A super-sweet adventure

flyingcheesehead

Touchdown! Greaser!
Display Name

Display name:
iMooniac
I'm going to do this in several posts, so please be patient... I hope to have everything up by later tonight.

Having had oodles of fun at Gaston's, 6Y9, Ames, and wherever else I associate with PoA folk, I decided that I'd bite the bullet and go to the Wings Fly-B-Q this year as there's lots of you out in the East I haven't met yet. I've also been wanting to visit my grandparents in PA via GA for a while, so I combined the two. I managed to get a full plane, the first time I think I've ever had all four seats full for a cross country. Me, Kate, my brother Kynan, and his girlfriend Janelle.

I'm gonna split this up, with an additional post for each to follow:

1) KMSN->8G1
2) 8G1->KLOM
3) KLOM->KUNV
4) KUNV->7W5
5) 7W5->KMSN

LOL Kent, I also need some video from you.

1) KMSN->8G1

I couldn't have asked for better weather on the first leg. It's not often you can fly 300nm across several states and never see a single cloud! Despite some visible haze while airborne, visibility was still better than 30nm. Did I mention, not a single cloud between Madison, WI and Willard, OH? Amazing!

After a work-induced late start (I got home at 5:30 AM Friday :eek:), we got everyone to the airport and began packing the plane. This is the first time I've ever had to de-fuel the 182, but we still managed to put 900 pounds of people and bags in the cabin and over four hours worth of fuel in the tanks. What a wonderful airplane! After the normal thorough pre-flight routine plus two quarts of oil, we climbed in. Despite three of us being 6 feet or taller, there was plenty of leg room for all. What a wonderful airplane! :yes:

With such beautiful weather in the Midwest, we did the first leg VFR, which allows a much shorter route past Chicago. "Madison Clearance, Skylane 271G, VFR to Waukegan, 5500." "271G, maintain VFR at or below 3,000, departure frequency 120.1, squawk 0412." After the readback, we were cleared to taxi to 21. The plane seemed as ready for the trip as I was, with every check of every system working out flawlessly.

Unfortunately, ATC wasn't so eager as we were. After calling tower, we sat at the hold short line for several minutes waiting for a Cessna to land, a Cherokee to miss his practice approach, and a couple of airliners to arrive and depart on 18. Finally, we were let go. The plane didn't seem to sweat all the extra weight at all and clawed for air at better than 1000 fpm except for when we were smacked from above by one of the numerous bumps.

Departure sent us on our way and up to altitude as soon as we checked in. Finally, home was behind us and we were on our way. Lake Koshkonong, Lake Mills, the Fort Atkinson airport, and other landmarks slowly slid backwards past our windows. It was still a little bumpy at altitude, but the bumps were softer and less frequent. We chatted about sights we saw like the would-be runway at the would-be Richard I. Bong Air Force Base (now the "Bong Recreation Area," whose signs provide travelers with a chuckle as they pass nearby on I-94).

Madison cut us loose, but I decided to see if ATC would be as nice as the weather and called up Milwaukee approach. It took them a while to call "radar contact" as they were fairly busy, and I didn't hear another peep from them until we were approaching Waukegan, where they cut us loose too. I was in such a good mood I decided to give Chicago Approach a try. "Chicago Approach, Skylane 271G over Waukegan, request flight following down the lakeshore." They must have been in an OK-for-Chicago-Approach mood too, as they actually did answer: "Aircraft calling for flight following, unable." Oh well, I tried.

Out came the Chicago TAC. I descended over the top of Waukegan's class D and turned southbound to slide underneath the ORD Bravo shelf. I tuned in the Northbrook VOR to find the first step-down. The second is near the Bahai Temple, which is a lot easier to spot:

IMG_2729.jpg

Photo by Kynan

And on down to 2500 we go. I've been down the lakeshore before, but this time there was something new: Simultaneous parallel approaches going right over our heads. Cool. :yes: And then, downtown, which would be a lot prettier if it weren't for what's just out of the bottom of this picture...

IMG_2736.jpg

Photo by Kynan

About this point, I called Midway for flight following and it was granted. It was pretty short-lived however, they cut me loose about 8 miles from Gary. I called Gary Tower for an overflight and it was granted. Free from the Bravo, we once again clawed for altitude and a few minutes later found ourselves some nice cool, smooth air.

