AA-5 Grumman camouflage

A friend’s Mooney:

7542698730_cf47bf8fc0_z.jpg

I flew for a company in Alaska that had all their C-207s painted yellow. It made them easier to see when sitting on the ramp. Not much different spotting them then any other plane in the air.

One person in Alaska painted his plane forest green with Day-Glo pink wingtips and elevator. It was pretty easy to see him. His thought was that most crashed planes are usually a pile of ashes with wingtips on each side of the pile and the tail behind the pile, making it easier to identify his crash site.....

Here is the Navy Electronics Lab report on High Visibility Painting Design for Aircraft.
http://www.dtic.mil/dtic/tr/fulltext/u2/759419.pdf

It's pretty interesting reading. The biggest two suggestions are painting the underside black and the top-side a bright color that contrasts with what you typically fly over (sand, trees, ocean). They suggest flourescent red and. There's a lot more detail in the report, but that's the gist of it.

The AA-1A I fly is original factory ORANGE. It needs to be repainted. The owner (former Navy) want's to go Navy Blue or Navy Gray. I'm Army so I am pushing for OD Green. To be honest though, I think he'll keep it ORANGE. It looks good, is visible, it's a really easy paint scheme, and stripping paint from an AA-1 or AA-5 is a pain (no chemical paint stripper allowed on the glued-together airplanes).

I would think bright yellow might be best.

Following motorcyclists, it’s often the bright yellow helmets that stand out, especially in low visibility.

Following my own advice:

37177671304_89507e0965_z.jpg

As an aside, that’s me on my new TW200 earning my dragon, hustling through Deals Gap a couple weeks ago.

Earlier this summer at Deals Gap on my R12GS. White helmet (reflects heat, high vis) and my high-vis mesh jacket.

thumb_1499125449CP_N2062.JPG

There is no way I am painting a plane Hi-Vis Yellow.

I love dayglo orange, especially at mach 2 in the climb!

upload_2017-11-10_10-33-8.jpeg

Back