A really cheap pilot

Clip4

Final Approach
Display Name

Display name:
Cli4ord
So a pilot flying a totally VFR diverts into an airport with an FBO with fuel among the cheapest in the state and a $5 a night tie down fee waived with any fuel purchase.

So this cheap ass taxis in and see a large open hanger and without bothering to even inquire with the FBO pulls his plane into the FBOs storage hanger to wait out the weather. When discovered, relocates his person to the FBO lounge where he sits there watching the radar for 6 hours.

He departs the next day as the FBO opens and waves goodby to the line staff as he beats feet down the taxiway to avoid being charged.

I am sure he is going to feel shocked when he receives a bill for the hangar and probably will go online complaining about FBO fees.

O.K., post his N number so we can check him out.

I agree, a waiverable $5 isn’t much to ask. After a long flight, a restroom can be handy.

So a pilot flying a totally VFR diverts into an airport with an FBO with fuel among the cheapest in the state and a $5 a night tie down fee waived with any fuel purchase.

So this cheap ass taxis in and see a large open hanger and without bothering to even inquire with the FBO pulls his plane into the FBOs storage hanger to wait out the weather. When discovered, relocates his person to the FBO lounge where he sits there watching the radar for 6 hours.

He departs the next day as the FBO opens and waves goodby to the line staff as he beats feet down the taxiway to avoid being charged.

I am sure he is going to feel shocked when he receives a bill for the hangar and probably will go online complaining about FBO fees.

Don’t worry about it. It was just the line staff. They just figured you already paid the office staff. One question. After watching ‘radar’ for six hours in the lounge, where did you sleep?

Don’t worry about it. It was just the line staff. They just figured you already paid the office staff. One question. After watching ‘radar’ for six hours in the lounge, where did you sleep?

Everyone is still trying to figure that one out.

The title should have been "dishonest pilot". Being cheap is fine (I am one), but using something without checking how much it is, and then running off has nothing to do with being cheap.

Not to worry as long as they have his tail number.

Not to worry, I always tape a different N number on my plane.....:lol::lol::lol:

No different than 2 people walking up to a buffet and getting one plate then sharing that plate.

Cheap, and basically shoplifting are two separate things.

Have you gotten that bill yet Chip?

I’m as cheap as they come. That guy is an idiot and embarrassment to GA.

So when the weather is bad you taxi in to an airport and squat in any hangar with a door open?

Of course. I just tell them my name is Clip4 right before I do my runup while I still in the hangar. They always just nod and wink. ;)

Of course. I just tell them my name is Clip4 right before I do my runup while I still in the hangar. They always just nod and wink. ;)

Lachlan I told you **I** was using Clip4! Your supposed to drop a different alias! You're going to get us caught!:confused::eek::p

Clip3? Or Clippy?:
Screen Shot 2018-06-25 at 4.45.48 PM.png

At least he didn't take up any space in the HangAr. That would be cheap. As long as clothing hanging devices were the only thing being used for free I'm cool with that.

Are you sure he didn’t check with the FBO ahead of time?

screen-shot-2018-06-25-at-4-45-48-pm-png.64372

It looks like a few of you are trying to be funny, would you like some help with that?

Cheapness is subjective. We all have our criteria. We all draw the line somewhere. And I know some cheepskates, I could tell you stories all night. (just keep buying me beer) LOL

If I am asked to pay $5 for the use of an FBO, their crew car and good service, I don't mind to keep the FBO/airport running.
If I was expected to pay $38 at an FBO for no service whatsoever, only to drop off a passenger, I will surely go elsewhere.
Again, cheapness is subjective.

Cheapness is subjective. We all have our criteria. We all draw the line somewhere. And I know some cheepskates, I could tell you stories all night. (just keep buying me beer) LOL

If I am asked to pay $5 for the use of an FBO, their crew car and good service, I don't mind to keep the FBO/airport running.
If I was expected to pay $38 at an FBO for no service whatsoever, only to drop off a passenger, I will surely go elsewhere.
Again, cheapness is subjective.

Wow, $5 for the use of the building, great service and a crew car.

So when the weather is bad you taxi in to an airport and squat in any hangar with a door open?
So the weather was bad? How bad? Was the hangar empty? Did he have to touch any other planes? Why was the hangar open if the FBO was closed? If the FBO wasn't closed, and you saw a pilot come in in front of bad weather, did you offer him the hangar? Did you tell him about the $5 fee? Did he buy any fuel?

Under some circumstances, I might put my plane in an open and empty hangar, if the choice was leaving it out in a hurricane. If there was an obvious contact, I'd ask first, but sometimes you do what you have to and beg forgiveness later. Not going to start bashing without more facts.

Last edited:
As someone said there is difference b/w cheap and dishonest. This guy was dishonest but many of us could be cheap from time to time ( careful with our money in other words ) . I do shop for cheap fuel and call them about landing fees etc and change destinations accordingly.

So the weather was bad? How bad? Was the hangar empty? Did he have to touch any other planes? Why was the hangar open if the FBO was closed? If the FBO wasn't closed, and you saw a pilot come in in front of bad weather, did you offer him the hangar? Did you tell him about the $5 fee? Did he buy any fuel?

Under some circumstances, I might put my plane in an open and empty hangar, if the choice was leaving it out in a hurricane. If their was an obvious contact, I'd ask first, but sometimes you do what you have to and beg forgiveness later. Not going to start bashing without more facts.

Foregiveness? How about hey guys I wanted my plane out of the weather, how much do I owe you for the hangar use? FYI, the large commercial hanger was not empty.

Should something like this happen in the future, I just going to call the police on a suspicious person.

Last edited:
Foregiveness? How about hey guys I wanted my plane out of the weather, how much do I owe you for the hangar use? FYI, the large commercial hanger was not empty.

Should something like this happen in the future, I just going to call the police on a suspicious person.
So you were there? Did you talk to him?

My buddy was telling me a story the other night about how he flew into bad weather recently so he decided to land at a nearby airport and hide in a hangar that his brother owns. He lands, pulls in, waits out the weather, talks to his brother for a little while, then leaves. Meanwhile, one of his brother's employees gets all huffy about it, telling people that the pilot is cheap and a thief, and blah blah blah. The pilot, in his kind way, decided not to tell his brother about the ramp rat so that the guy wouldn't lose his job. Weird, huh? ;)

My buddy was telling me a story the other night about how he flew into bad weather recently so he decided to land at a nearby airport and hide in a hangar that his brother owns. He lands, pulls in, waits out the weather, talks to his brother for a little while, then leaves. Meanwhile, one of his brother's employees gets all huffy about it, telling people that the pilot is cheap and a thief, and blah blah blah. The pilot, in his kind way, decided not to tell his brother about the ramp rat so that the guy wouldn't lose his job. Weird, huh? ;)

Bad enough we have one ripping of strangers, we have another on ripping off his own brother.

Back