I've criscrossed Indiana on the ground enough to have a good idea what the cities and roads are from the air as well. It's flat and boring on the ground, and...

INflatness.jpg

Photo by Kate

...flat and boring from the air, too! :rofl: Luckily, it takes less time to cross in the air, and South Bend and Fort Wayne TRACONs kept us company until Ohio, where Toledo and Mansfield watched over us.

Now, a side note here. I've driven past oodles of airports, and it's always been a secret dream of mine to someday be able to fly to all the airports I've driven past. I'd planned to stop at Willard, OH 8G1 for fuel because it was cheap and just so happened to be within 0.1 mile of the exact halfway point of the trip, and just by chance... Well, when we were on downwind I suddenly realized that I'd just driven past this field in December, just after picking up a load of snowblowers destined for Eau Claire, WI. I recognized the curve, airport-on-the-left, curve pattern the road made, and the airport manager confirmed that the snowblower place was just a few miles east of the field. Cool.

Willard.jpg

Photo by Kate

The airport is a good one. Fuel's cash only but is very cheap. The airport manager has a very nice-looking radio-controlled jet inside. He said he's between $6K and $7K into it, including $3300 just for the jet engine... And he has another one too! He's also a super-nice guy. We actually showed up just a hair after 5 PM local and luckily he showed up at the field just after we'd parked so he could take the trash out. He said that normally there was a $5 fee for after-hours service, but when I went to pay him the $5 at the end, he laughed and said "There is no fee... Just the fact that you're willing to pay it is enough for me." :)

Great writeup, Kent. And Kynan's shot of Bahia is fabulous! We lucked out on fuel on the return trip, too. Sandusky County Regional, which we'd selected before takeoff, closes at 5:00 too. We had a number for after hours, but I wa trying hard to raise them on the radio as we were coming in, since we were arriving within just a couple minutes of 5:00. Never raised them, but they were still there, since they were expecting a couple of their King Airs to be coming in. In fact, one was on base as we were cleared to switch to advisory, so we just entered an upwind and went around the pattern. (Yes, I had been listening to and communicating on CTAF while Leslie was talking to ATC, so it was no big deal).

2) 8G1->KLOM

As much as I would have liked to chat with the manager at 8G1 some more, we had places to be! Plane fueled, sumps drained, ConUS claim pic taken, and we piled back in. Weather was still CAVU but forecast to have a bit of muck closer to Philly, so I'd filed IFR. However, I decided to pick up my clearance in the air from Mansfield Approach.

I'd filed 8G1 -D> ACO -D> PTW -D> KLOM, but was almost immediately given a 140 vector to keep me clear of Cleveland's airspace. :dunno: Cleveland didn't seem like the type of place I'd normally have to avoid, but... Oh well. Shortly we were given 090, and eventually direct ACO and as filed.

A large portion of the outbound flight was a "march of the TRACONs." Madison, Milwaukee, Chicago (for a minute anyway), Midway, South Bend, Fort Wayne, Toledo, and Mansfield for the first leg. This flight began with Mansfield, Akron-Canton, Youngstown, and Pittsburgh.

As we neared the Ohio-Pennsylvania state line, the first clouds of the trip appeared. Just thin layers on the horizon. At first it looked like we'd be just over them, but they ended up skimming just above us before we left them behind to frame a pretty sunset:

070518_sunset.jpg

Photo by Kynan

We were finally handed off to our first Center of the trip, Cleveland Center, after exiting Pittsburgh's airspace. Around this time, we also gained one of those learning experiences that makes me really appreciate long cross countries like this...

We were over the hills of western PA when it started to look like we were approaching the ocean or some other large body of water. What the heck? We're in high ground in the middle of PA. Is there a big rainstorm up there maybe?

Nope... No rain observed. I ended up figuring out that the illusion was being caused by the haze in the air in combination with the ridges in the distance. We were able to see the close ridge and the trees on it just fine, but it was high enough and far enough away that it was blocking our view of the valley beyond, and the haze was obscuring the next ridge out in the distance. So, the top of the ridge looked like a shoreline. Interesting. Ya learn something new every day. :yes:

The sun had continued its retreat and left us in near-darkness as we crossed a ridge to reveal the city of Altoona, PA. Cleveland Center handed us off to New York Center, who rerouted us: Direct Lancaster, direct BUNTS, direct Wings. I had to inquire as to the identifier for BUNTS because it sounded like something else. Rather than do the "Bravo Uniform..." thing, the controller said "Y'know, short baseball hits. BUNTS." Heh. So, we punched that into the GPS and it made a very slight turn to the right.

