the road. Another 3,000 children around the county re being sheltered at 56 schools for the night. Major arteries including both the Beltline and New Bern Avenue remain stalled into the late evening. By 11 p.m., Governor Mike Easley has declared a state of emergency for Wake County, allowing state government buildings to be opened as shelters. Other motorists sleep overnight in their cars. The fire department answers 152 calls between 0800 hours Wednesday and 0800 hours Thursday, nearly a 50% increase over the average volume of 82 calls per day. [WE] (January 19, 2005)

ONLY IN RALEIGH NC!!!!! Glad I had the flu that day.

It must be that global warming thing...

Back