A "Real" airliner

Ghery

Touchdown! Greaser!
Display Name

Display name:
Ghery Pettit
While waiting for my flight from Johannesburg to Frankfurt on Monday I caught a real airliner departing JNB. It was hot out and I'll bet those guys were working up a sweat. Still would have liked to have joined them. Had to be more room in that DC-3 than in the back of that Lufthansa 747. :D

Last edited:
Zoom in and it looks like the pilot has his window open. Try that in a 747 sometime...

It's nice to see real airplanes still flying and being used in the world.

A real nice time machine; Brings back memories of my first airline ride.

It sure does look like the window is slid back.

John

OK Guys& Gals,

Tell me what model is that aircraft?

fgcason said:
Zoom in and it looks like the pilot has his window open.

And it looks like he has his elbow out in the wind. Which hand is on the wheel and which is on the throttles?

Silly me. The Co-pilot is flying!:rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

NC19143 said:
OK Guys& Gals,

Tell me what model is that aircraft?
It's a C-47 but more like a Dakota, as designated by the British. What do you mean, what model, is that? OK, what role did Jack Northrup have in the DC-3?

Richard said:
Those pics are great. Is that you leaning so aloof against the tail feathers? I see it looks like they set the altimeter to base elev and are those charts on the yoke? App plates for Antartica?
Yes, that's me posing by the tail.

This was in 2002, before I became a pilot, so I didn't think to investigate the charts on the yoke. I just thought it was a cool-looking plane. (You'd only want to fly VFR down there, though.)

If you like the DC-3 pics, I've got a similar series for a Russian Antonov-3 which landed at Pole once:
http://amanda.wisc.edu/kath/polepage/biplane.html

That story has a punch line, though... they had brought the wrong kind of fuel, which gel-ed up in the -40 degree weather. They couldn't start the engine and were stranded at the South Pole for about a week and a half. They were eventually "rescued" by one of our C-130's, but the Antonov stayed behind, was put on the berms for the entire winter. It stayed there for 2 years before parts and a mechanic were brought in and they finally flew it out. The plane was part of our "skyline" for quite a while, and we always joked about fixing it up and going for a little winter joyride... B)

--Kath

Looks like they put some special engines or at least cowls on that DC-3 at the pole. Miiiighty cold.

kath said:

Let me guess -the black wings and tail were to aid in fz ppte removal in wintery climes? Seems like it was always way easier to remove ice from the colored parts of the airplane than the Vestal White.

Plus SAR.

AN3 with the wrong fuel at the pole? :hairraise: The ultimate in poor planning!

kath said:
Yes, that's me posing by the tail.

This was in 2002, before I became a pilot, so I didn't think to investigate the charts on the yoke. I just thought it was a cool-looking plane. (You'd only want to fly VFR down there, though.)

If you like the DC-3 pics, I've got a similar series for a Russian Antonov-3 which landed at Pole once:
http://amanda.wisc.edu/kath/polepage/biplane.html

That story has a punch line, though... they had brought the wrong kind of fuel, which gel-ed up in the -40 degree weather. They couldn't start the engine and were stranded at the South Pole for about a week and a half. They were eventually "rescued" by one of our C-130's, but the Antonov stayed behind, was put on the berms for the entire winter. It stayed there for 2 years before parts and a mechanic were brought in and they finally flew it out. The plane was part of our "skyline" for quite a while, and we always joked about fixing it up and going for a little winter joyride... B)

--Kath
So you've been to the pole several times? My understanding is that the same scientists and support crews don't make multiple trips very often. That would make you among the special elite.

Let'sgoflying! said:
Let me guess -the black wings and tail were to aid in fz ppte removal in wintery climes? Seems like it was always way easier to remove ice from the colored parts of the airplane than the Vestal White.

Plus SAR.

AN3 with the wrong fuel at the pole? :hairraise: The ultimate in poor planning!
When they made the emergency med flight for that woman dr the Beavers the Canadians sent were drained of all their fluids upon landing and taken inside to be heated. Antifreeze was run through all the systems.

Richard said:
Antifreeze was run through all the systems.

Its standard practice in the cold north to run antifreeze through the pilot's system on those very cold nights too.

Back