Garminglow.jpg

Photo by Kynan

Darkness began to combine with IMC and the lack of civilization to obscure much of anything interesting outside the plane for a while. The OAT claimed -2C, but for the most part the moisture seemed to be avoiding us, and for the short period where any moisture stuck to the plane, it remained in liquid form.

New York Center handed us off to Harrisburg Approach to continue the march of the TRACONs. There was still just enough light in the sky to reveal that the tops weren't all that far above us, so I asked them for 11,000 to get on top, but they said they'd have to drop us down to 5 by the time we crossed Harrisburg anyway due to the Philly arrivals being above us. And, that's exactly what they did. We broke out to see the city appearing in front of us, the light at the end of a tunnel of wilderness.

Harrisburg.jpg

Photo by Kynan

They were able to clear us direct BUNTS before handing us off to Reading, who in turn handed us to Philly. We were cleared down to 4,000 and were well clear of the clouds at that altitude, so we began searching for the airport. There are a LOT of airports out there. For some reason, I didn't spot Wings via the beacon - I saw the REILs first. Well, whatever works. I cancelled IFR and turned left onto final. My best landing at Wings was the first, and while I was taxiing in, our welcoming crew called on CTAF and guided me to a tiedown.

And then, the fun really began. :D

fa8G1toKLOM.gif

Last edited:
Wings Fly-B-Q

After landing, Adam took us all over to his place and grilled up some awesome Philly cheesesteaks. Mmmm! Grant, Leslie, and Ed were there and we met Gary, Bob Ciotti, and Andrew Stanley as well, and I think I'm missing a couple but it's after 2 AM right now...

While we gulped down our sandwiches, Andrew began working on the pork. It was fun to watch, and he really knows what he's doing! *drool* I have some video of this part. After the meat was on its way to perfection in the smoker, we headed to the hotel for some much-needed sleep.

Saturday, Adam picked us up at 10:30 and we headed to Wings. After putting my brother on video duty, I went to park airplanes with Grant. Reminded me of the good ol' days as a lineman, playing Captain Eveready. :rofl: Aside from the usual airplanes seen at such events, there was a beautiful Swift and a CriCri. That is one tiny twin (for reference, Kate is 5'4")!

KateCriCri.jpg

Photo by Kate

The food was excellent!

Most people had participated in the taxi contests on their way in, but since I'd already been there overnight, I preflighted and jumped in the plane to try my luck. I decided to take it around the pattern so that I could log the time. I guess the 182 decided to show off her climb rate, too, and I heard some comments on that after I landed. With just me and two hours of fuel, she really shot up!

It was VERY bumpy, and at the end of my first trip around the pattern and a very bouncy ride down final, the bottom dropped out from under me just as I was beginning the flare. I bounced on the mains. I'd come in slow because I was so light, and I was in the full-barn-door-drag configuration so the plane slowed quickly and I lost elevator effectiveness and the nose dropped. :hairraise: That's the first time the 182 has ever porpoised on me, but I know exactly what happens if you let it continue: Prop strike. So, poured on the coals and went around.

The second time I managed to plant it safely on the ground and taxi to the other end of the runway for the contests. I hadn't watched anyone do them and I didn't realize we had such speed demons! I hit a few of the clay "friskies" but as I was going for accuracy and not speed, my 40-second time was WAY over Missa's 18.6 for the win. I did a dismal job on the spot parking too. The 182's cowl is so big that even at 6'4" I had to crane my neck to see the spot from the starting line! I ended up in line with it but about 3 feet short.

I did, however, win the award for furthest flown GA. :yes: I expect someone else to beat me next year!

As I've stated elsewhere, it was excellent meeting so many new PoAers. Unfortunately, somehow I managed to miss Arnold and Lee... Next time, guys!

