AA Pilot Death

Albuquerque isn't that bad....

Too soon?

FO: "I'd rather die than have to listen to that bitchy FA one more time . . ."

FA: "cabin secured for landing"

All jokes aside, it is unfortunate. I'm sure the captain was doing everything he could to get the aircraft on the ground and to the gate as quickly as possible.

Last edited:
Wait, the captain landed the plane by himself??? That is so dangerous and irresponsible! Think of the children!!

But all kidding aside, that just plain sucks. At least it was a two-pilot airplane so there was only 1 fatality.
How soon will we see the "he died doing what he loved" remark?

R.I.P.

Wow, this place gets rough fast!

Most takeoff and landing operations have both pilots performing tasks, and reducing to single pilot does increase work load, plus the stress level of the co-pilot incapacitated, declaring an emergency, and if ABQ is like El Paso was yesterday (winds 30G40) am sure it wasn't exactly a "piece of cake" single pilot operation - respect for the FO and the pilot is in order.

Maybe those of you posting the wisecracks might think about taking a step back. You will be going home to your loved ones.
Mike Grubbs will never see his again.
RIP FO Mike Grubbs and condolences to his family and friends.

He was pretty much required to declare an emergency. He had to bust a few FARs to get the plane down.

Maybe those of you posting the wisecracks might think about taking a step back. You will be going home to your loved ones.
Mike Grubbs will never see his again.
RIP FO Mike Grubbs and condolences to his family and friends.

I don't think any of the wisecracks were a personal attack on the deceased. Dark humor is just part of how many people deal with the thought of loss/death, especially in professions where it happens a lot (emergency services, military, medical, pilots). No need to get all riled up about it.

I don't think any of the wisecracks were a personal attack on the deceased. Dark humor is just part of how many people deal with the thought of loss/death, especially in professions where it happens a lot (emergency services, military, medical, pilots). No need to get all riled up about it.

I not riled up. But if he was a friend/acquaintance of yours, would you like reading some of these comments? This is an aviation forum on the Internet. Wouldn't bet against a friend or possibly family member reading this thread. Just think some of the comments are in poor taste. Family and friends have enough to deal with right now and are probably looking for support instead of wisecracks. Just mho.

I not riled up. But if he was a friend/acquaintance of yours, would you like reading some of these comments? This is an aviation forum on the Internet. Wouldn't bet against a friend or possibly family member reading this thread. Just think some of the comments are in poor taste. Family and friends have enough to deal with right now and are probably looking for support instead of wisecracks. Just mho.

Understood, but at the risk of sounding callous, when exactly is it considered "okay" to make a joke about sensitive subjects? If I was advising a family member of mine (or any family member of someone whose death was very public), I wouldn't have them getting online or looking at social media as the results would almost always have some unpleasant commentary. I do understand your point of view, though.

Unfortunately, that is the new norm around here. Doesn't make it right, but it is allowed by the moderators even when comments are classless and in poor taste.

Unfortunately, that is the new norm around here. Doesn't make it right, but it is allowed by the moderators even when comments are classless and in poor taste.

Are "moderators" thy brother's keeper? Who is the better judge of crassness: the pope or the politician? The pieman or the plumber's-helper?

Turns out he was a friend of my dads. They'd known each other since the Eastern Metro days in the 80's. I know that headline made me stop for a second. My dad just upgraded off of the right seat of the 73.

R.I.P.

Back