A Year Ago Today

HPNFlyGirl

En-Route
Display Name

Display name:
iBrookieMonster
May 25th 2006 I started taking lessons with the CFI that signed me off to take my checkride. What a great year it has been. I think I learned the most last weekend though on my trip up to KLOM. Whoever came up with the "It's nothing but a license to learn" wasn't kidding. If anyone would have asked me a year ago today, if I would have been a private pilot for a few months now, I would have laughed at them. I over came many challenges and finished it up. Life is, well, GREAT!!!!!
biggrin.gif
:goofy: :yes:

I'm glad you finally got your green card. You're legal! :D

Brook, Enjoy yourself and keep learning. Have your IR in this year.

One of these days, I'll have to make a trip up your way.

I think I learned the most last weekend though on my trip up to KLOM. Whoever came up with the "It's nothing but a license to learn" wasn't kidding.

The long trips are the ones where the most learning happens! If you read the account of my trip, you'll notice that I learned how ridges + haze can create the illusion of a shoreline or a rainstorm.

I love long trips. :yes:

So, what'd you learn?

A year ago this week I crashed my plane ;):(

Going flying this weekend. Hopefully I can erase that anniversary.

oh yea, a year ago this weekend (mem day) i flew my first solo XC in my glider. it was a two thermal kind of thing. i was 800 feet from making it a one thermal flight, but hooked a nice one on base leg to a field. Matt thought I had crashed and died. killer winds blew me about 30 miles north of ames, and I was back to the airport in time for the Mem. day picnic. what a fun day

You've come a long way, girl! What are you going to do this year to top that?

Still working on the write up from my trip. (been wicked busy since last weekend).

I would like to go for my IR, but I do not see that happening anytime soon. :( The trip to KLOM stressed the importance of having an instrument rating. Also...I now have 38.3 x/c hours, so when I do go for my IR...I won't have to worry about that, well other than meeting the requirements for the IR.

I did however obtain my endorsement for my high performance aircraft, there for I can now fly the 182 at the flight school. :D

Still working on the write up from my trip. (been wicked busy since last weekend).

I would like to go for my IR, but I do not see that happening anytime soon. :( The trip to KLOM stressed the importance of having an instrument rating. Also...I now have 38.3 x/c hours, so when I do go for my IR...I won't have to worry about that, well other than meeting the requirements for the IR.

I did however obtain my endorsement for my high performance aircraft, there for I can now fly the 182 at the flight school. :D
a) As I said, you did a GREAT job!

b) I'm still working on the writeup of our trip too. Unfortunately, since I didn't fly up to MSN this weekend, I helped Leslie put together the pieces for the 99's exhibit at the Cavalcade of Planes at Clow next weekend and for the Illinois Aviation Museum exhibit. And tomorrow I'm planning to go to RFD to meet up with Dave S. and Bob.

May 25th 2006 I started taking lessons with the CFI that signed me off to take my checkride. What a great year it has been. I think I learned the most last weekend though on my trip up to KLOM. Whoever came up with the "It's nothing but a license to learn" wasn't kidding. If anyone would have asked me a year ago today, if I would have been a private pilot for a few months now, I would have laughed at them. I over came many challenges and finished it up. Life is, well, GREAT!!!!!
biggrin.gif
:goofy: :yes:

awesome! I guess I should sort that one out for myself, too. (yes, I do intend to finish my checkride with this one!)

Memorial Day 2006:

I was up at 0400, dragging self to coffee-maker.

Demoralized.

Prep for repeat lesson 26 of 40 for my CFI Intial.

Ready to give up.

Old saying in aviation: "Never give up! Never!"

Stuck with it.

Six months later, November, prep for check-ride.

Finally, ready for check-ride.

Two months of rain and mechanical failures say otherwise.

Spend two months doing ground; going broke. Demoralized again.

Finally, Feb. 15, 2007, passed CFI Initial checkride. First try. Shocked. Question examiner. Demand second checkride. No, he says. Good to go.

About four months later, five students, two on their way to FAA, hit 500 hours, and am skirting SIC in a Learjet.

Life is good.

Never give up.

Last edited:
Congrats Brooke. Much learned and much more to learn. Good start...

Congrats on the HP endorsement Brook! The 182 is a sweetie.....

Aren't aviation anniversaries fun?? Almost 9 years to the day of getting my private pilot airplane in a C-150, I started training for my very first helicopter type rating. Just passed all the written exams (JAA included) today and finished up the ground school. Two weeks of sim time starting on Monday and maybe it'll be done! Who woulda thunk....

It is awesome, isn't it? You're almost exactly 1yr behind me - my first logged flight was in early June 05, passed the test 12/29/05 ( A DATE WHICH WILL LIVE, IN INFAMY-Y-Y-y-y-y).

Get the IR, you'll be really glad you did.

Back