After the non-overnighters left, we tore everything down and then went back to the hotel to chill for a bit. Adam picked us up again and took us on a tour of Philly. They have a neat-looking city hall, historic sights, lots of interesting stuff that I'll have to explore further on a longer visit someday. We ended up at an Italian restaurant - Good thing Adam had waited a good long time to pick us up at the hotel or we wouldn't have had any room for Italian food! After dinner, we headed back to the hotel again.

Sunday morning, Adam treated us to breakfast at his place before taking us back to the airport. We got one more pic with the overnighters:

overnighters.jpg

Photo by EdFred
Back row: Janelle, Kynan, Kent, Kate, Leslie, Grant, Adam.
Front row: Bob Ciotti with his funny-looking offspring... Okay, that's Bob's offspring hiding behind Hayden the gnome. :rofl:

I bought the Gleim commercial test prep and ASA commercial oral exam guides using my winnings from the "furthest flown GA to the FlyBQ" award, paid for our fuel, and we piled into the plane to head home.

3) KLOM->KUNV

A flaw in my checklists became clear as I was taxiing out for departure from Wings. I'm so used to the luxuries of flying from a nice class C that my basic procedure goes preflight -> engine start -> avionics on -> call for clearance. Doh! Gotta call on the phone if you want your clearance on the ground here.

Well, it was good VFR with a layer up around 5,000 feet so I elected to take off VFR and get the clearance in the air. Runup successful, and off we go again, with 271G trying to prove to the onlookers that she can climb fully loaded too.

I called up Philly Approach on 123.8 and asked for our clearance. "N271G, fly heading 300, squawk 4501." A minute later: "N271G, radar contact, advise ready to copy clearance."

"Go ahead for 271G."
"N271G, you're cleared to the University Park airport via direct Pottstown Victor 12 Boyer Victor 170 Ravine Victor 276 RASHE, climb and maintain 5000."

This is where I was glad I had a co-pilot! I read back the clearance, flew the plane, and punched Pottstown into the GPS while Kate studied the chart to find our new route. Pottstown was close enough that I had to tune it in Nav2 to fly outbound while programming the rest of the route into the GPS. (Hey, this old-fashioned Nav thing really does work! :rofl:)

During the climb we saw a DEEP hole in the ground... That's one heckuva quarry. Even at ~4000 feet we couldn't see the bottom and it wasn't very far laterally. Unfortunately, no pics of that.

We were mostly in IMC at 5,000 feet, toodling along through the bumps, wishing we could get 6,000. "271G, traffic 10 o'clock and 6 miles, regional jet descending out of 8,000." "Negative contact, 271G is IMC." "OK, well, we'll get you up to 6 after he passes you." Cool.

LeavingPhilly.jpg

Photo by Kate

After getting cleared to 6000, we were handed off to Reading and subsequently Harrisburg and New York Center. We weren't out of the tops at 6,000 and I ended up getting 0.8 of actual IMC on this 1.6 hour leg. We did get enough breaks in the clouds to catch a glimpse of things on the ground here and there.

While on NY Center frequency, I heard a Mesaba flight inbound to UNV state that they were still IMC at 4000 feet. I figured we'd probably end up shooting an approach, so I started to brief the ILS 24. Several minutes later, the controller asked our intentions and I asked for vectors to the ILS. He turned us northbound and cleared us down to 4,000 where we were below the broken layer.

After turning us back around roughly toward the localizer, the controller reported that he was showing some weather on his scope between PENUE (the FAF) and the field. I could see a nice dark rain shaft over in that general direction, but elected to continue and get on the localizer so I could see exactly where we'd be hitting it.

Once on the localizer, it looked to me like we'd be behind the heavy part of the rain, which was moving eastbound, and we were cleared for the approach. Before reaching PENUE the rain had given way and the field popped into sight. It's certainly an interesting approach, as you fly what looks like a right downwind to Bellefonte (I don't think I've ever seen two airports so close before!) and then there's a big hill right underneath you close in to the field that looks, well... Interesting.

UNVILS.jpg

Photo by Kate

As it turned out, the weather situation worked out just right with our flight path. If we'd gone straight to the airport, we'd have gone into the heavy rain, but the extra time spent getting onto the ILS put us north of the storm's path and delayed us just long enough to get into KUNV after it had already passed.

faKLOMtoKUNV.gif

We rented a car, headed to the grandparents' for a few hours, and ate yet another big yummy meal, this time Grandma's homemade lasagna. Mmmmm.

