A view most of us will never see

Wow, that's great footage!

(For those wondering: It's in-cockpit footage from F/A-18 Super Hornets performing some fast and low.)

my God that deck is huge. Fan tail to fan tail with the Coral Sea, the Coral sea would not be forward of the island. and half as wide.

Meh... all my landings look like that. I have wondered though, is it normal to have to change out your tires, brakes and suspension donuts every six months? ;)

I have said for years though, if a person is driven to fly the highest performance planes in the world and at the highest level of proficiency there is, they have to join the Navy. :thumbsup:

Great stuff!

Seeing this just makes me respect the pilots of those aircraft even more than I already did. I can see why the military is so selective in who gets to fly these, most of us aren't cut out for it.

I have said for years though, if a person is driven to fly the highest performance planes in the world and at the highest level of proficiency there is, they have to join the Navy. :thumbsup:

And then there are those black stormy nights at sea that the crews climb out crying. I've seen pilots and crews climb down kiss the deck crying tears as big as crock terds and need help getting off the deck, while they thank
god their sorry a$$ is still alive. It ain't all like that vid.

I have said for years though, if a person is driven to fly the highest performance planes in the world and at the highest level of proficiency at landing on a boat there is, they have to join the Navy. :thumbsup:

FIFY :goofy:

All in good fun. Great video. Here's a raw cut of one I took a few years ago, never got around to editing it. Good stuff starts at around 2 mins.
https://youtu.be/5cje1wqbENY

Here's one a guy shot when I was giving him an incentive ride a few years ago. He's better at editing. :D
https://vimeo.com/101473326

Last edited:
my God that deck is huge. Fan tail to fan tail with the Coral Sea, the Coral sea would not be forward of the island. and half as wide.
Exaggerate much? The ship in the video is the Big E (1123' LOA) Only about 150' longer than CORAL SEA (968' LOA)

Interesting close up of the F-18 with Dee Mewbourne's name on the side. Video must have been from 2011 when he was CO of the ship.

Meh, whatever. I've pulled 1.8 to 2 gs sustained for 50 secs before. Started to close in around 35 secs into it but got on the "Hick" and opened it up again.

Back