A thing that happened (And why I owe TecProtb a lifetime supply of free beer)

Perspective (G1000) avionics cirrus models have a CAS warning when the parking brake is on. Stares you right in the face, hard to miss.

Clearly the FAA has been remiss in not issuing an AD for the older Cirrus models for a mandatory retrofit ;)

"I rent a lot of cars, but I don't always know everything about them. So a lot of times, I drive for like ten miles with the emergency brake on. That doesn't say a lot for me, but it really doesn't say a lot for the emergency brake. It's really not an emergency brake, it's an emergency "make the car smell funny" lever."

-Mitch Hedberg
Been there, Done that!!!

The line guy came banging on my front door last night a while after I landed, telling me I'd left the parking brake on so he couldn't push the airplane back. Some quick investigation showed that I hadn't left the parking brake on; it was dark and he hadn't seen the chocks under the nose wheel, instead..! Moving the chocks miraculously cured the issue...

Cirrus pilots are used to floating down into the grass after pulling the handle. Maybe it was practice exiting the grass in case the plane is reusable.

pulling handles is all I know. This one happened to be attached to the Parking Brake.

I figured to opt out on the parking brake during the build. So no worries about ever not releasing it.
Just chock the wheels if you're ever dealing with a slope when parking (I think I've used them once in 100 hours), and stand on the brakes when doing the run-up. I remember setting the brake on a Cherokee I trained in for run-up, but it really seemed like an unnecessary step.

A really firm stomp on the brakes is a good pre-flight check too!
So, if you're on a slope, you jump out really quickly to put the chock in place before it rolls away?

So, if you're on a slope, you jump out really quickly to put the chock in place before it rolls away?

No. That would be dangerous. You face the airplane the exact combination of uphill/upwind so that it would roll straight backwards. Then set the throttle to exactly balance the backwards movement. Then jump out and put the chocks in. At your leisure, climb back in and shutdown the engine. Safety first! :D

John

No. That would be dangerous. You face the airplane the exact combination of uphill/upwind so that it would roll straight backwards. Then set the throttle to exactly balance the backwards movement. Then jump out and put the chocks in. At your leisure, climb back in and shutdown the engine. Safety first! :D

John

That's actually my time building secret! Log the Hobbs!

You know, I was just thinking the other day that time seemed to pass faster than usual. No wonder! It was @SixPapaCharlie speeding up the rotation of the earth!

Back