Aaargh!

cwyckham

Line Up and Wait
Display Name

Display name:
cwyckham
I just had the worst flight I've had in a while. I just got my type rating in a 172N (you need type ratings for everything in New Zealand) and took it up for some T&Gs. I'm practicing because I want to impress my boss tomorrow when I fly him down to our main office in the 172. It'll be his first flight with me.

I was all over the place! Eight landings and I liked one of them. The rest were horrible. Too flat, bounce, flare too high and drop it in, you name it. Even my patterns sucked. The thing has such a good climb rate with just me in it compared to the Grumman AA1C I've been flying that I keep overshooting pattern altitude. There was also tons of traffic in the pattern (at one point I was number 4 on final), and my total inabillity to stabilize on an altitude after climbing out increased the risk to everyone. Man, I pi** me off sometimes.

Wish me luck tomorrow, there's a good chance it'll be the last time the boss ever flys with me. At least I'm fairly confident we'll both live through it. My landings weren't dangerous, just ugly.

Chris

If your landings are anything like mine, the only good ones are when noone is around. :)
Good Luck!

If you mess up. Just don't say like anything bad happend. Don't try to make up an excuse for yourself. Just pretend like that's how it's supposed to be. Chances are he'll never know.

I have never had a passenger that thought I made a bad landing. There have been times where *I* thought I made a bad landing. If I don't say anything they won't know any better.

Michael said:
If your landings are anything like mine, the only good ones are when noone is around. :)
Good Luck!

But your take offs are memorable!!:)

cwyckham said:
I was all over the place! Eight landings and I liked one of them. The rest were horrible. Too flat, bounce, flare too high and drop it in, you name it. Even my patterns sucked.

Maybe you've gotten the bad ones out! I find my landings come in 6-8's. I get 6 to 8 absolutely great landings, like I've been flying all my life. Then I'll get 6 to 8 where the plane is re-usable. Then the pendulum swings back and I do some great ones......

alaskaflyer said:
Better bad landings than bad takeoffs...those tend to ruin your day.

I used to say that until I grabbed a few !BAD! TOs that flight students threw at me... usually due to, but not limited to, uncontrolled aircraft left turning tendencies.

Whew! It went really well. I am very relieved.

Thanks for the words of encouragement, they make me feel a lot better. As it turns out, I had one greaser and one so-so landing. The latter was in a gusting crosswind, so I felt ok about it.

I was really stressed about the flight for a number of reasons, one being that I was going to fly to a busy controlled airport and I suck in controlled airspace. Turned out that it wasn't too busy, so that went pretty well (apart from missing my callsign twice. I have to train my ear better).

The interesting thing was that they brought me in on a really tight right base and wouldn't let me descend from 1600' AGL until I turned final. I swear I was on about a 30 degree glideslope. Thank goodness for the 172N's 40 degree flaps and an aggressive slip (no oscillations of doom, I'm pleased to report), I was able to bring it right down and put it on the runway just past the numbers. What a sweet feeling.

With luck, my boss will decide that it was so much fun that we should do it every couple of weeks. At 1.8 hrs on the Hobbs today, that could add up.

Chris

cwyckham said:
Whew! It went really well. I am very relieved.

With luck, my boss will decide that it was so much fun that we should do it every couple of weeks. At 1.8 hrs on the Hobbs today, that could add up.

Chris

Then maybe he'll decide it's a great way to get there, but "Can we get there faster?" "Sure boss, if we had a company Bonanza....":D

BTW, You braved the "Oscillation of Doom"?:hairraise: :eek: :hairraise: :eek: :hairraise:

Dave Krall CFII said:
I used to say that until I grabbed a few !BAD! TOs that flight students threw at me... usually due to, but not limited to, uncontrolled aircraft left turning tendencies.

