A "real" Part 61 syllabus

Part time student. That may be part of it. I took 9 months from my first lesson until the check ride. When I shut down at the end of the ride I had about 59 hours in the log. Would have been less, but we had to make two trips from OLM to S50 as we got weathered out the first time and only did the oral, so something in the neighborhood of 55 hours is about where I was. Syllabus? We trained until I knew the stuff in the PTS.

And don't ask about how many years it took from the first lesson for the IR until I passed that ride in September... :eek:

I think if you look at this in the context of a future student pilot, it really seems fishy. You give them a printed product based on 40 hours but then you tell them that's a fallacy and we will barely follow it.
I feel your pain. I, too, struggled with this "phony 40 hour syllabus" for many many years.
But it is up to you, the instructor, to educate the student about government regulations.

It might help if you know and share some background about the "40 hours".

The 40 hours minimum to Private was established long, long ago when civilian pilot training was much much more simple.

There were no coded airspaces to memorize and deal with. There was simple "controlled" and "uncontrolled". And there were not that many controlled spaces, like Towered airports.

Minimum Equipment Lists? Ha! You gotta be kiddin'! Everybody learned to fly out of a non-towered airport in a fabric covered tailwheel, and there was no PTS. The Examiner checked to see if you could fly some of the maneuvers in the Flight Training Handbook, and in his opinion, if you were safe, you passed.

Flight time was from take-off to landing, so you really got 40 hours in the air, not 35 hours air time, and 5 hours on the hobbs taxiing and running up.

You didn't have to fly 10/15 minutes to the "Practice area", you could just get a few miles away from the airport.

You didn't need to learn to talk on the radio. Or use radio navigation.

There was no instrument flying requirement.

There was no night flying requirement.

As the Government has added these regulations and skill requirements over the years, they have not upped the training time requirement.

They have made a few proposals to add time, but have always been stopped by the special interest groups, such as AOPA and others.

Now I use this antique "40 hour minimum" as a starting place to begin explaining the basic flaws that you, and all pilots, will encounter dealing with government regs.

Remember, it isn't just 'the FAA', it's the entire Federal Government and all it's political flaws.

Student "the FAA says I only need 40 hours"

Me "Negative Ghostrider, the FAA reference to 40 is a minimum, not a standard. You need what you need...remember, that's the minimum, the average is 50-55, I pledge to you to be as efficient with your resources as I possibly can"

Student "are you serious? That's a 25% increase from the FAA MINIMUM"

Me. "yes, but it's like a baseball inning vs football quarter...youre performance dictates the completion. Again, our goal at superpilotschool.com is to make a proficient, safe pilot that I would let my grandmother fly with...it has been our experience that we rarely get pilots through with the minimal amount of training time.

Student: Wow, Mr CFI, I see you care about my wallet and my safety. I must be looking at this like I am *entitled* to a PPC as soon as I get 40 hours. Thanks for straightening my thinking out. Lets do this thing!
FTFY:D

I am not a CFI but from my perspective I see your "issue" possibly being in your communication. You should realize the impact your words have on your students. Ask anyone on this board two questions...."Who sat beside you in third grade" or "who soloed you"...I will bet that 100% get the "who soloed you" question right. Use that influence wisely.

If a student is not ready mentally and financially to complete PPC training based on a realistic time and money budget, I think it is better for all involved for the student to make the begin/wait decision with realistic information, not scripted information based on the absolute best case scenario.

Part of your initial interface with any student is to let them in on the fact that NOTHING in aviation should be based on the bare minimums or best case scenarios...as a CFI, you should be stressing the fact that there will be pitfalls, detours, waits and any number of "issues" that crop up along the way.

In aviation, this is a fact of life....or if you ignore this axiom, it can be a cause of death.

Last edited:
Back