A65/A75 Oil Tank

jesse

Touchdown! Greaser!
Display Name

Display name:
Jesse
Anyone have an A65/A75 oil tank laying around they would part with? Possible some other Continentals use the same one? I'm not sure.

Mine has numerous welds, I pulled it last year and had a crack repaired, but another has developed and I'm sick of messing with it. It's basically just a bunch of welds shaped like a tank at this point :) If I pull it off again I want to bolt another on that I know isn't going to have an issue.

I found this on eBay but it's a bit pricey and it's lacking information...Curious who actually made it:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/CONTINENTAL...iation_Parts_Gear&hash=item23398725ba&vxp=mtr

Well Jesse, those are some enormously large beads and it appears as though he took several lunch breaks before he got all the way around. Also looks like he changed his mind at some point as to where he wanted the drain hole to be.

Looks like a failed prototype to me.

If you do not find one try going to Oshkosh if you can. I bet anything you find one there.
Or if money is not an issue find a good machinist who has aviation background and have one made. But it will cost double ore triple the price. I had to have a special made carb heat box made for my experimental. Cost me thousand bucks. Its one nice box and I was just mins away from the stock box failing apart and being sucked into my engine. the box I have now is one nice piece of art. Cost more but Looks great. When you see it you say..this guy takes care of his engine. I had some say this, and I do.

I sat in on an EAA webinar last evening all about small bore continental's. Continental has a listing that shows what parts fit from one engine to the next. Watch the webinar and find all this and more. This is a multi part webinar with this being number 1 or part 1.

Harry Fenton did the webinar.

Tony

going on an experimental amature built airplane.

Bummer Jessie. Hope your brakes hold out longer.

It's nothing like the leak I had last year, quite minimal, wouldn't have found it without uv dye. I know it will get worse with time however so trying to get a bit of a head start.

It's nothing like the leak I had last year, quite minimal, wouldn't have found it without uv dye. I know it will get worse with time however so trying to get a bit of a head start.

Some good degreaser and jb weld might be worth a try if you don't need to pull it to access it.

I have one from a C-85 that seems to be in really good shape. The oil fill tube position has to be checked for your application though. I can e-mail pix. Wouldn't work for my C-85 powered J4A

I have one from a C-85 that seems to be in really good shape. The oil fill tube position has to be checked for your application though. I can e-mail pix. Wouldn't work for my C-85 powered J4A
I'm not sure if it's the same tank..maybe..could you e-mail me pics?

jesse

<A...T>

angelldevelopment

<D.O.T>

com

I'm not sure if it's the same tank..maybe..could you e-mail me pics?

Sounds like the tanks are interchangeable, but were altered by the aircraft they were installed in....See Page 13 of:

http://www.bowersflybaby.com/tech/Continental Parts Catalogue.doc

All four-cylinder engines:
Briefly, there are actually only two oil sumps, or oil pans.
One has a maximum capacity of 4.8 quarts, and its capacity is rated according to how the oil stick is marked. The location, length, and angle of the neck determine which airplane it fits the best. However, most of the airplanes can interchange oil sumps without making the filler neck too inaccessible.
The other sump is used on Luscombes and Aeronca Champions or Chiefs. This is a 6-quart-plus sump and is shaped differently .than the 4.8 quart sump.

Ron Wanttaja

Back