Right rudder, right rudder, right rudder.... it was my mantra as a student pilot ! :)

Dave Krall CFII said:

Yep, been there done that. Sure will wake ya up in over there in the right seat won't it. It's really bad when the student is getting pretty good at takeoffs and then outta the blue.........
Don
Havin' a blast as a CFI

cwyckham said:
I just got my type rating in a 172N (you need type ratings for everything in New Zealand) and took it up for some T&Gs.
I did my type rating in NZ in a 172N too. However I don't remember; is it good on all 172's, or just the N model? :dunno: (I suppose I could just look at the certificate, but it's at home).

gprellwitz said:
I did my type rating in NZ in a 172N too. However I don't remember; is it good on all 172's, or just the N model? :dunno: (I suppose I could just look at the certificate, but it's at home).

IIRC it's the same as here, so it would be all of them.

gprellwitz said:

This is from a NZ AC:

Similar aircraft types

Rule 61.55(d) allows for an aircraft type rating to include any other aircraft, if in the opinion of the
qualified flight instructor, the type is so similar as to require no further conversion instruction or
type competency demonstration. The flight instructor must endorse the logbook with the type and
submit to the Director a certified copy of the logbook entry.
The decision on similar type is entirely the responsibility of the qualified flight instructor who is
current on type and conversant with the experience and ability of the candidate.​

So it's totally up to the instructor. My instructor signed off just for "Cessna 172". However, he and I have sort of a gentleman's agreement that I'll get a further checkout before flying a 172SP because of the fuel injected engine. He was originally going to sign me off for models earlier than SP only, but I convinced him that the paperwork would be a pain that way. He hates paperwork, and there's a ton of it here with all the ratings.​

Chris​

Edit: Sorry for the bold, I can't get it to go away. Something to do with the cut and paste from a pdf? It's not bold when I go to edit it.

Last edited:
cwyckham said:
Whew! It went really well. I am very relieved.... Thank goodness for the 172N's 40 degree flaps and an aggressive slip (no oscillations of doom, I'm pleased to report), I was able to bring it right down and put it on the runway just past the numbers. What a sweet feeling....

Gotta love those Cessna flaps! I am glad it went well. I did most of my flight training (ongoing) in an N, with a lot of L, and some D and M thrown in there, too. I really have to stay on the checklist and the numbers for each and work to avoid "negative transfer" of treating them all like what I am most familiar with, since each model (hell, each airplane is an individual), to me, is significantly different in some way or another.

good luck in future boss carrying flights!

terry

cwyckham said:
This is from a NZ AC:

Similar aircraft types

Rule 61.55(d) allows for

[

Interesting that in NZ, their aviation rules are in Part 61 too... random?

Troy Whistman said:
Interesting that in NZ, their aviation rules are in Part 61 too... random?

All of the general rule chapters (91, 135, 61, etc.) carry over, though the specific paragraphs are different, I think. Certainly the rules themselves have distinct differences. I'm sure it's deliberate. I'm not sure if they were copying the FAA or if it's become and ICAO standard.

Chris

Henning said:
IIRC it's the same as here, so it would be all of them.
I checked last night and yes, I was signed off for all of them. Of course, it's since expired, since I only did the three(?) month license transfer rather than going for the full route with a medical and everything.

cwyckham said:

So it's totally up to the instructor. My instructor signed off just for "Cessna 172". However, he and I have sort of a gentleman's agreement that I'll get a further checkout before flying a 172SP because of the fuel injected engine. He was originally going to sign me off for models earlier than SP only, but I convinced him that the paperwork would be a pain that way.​

This, alone, makes me chuckle; seems to me that the only supplemental instruction that would be required would be (1) starting procedures, and (2) how to remind your right hand that it's OK to grab only one knob when you pull power (since there's no carb heat...).

SCCutler said:
This, alone, makes me chuckle; seems to me that the only supplemental instruction that would be required would be (1) starting procedures, and (2) how to remind your right hand that it's OK to grab only one knob when you pull power (since there's no carb heat...).

True. I guess the other thing is apparently there's something like 17 fuel drain points since it's a wet wing.

cwyckham said:
True. I guess the other thing is apparently there's something like 17 fuel drain points since it's a wet wing.
13. 5 per wing plus 3 under the cowling.

Back