AARP is out to get me

My wife is a year older than I am, when she was approaching 50, I signed her up for AARP. A couple of weeks later she says "Why am I getting all this AARP stuff." "I signed you up." "What?" "I wanted the discounts and I'm not old enough on my own."

r u still married after that. :dunno:

I just threw it away, I don't like their politics and couldn't give a crap about their discounts. ;)
But, why isn't everyone on here whining about the money they are spending recruiting members or selling their lists to marketing companies like AOPA?? :dunno::dunno:

i've been getting aarp crap for few years now too. what i do is take everything out of the envelope and stuff it along with any other junk mail i might have back in their postage paid return envelope and mail it back to them.
because they pay the postage only on returned envelopes it's costing them money - i like that part!

Yes, I'm pretty sure it does, via the Operating Limitations issued it as an LSA.

Love to be proven wrong, though!

This is probably something everyone who has scrutinized the FAA definition of Light Sport Aircraft already knows, but the speed constraint has a couple qualifiers (in bold) that aircraft makers have worked around:

"A maximum airspeed in level flight with maximum continuous power (VH) of not more than 120 knots CAS under standard atmospheric conditions at sea level."

Some aircraft like Sonex advertise their LSA as flying faster than 120 kts at higher altitude. I would also expect Rotax 914 and Viking turbocharged engine powered LSA to exceed their sea level speeds by a healthy margin when up high.

And that's when the fight started...:D

Nah, that wasn't nearly as bad as the thrashing I got when I mumbled something about the centerline being out of service during her last landing.

AARP. :nonod:

Honestly, I won't support any outfit that spends more on money-begging con-man tactic mail to me personally than my dues cost annually.

Kind of like AOPA.

Nah, that wasn't nearly as bad as the thrashing I got when I mumbled something about the centerline being out of service during her last landing.

Well, them's fighting' words! I understand totally.

This is probably something everyone who has scrutinized the FAA definition of Light Sport Aircraft already knows, but the speed constraint has a couple qualifiers (in bold) that aircraft makers have worked around:

"A maximum airspeed in level flight with maximum continuous power (VH) of not more than 120 knots CAS under standard atmospheric conditions at sea level."

Some aircraft like Sonex advertise their LSA as flying faster than 120 kts at higher altitude. I would also expect Rotax 914 and Viking turbocharged engine powered LSA to exceed their sea level speeds by a healthy margin when up high.
I'd be willing to bet that there are guys changing props to get those nice, slippery airframes up to their speed potential.

I just threw it away, I don't like their politics and couldn't give a crap about their discounts. ;)
But, why isn't everyone on here whining about the money they are spending recruiting members or selling their lists to marketing companies like AOPA?? :dunno::dunno:

:confused: I thought it was EAA that was a branch of AARP?:dunno::rofl:

No, you can't.

The latter part, I mean.

I did convert my SLSA Sky Arrow to ELSA, which for me carries HUGE benefits.

But all the LSA restrictions all still apply.

But what does any of this have to do with AARP?

Who says the experimental is an LSA? Are you on the right board?

You can go as fast as you want. Make sure you have PPL with high performance endorsement.

Nothing to do with AARP, the comment is in response to a thread wander someone else made. You need to follow more closely...

Last edited:

You have a short memory.

Your allegation:

"If you wanted to go faster in an LSA, you can go experimental and do whatever you want."

That is incorrect.

Now is when you can reply...

"Sorry. You're right. I stand corrected."

Feel free to copy and paste if you like.

I've been getting AARP "membership cards" for years. My shredder says they are tasty.

I won't join after AARP sold out their own "members" with the Medicare Part D fiasco because it was a bonanza to AARP itself to sell more insurance.

Item: Elaine got tired of paying "AARP" too much for auto insurance, "the best we can offer." The local agent saved her 25%.

We just got the senior discount on hotel rooms by saying we're seniors. No AARP membership card required. BTW, the discount is a whole $5 a night.

We just got the senior discount on hotel rooms by saying we're seniors. No AARP membership card required. BTW, the discount is a whole $5 a night.

If you want discounts on hotels, rental cars and Amtrak, AAA works. (And I've seldom been asked to show my card.) Getting a toll free number to call for a free tow is a good thing, too, especially for my wife and teens. They aren't much of an advocacy group for motorists, but they don't need to be.

You can go as fast as you want. Make sure you have PPL with high performance endorsement.

Nothing to do with AARP, the comment is in response to a thread wander someone else made. You need to follow more closely...

What does E/LSA stand for then?

Try being 31 and keep getting them. I can't figure out where they got my name from.

Just send in a change of address form to some local nursing home.

When you finally check in to it, you will have a stack of mail to read!!! :lol:

If you want discounts on hotels, rental cars and Amtrak, AAA works. (And I've seldom been asked to show my card.) Getting a toll free number to call for a free tow is a good thing, too, especially for my wife and teens. They aren't much of an advocacy group for motorists, but they don't need to be.

I got fed up with AAA offices never being open and never having maps. I have road service on my insurance for a lot less.

The biggest need for me is to have a number to call for road service rather than trying to figure out where a local towing service is.

I got fed up with AAA offices never being open and never having maps. I have road service on my insurance for a lot less.

The biggest need for me is to have a number to call for road service rather than trying to figure out where a local towing service is.

Just ask Siri or Google on your phone.:D

Our local outlet mall gives a book of discount coupons to AAA members, with special deals at most of the stores in the mall. The discounts can be pretty substantial.

So I always stop at the visitor's desk first thing to pick one up before setting off to shop. Since we only go to the mall when it's time to shop big (Christmas, for example) these coupons can usually save us enough in one trip to pretty much pay for our AAA membership for the year.

Most outlet malls do this. If you frequent one, don't skip this step. (And if your wife doesn't know about this, tell her.)

Our local outlet mall gives a book of discount coupons to AAA members, with special deals at most of the stores in the mall. The discounts can be pretty substantial.

So I always stop at the visitor's desk first thing to pick one up before setting off to shop. Since we only go to the mall when it's time to shop big (Christmas, for example) these coupons can usually save us enough in one trip to pretty much pay for our AAA membership for the year.

Most outlet malls do this. If you frequent one, don't skip this step. (And if your wife doesn't know about this, tell her.)

I bet they'll give that book to anyone.

I bet they'll give that book to anyone.

Some merchants like NAPA auto parts stores ask to see my AAA card when I request the discount.

Hotels and rental car companies usually don't.

Hertz has asked for a card when my daughter sought the USAA discount, however.

I suspect AARP will be as corrupt over the next ten years as the politicians the aging generation hired. It's already started, really.

AARP is hurting because they are a liberal lobby and the elderly are dumping them for supporting Obama's Medicare thefts.

My 1 year old CTLSi SLSA has fuel injection, 120ktas cruise, all carbon fiber, strutless high wing, 50 inch wide cockpit with an all plane BRS parachute.

I have dual Dynon Skyviews 10 inch with integrated 2-Axis Autopilot, ADS-B, Mode S transponder, Garmin Aera 796 GPS/WAAS, and a GTR 225 10watt radio. I also have XM weather and music integrated.

I run at 3.5 gph on 91E10 autogas. I have a 1200 nm range and a 1200 fpm climb.

I assume you are flying in a 30 year old Cessna tin beast? What is your fuel burn? How fast do you climb? How does that narrow, loud, vibrating, steam gauged, oil burning, 100LL gas guzzling, no view cockpit working for you?

How much did your LSA cost?

I suspect AARP will be as corrupt over the next ten years as the politicians the aging generation hired. It's already started, really.
AARP has been corrupt for a very long time.

Back