4) KUNV->7W5

We spent enough time with the grandparents that my previously-filed flight plan out of KUNV had expired by the time I called NY Center on the RCO. Doh! But, the weather had improved so I decided to just get going and air-file. We took off and headed west, climbing through a nice big sucker hole and got up to 6500 where we were in the clear. It was so nice up there I actually had second thoughts about re-filing, but I decided to go ahead and file and just ask for VFR on top as long as we could maintain it.

Permission granted! It was nice and smooth at 6500 and we were treated to another nice sunset on top:

SunsetHome.jpg

Photo by Kynan

We managed to stay VFR on top until after Pittsburgh, where I asked for a descent to 4000, which put us underneath the clouds and dropped the headwind considerably: Our groundspeed had been sitting around 87 knots at 6500, but increased into the hundred teens at 4000. It was late enough that the air was smooth down there too. To top it off, Cleveland Approach didn't seem to have any problem with us this time so we went direct the entire way.

7W5 has the slowest-rotating beacon there is. I almost didn't see it because it didn't so much flash as fade in and back out! Kate found it first. I was also looking for a runway because we should have been almost perfectly aligned with it and I'd attempted to light it up about 15 miles out. Well, it apparently wasn't listening very well, 'cuz after Kate spotted the beeeeeeaaaaaaaaccccccccoooooooonnnnnnn I tried again and the runway magically appeared. :) More cheap fuel, drain the sumps, and it was time for the home stretch...

faKUNVto7W5.gif

Last edited:
5) 7W5->KMSN

The leg home started routinely enough. We took off and pointed towards KELSI, which is the "magic" intersection for getting around Chicago Approach and it's where you'll normally be cleared to if you're /G and going around. I was sure this flight plan had expired too, so I air-filed with a Toledo approach controller who sounded very happy to actually have something to do.

I had initially planned on 4,000 feet but we ended up at 6,000. Luckily, the winds seemed to have shifted a bit so that we actually had quite reasonable groundspeeds up there. The air was smooth, the moon was rising, and the frequencies were quiet as we were handed from Toledo to Fort Wayne to Chicago Center.

Now, the trick with filing to KELSI is to wait until there's no chance they'll send you over the lake and ask for direct Madison (or wherever you're going) when able so that they'll give it to you as soon as you've passed Chicago Approach airspace. So, after I'd been with Chicago Center for a while and was handed off once, I asked for direct Madison when able. Thus began a conversation I never expected to have:

"Chicago Center, 271G, request direct Madison when able."
"Uhh, 271G, you're leaving my airspace anyway. Contact Chicago Approach, 125.0."
"Chicago approach, 25.0, 271G, g'night."

"Chicago Approach, Skylane 271G, level 6,000."
"271G, Chicago altimeter 29.92."

Here we pause for a few minutes. Just after we'd spotted the Gary-Chicago airport (GYY), the big surprise came:

"271G, are you direct Madison?"
"Negative, 271G is filed direct KELSI, direct Madison."
"Uhh, I can't find KELSI in my computer would you like direct Madison?"
me: :goofy:

So, we were cleared direct Madison. I punched it in to the 430 and watched in awe as the airplane pointed itself straight at Chicago.

"Holy ****. I can't believe we got that!"

The turn pointed us pretty much straight up the Chicago Skyway, which is the bright line of lights toward the right side of this picture:

Skyway.jpg

Photo by Kynan

Still in awe, I couldn't help but look at what was going to happen next. I punched the GPS into cursor mode and scrolled up and grinned. We were gonna go right over O'Hare. :D That was the last I looked at the GPS for a while, as the sights outside were too cool to miss:

ShoreStrut.jpg

Photo by Kynan

We got some pictures of Midway, which were somewhat blurry. It was surprisingly dark. I couldn't see the runways at all, just the outline around the terminal and the fact that... Well, where else in Chicago will you find a perfect square that's dark? Heh.

The other interesting thing is that downtown is one of the darkest parts of the city from the air:

DowntownNight.jpg

Photo by Kynan

Listening to Approach, I could hear that they were landing to the east, and I spotted several planes landing as we neared O'Hare. Then, we were in the midst of "The other FRZ", looking straight down at the big one:

OhareNight.jpg

Photo by Kynan

I watched as the roads I'm familiar with disappeared off into the distance, and looked for airports. We flew almost right between 10C and C81. As the city lights began to fade, one more parting shot of Chicago:

LeavingChicagoBeacon.jpg

Photo by Kynan

Oddly enough, we were actually handed off to Rockford Approach before we were even out of the Chicago class B.

