A Wife's Questions

Come back and post some trip reports with pics. Have fun!

Okay. Told my husband that henceforth I shall trust in his judgement re: flying, time, plane, money and me. He smiled pretty big.

Made a complete re-read of all the posts. My goal is to have a positive-outcome story, like many of yours, for a future spouse who may venture in here.

For the record, some posts here clearly were made based on incorrect interpretations of posts that had come before. That happens in forums, I surmise, so no big deal. Just want to note that I'm not controlling, a harpy, a shrew, or in need of drugs, a shrink, or a divorce lawyer. And the 75K kitchen remodel was a hypothetical situation, not something I'll be getting, though it would have been nice, come to think of it.

I guess it's chocks away, chaps! for now. A huge, huge thank you to all. I know some of those posts weren't easy to write. I appreciate them all.

"Well Tonto, it looks like our work here is done. We've got to keep this thread from circling back on itself.":)
Good on you. Remember to be patient with yourself when you relapse.

Just want to note that I'm not controlling, a harpy, a shrew,

Yeah, sorry. Sometimes I call a spade a #%!%#^&! shovel. Funny thing is, I think you might be happier all around in time. In a year or so, maybe consider getting back on the horse for a short trip on a cool calm day. See what you think again. If you still don't like it, no prob, you gave it a shot. Trust your hubby, sometimes they'll surprise you. :cheerswine:

Compromise in marriage is overrated, IMO. It works better when one person gets 100% some of the time and the other person gets 100% some of the time.

That is compromise. And humility. You don't have to be right all the time, sometimes you need to question your own infalibility and admit that you don't actually have all the right answers all the time.

I've been following the thread out of curiosity, but given the responses after your post ... yeah, I'm even more happy to be single.
Takes all kinds ...

You guys seem to say this in every relationship thread. Maybe we're glad you're single too. :rofl:

:D

I always ask my husband to call when he lands, not if he's just doing practice, but if he goes on a longer trip. I also ask him to call when he's getting ready to take off for home. We live near our airport, so I can actually go outside and watch him land if I am home.

Despite her best effort (studying the Nall Report, learning what causes accidents, reminding herself that her husband has good judgement that will improve his odds of returning safely, etc. etc.), a wife can feel a little on edge while her husband is flying. There are a lot of things that can go wrong, and things that are out of his control.

The phone calls help me relax a little. They can be REALLY important if a wife is at all uneasy about your flying. The fact that your wife asks you to call is, I think, a very caring gesture, and is not meant in any way to impede your sense of freedom in flying.

I am continually amazed (but also enlightened) as I learn more about how differently men and women see the world.

Long ago I dated a guy with whom conversations like this would actually happen:

Me: "Wow, what a beautiful day!"
Him: (annoyed) "Well, if you wanted to go on a picnic, you should have said so."

Me: "We don't really communicate very well."
Him: "Yes we do!!"

What the what??? :dunno:

That's why it takes love and effort to make marriage work, I guess. :)

Sounds like my now ex boyfriend. Communication is a really big deal. Another key difference between men and women: when I would fly he would not need a phone call. Guys vs. girls I guess.

Long ago I dated a guy with whom conversations like this would actually happen:

Me: "Wow, what a beautiful day!"
Him: (annoyed) "Well, if you wanted to go on a picnic, you should have said so."

Translation:
I'm trying to be all that stuff I saw on TV about relationships and anticipate your needs. I failed at it, but its your fault I failed.

Kimberly, if we study the translation, some light will begin to dawn. :)

I guess it's chocks away, chaps! for now. A huge, huge thank you to all. I know some of those posts weren't easy to write. I appreciate them all.

"Well Tonto, it looks like our work here is done. We've got to keep this thread from circling back on itself.":)

Good luck! :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

Back