We were tired eager to get home, but the awe of our trip over the forbidden city fueled us the rest of the way, and shortly we descended into Madison:

ApproachingMSN.jpg

Photo by Kynan

Cleared for the visual, I flew the pattern to runway 14 and called Chicago Center back on the ground to cancel IFR; I also called Wisconsin Aviation on Unicom to come put the plane back in the hangar. I taxied up to the door at the South ramp and shut down at 12:40 AM.

For the trip, around 1400nm, 14.0 total time (including the 0.5 for the contests), 1.3 actual IMC, many new friends, and a lot of memories that won't soon be forgotten. Thanks to everyone involved for making it happen! :yes:

fa7W5toKMSN.gif

Last edited:
What a great account and pictures, Kent. Thanks for sharing. It was great to meet you for the first time too!

Totally cool heading over the city at night! But I didn't read those magic words: "cleared into class Bravo!" The only time I've been cleared through ORD Bravo VFR was after midnight.

Hmmm..... Commercial XC night flight experience at a Controlled field. Touch & go at ORD, with quick photo of GoFlyAmerica sign?

Awesome Kent. The last time I overflew ORD was something like 20 years ago, I can't believe the controller sent you direct MSN because he was too lazy to look up KELSI. Some folks have all the luck. Nice write up.

Great pictures and write up Kent. :yes: Sounds like you enjoyed your trip.

1400 nm in 7.5 hrs? What kind of 182 were you flying?

Gee, I thought 182 referred to knots :rofl:

Outstanding write up Kent. It was a pleasure to meet you and your crew. Hopefully we can do it all over again at Gastons.

Am I the only one that cannot see the pix????:dunno:

Am I the only one that cannot see the pix????:dunno:

The pix displayed fine for me. I occasionally have a problem where images from POA get excluded in my browser security settings (Firefox) and I have to "unexclude" them.

Totally cool heading over the city at night! But I didn't read those magic words: "cleared into class Bravo!" The only time I've been cleared through ORD Bravo VFR was after midnight.

Hmmm..... Commercial XC night flight experience at a Controlled field. Touch & go at ORD, with quick photo of GoFlyAmerica sign?

He was IFR. Didn't need the magic words. :yes:

Sounds like a great trip.

He was IFR. Didn't need the magic words. :yes:

Sounds like a great trip.
Ah yes, it was OUTBOUND that he was VFR around Chicago. My bad!

BTW, I agree with Adam. OUTSTANDING writeup and photos! You're going to make me start carrying a camera in my lap instead of my flight bag!

Despite three of us being 6 feet or taller, there was plenty of leg room for all.
*Disclaimer: Anyone sitting behind me in an airplane always has a lot of legroom. :rofl:

"Aircraft calling for flight following, unable."
Specifically, the Chicago controller said, "I don't have time" and went right into giving an instruction to another plane.

Our groundspeed had been sitting around 87 knots at 6500, but increased into the hundred teens at 4000.
Since the GNS430W has a bug in it and its E6-B function doesn't work, I used my ever-reliable 1998 vintage cardboard E6-B to compute the actual winds aloft. The wind up at 6,500 was a few degrees off our nose at 49 knots. :hairraise:

Kent, excellent story! The trip was awesome! I think the best part was seeing Chicago at night like that... not only because it was totally awesome-looking, but because I thought we were pretty lucky to get to do that. I learned quite a bit on this adventure.

Since the GNS430W has a bug in it and its E6-B function doesn't work, I used my ever-reliable 1998 vintage cardboard E6-B to compute the actual winds aloft. The wind up at 6,500 was a few degrees off our nose at 49 knots. :hairraise:

im glad im not the only one who does this.now ill be able to tell my students that there are more crazy people like me when they look at me funny

im glad im not the only one who does this.now ill be able to tell my students that there are more crazy people like me when they look at me funny

Cardboard?!?!? I have the aluminum model, and it's with me on every flight.

Great post, Chicago at night is awsome. That Flightaware is one to save !

Back